Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

He's regained the form he showed a few years ago and his current season numbers are the best of his career. 

If we manage to offload a few of our ageing midfielders, I wouldn't be opposed to having a scoring CM again.

On 16/05/2022 at 14:27, Fulham Broadway said:

Real Madrid sucking up so many players on freebies -Mbappe reportedly done a five year deal now

Looks to be the future of major transfers.

Some clubs, notably Bayern of course, have been working this way for a long time. Now it seems the top players have bought into the idea of running down their contracts then helping themselves to much of the money which would otherwise have been paid as a transfer fee. An inevitable development really. The only surprise is that it has taken this long.

Perhaps practises, legalities, and costs around insuring players against carear ending injuries have been an impediment. With players now easily able to afford the premiums to extend the cover to take future potential earnings into account they no longer run the risk of losing out financially if they let value of the club's insurance policy run down along with their contracts. Just speculating here and I could be wildly wrong of course.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

6 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Looks to be the future of major transfers. Some clubs, notably Bayern, have been working this way for a long time but it seems the top players have now fully bought into the idea that helping themselves to the transfer fee makes more sense than letting their old club have it. An inevitable development really. The only surprise is that it has taken this long.

It’s something we should be doing as well. Without a single guy pumping his personal fortune into the club any longer we should be the smart club that exploits the free agent market much more. 

Lot of very good players there. Likewise with players in the last year of their contracts.

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

It’s something we should be doing as well. Without a single guy pumping his personal fortune into the club any longer we should be the smart club that exploits the free agent market much more. 

Lot of very good players there. Likewise with players in the last year of their contracts.

No matter what non-Chelsea types may say or think I will never regret that Roman Abramovich was Chelsea's owner. I am gutted he was forced out and will always respect what he has done for this club on and off the pitch. That said, I am optimistic about the takeover because I think there are many things which can be done better than they were under Roman. This provides 'easy' opportunities for the new stewards to hit the ground running and take the club forward.

Smarter transfer activity is one such opportunity. We will have to play it smart however. We are not at the top of food chain so, for example, if Bayern want Dembele and satisfy him that he will play, then that is a free agent deal we will not be able to complete. Roman tried to circumvent this problem by throwing money at it. Either by offering big transfer fees while the player was still in contract, by putting big agent's fees on the table, or by paying very big contracts of course. The new people in charge are going to have discipline themselves to avoid the same behaviour, and do so for one crucially important reason.

It seems to me that Roman often failed to read the runes when the bigger clubs held back from matching his transfer offers, He was satisfied with winning the battle but didn't realise that this was sometimes because the others weren't actually fighting. As a result he often paid expensively for players no one else at Chelsea's level wanted. Many here didn't agree with me when I said that Liverpool's, "We can't afford Timo Werner.", statement was just an excuse. They mostly still don't agree, but an excuse is what it was. If Pool had rated Timo highly enough they'd have paid up and they'd have got him. Watch them fall over themselves to shovel money into Dortmund's account if Bellingham is available this summer. (I know he said he won't be moving and that's good news in my book because we will probably never get him but we certainly wouldn't get him this year.)

The change of stewardship brings fresh, perhaps more patient, eyes to many areas of the operation and I'm not unhappy about that.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Looks to be the future of major transfers.

Some clubs, notably Bayern of course, have been working this way for a long time. Now it seems the top players have bought into the idea of running down their contracts then helping themselves to much of the money which would otherwise have been paid as a transfer fee. An inevitable development really. The only surprise is that it has taken this long.

Perhaps practises, legalities, and costs around insuring players against carear ending injuries have been an impediment. With players now easily able to afford the premiums to extend the cover to take future potential earnings into account they no longer run the risk of losing out financially if they let value of the club's insurance policy run down along with their contracts. Just speculating here and I could be wildly wrong of course.

Think you have a point there - it can also be seen as an ideal situation for clubs, as players can be motivated to perform to impress potential suitors.

We will see it more and more of it because the transfers are so high, even for average players. More and more players going into the final year of the contract will run them down,  because no club will want to pay the amount demanded... in the next 5-10 years, it will become usual. Agents will have to find more creative ways of acquiring their pound of flesh.

19 hours ago, Blues Forever said:

His wages are ridiculous and when they gave him the contract, they knew they already had a no.1 keeper. It is good having competition but to give the reported wages to a disputed no.1 is ridiculous. But it is United...

On 17/05/2022 at 15:23, LAM09 said:

He's regained the form he showed a few years ago and his current season numbers are the best of his career. 

If we manage to offload a few of our ageing midfielders, I wouldn't be opposed to having a scoring CM again.

Swap deal for his Boytoy Jorginho seems to be the way to go.