January transfer market

YouNameIt

In the transfer forum section there is alot of (bullshit) rumours going on and discussions about alot of players. With January closing in, I thought we could discuss and try to figure out (with some facts perhaps?) what the possible targets are for Chelsea.

- Anelka is confirmed to be leaving, with Alex most likely to do so aswell.

- I think we can all agree Modric and Cahill are not targets of interest anymore.

1) For what positions are we in dire need of new players? - According to me, a CB and possibly a RB is an absolute MUST. Also, id love to see us signing an established striker. Someone like Benzema perhaps.

2) What players are most likely to be signed? And why?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A centre-back, a winger and maybe a playmaker. CB is self-explanatory; Anelka used to be played most often as a winger, hence no more cover if we don't sign anyone (only Malouda and Kalou); And since last summer we've failed to sign a playmaker, but I'm not sure we'll be going for one in January, if not, then in summer most likely... I seriously doubt we'll be going after a right-back and striker.

I don't think a RB is necessary at this point. Ivanovic has slotted in perfectly, and can occasionally fill in the gap at CB. Saying that, we do need a CB, just to have someone there for the sake of having a back up.

As far as the winger situation goes, I would honestly love a winger for the left instead of the right, since I'm starting to like Danny on the right permanently. Unless AVB is going to change it up and have us play two up front; if so, get someone who is able to play on the right. I say this for the simple fact that if we can get someone on that left, we can have Mata being that creative midfielder in the middle which I guess has usually/kinda/sorta been left up to Meireles as of recently?

A striker/CF is definitely a must IMO. Drogba getting old and possibly leaving, Torres still out of form it seems, and Danny looking good on the wings. I'm a big Pato fan, so I will always be pushing for him, but anyone who can put the ball in the net at a decent rate and is a quality player is fine. Cavani doesn't look likely, and I don't see us being linked with a whole lot others (as far as I know, someone correct me and and fill me in if wrong), so I would love Pato. Looks to be highly likely in my opinion especially with Milan being interested in Tevez apparently, and Pato falling out of favour with the coach...

So to sum up... A CB, a winger - right or left depending on the desired formation and a striker.

I'd say a new right back is a more pressing issue than the centre back one considering if Ivan gets injured Bosingwa is our only option at right back but if a centre back gets injured Ivan moves to the middle and our new right back steps in.

Also Ivan is not really a right back, even if he is very good at it.

I'd say a new right back is a more pressing issue than the centre back one considering if Ivan gets injured Bosingwa is our only option but if a centre back gets injured Ivan moves to the middle and our new right back steps in.

You forgot Ferreira ;)

Right now, after i saw Sturridge and Ivanovic playing great in their new/not original positions, im not so sure about getting

new players to the starting 11 in January. Their is one more position that people are not so sure about, the attacking midfielder in our

trio on midfield (i mean the position of Lampard and Meireles). I dont think we will get a new one, Boas was asked about Modric

and said we will get Essien back and it will be enough. I agree with him, Lamps and Meireles are great players and rotation between

them could be good enough. Ramirez, Lampard, Ess, Raul, Romeo, even Mata(if a new winger will come and take he's place as a LW

once in a while), we have enough good midfielders for this season i think.

As for squad players, Anelka and Alex are leaving, so a winger and a CB are a must. Winger was a must before we knew

Anelka is about to leave, so maybe bring even two wingers, cause we just dont have any good replacement for Mata and Daniel.

But i dont think its realistic... About a new RB, Ivan as i said was fantastic lately, but if we can sell Bosingwa, it will be nice to bring

someone to compete with Ivan. But thats not a must thing to do in Jan imo...

Thats it for me.

Why is cahill not of interest anymore? I agree the modders saga is over but I reckon we will make a move for cahill still. Don't care who comes in just as long as its avbs choices.

Because AVB said so to chelseafc.com a few days ago.

We wont overhaul in January, but we MUST!, at least get 2 players, and that's a centre back, Gary Cahill (who goes for less than 10 million), then we should do our big spending on a centre mid, a playmaker with a lot of creativity and eye for a pass. Like last January we spent over 70 million on two players, why can't we do it this season?.

I reckon we'll sign a couple but agree the over haul wont happn in January be a random time for it to happen anyway.

Everyone seems to go a bit mental in this window..prices go up...Torres etc!But we need a couple for defintate if we're letting some go otherwise we'll have some injury diaster and become stuck