5 things to learn from Newcastle's game

1- Our team is much more suited to counter-attacking football , making full use of the likes of sturridge , ramires and mata .

2- AVB finally dropped the high defensive line , and Terry was back to his heroics , also we kept a rare clean sheet .

3- Sturridge adds a lot to the team , and he is a great threat to have but him working on his finishing and passing game is a MUST.

4- Oriol Romue has established himself as a starter in the team , and he fully deserves it .

5- Drogba or Torres was always gonna be a hard choice for any manager , specially with both trying to make a point of how shitty they both are ... However i think if we are to play counter-attacking football may be Torres would benefit from more space and channels to run to as he has thrice the pace and movement of drogba .

I have no doubt that AVB will keep the same tactics for the next couple of games but the BIG question is , will AVB change his philosophy to counter-attacking one OR this is just something temporary till we get out of our bad "moment" and to save our season .

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with mostly everything but think Drogba is more suited to our game because (like I've said in the match thread twice, apologies) he drags defenders with him which leaves more space for Danny on the right.

Anyway Mata & Sturridge are more important to our team now than either of those two. Danny does have to work on his finishing though but I'm sure he will. He's played less than a year of first-team football and was only playing reserve league football before this so he hasn't been a regular for long at all. He will improve with time

4- Oriol Romue has established himself as a starter in the team , and he fully deserves it .

I gave you rep for saying this.. I fully agree with you.. he looks more switched on than Mikel when he's in that holding position, and he's a lot like a faster Makelele in a way!

- Drogba was solid, but I think Torres was better in the few moments he was in the pitch.

- VB as usual was unable to make a huge impact in the second half when we were bombardaded by Newcastle.

- Terry was solid, but Lampard was really awful but Meireles was worst.

- Oriol is here to put Mike in his place: out of the club.

- Sturridge is becoming a killer winger.

- Mata IS NOT a winger, stop using the "Mata - CF - Sturridge" thing. We are playing like Barcelona in a 4-3-1-2.

1- Our team is much more suited to counter-attacking football , making full use of the likes of sturridge , ramires and mata .

Yes but we were helped by Newcastle coming at us. When we're made to force the issue against 8 or 9 men behind the ball, we often flounder. Newcastle played right into our hands by giving us space and time to run into.

- Drogba was solid, but I think Torres was better in the few moments he was in the pitch.

- VB as usual was unable to make a huge impact in the second half when we were bombardaded by Newcastle.

- Terry was solid, but Lampard was really awful but Meireles was worst.

- Oriol is here to put Mike in his place: out of the club.

- Sturridge is becoming a killer winger.

- Mata IS NOT a winger, stop using the "Mata - CF - Sturridge" thing. We are playing like Barcelona in a 4-3-1-2.

most of your points are OK but dont agree about Meireles

Very harsh. It's a hostile atmosphere against a team very much in form. They are definitely going to have periods where they're on top. And they only had 2 or 3 really good opportunities. For the most part we defended quite well.

And Meireles I agree wasn't that great but Lamps HAD to be taken off he was a liability in that midfield. And Raul produced two or three brilliant balls to start some counter attacks.

Romeu was a stand-out performer today for me amongst others... they way he wins the ball is a joy to watch, good bravery and doesn't seem to be a diving cunt like his compatriot in barca.. so I agree with your point on Romeu

Very harsh. It's a hostile atmosphere against a team very much in form. They are definitely going to have periods where they're on top. And they only had 2 or 3 really good opportunities. For the most part we defended quite well.

And Meireles I agree wasn't that great but Lamps HAD to be taken off he was a liability in that midfield. And Raul produced two or three brilliant balls to start some counter attacks.

VB should changed the team earlier. That 4-3-3 formation with Kalou-Torres-Sturridge was perfect for a counter attack. Drogba wasnt doing anything.

I agree that Lampard should left, but Meireles did not added anything in the mid, actually I thought we got more vulnerable with him, but in this case its not VB fault.

VB should changed the team earlier. That 4-3-3 formation with Kalou-Torres-Sturridge was perfect for a counter attack. Drogba wasnt doing anything.

Okay, true. But it's not like we were under crazy amounts of pressure. Like for example the way Newcastle were under pressure last week against Man Utd in the last 20 or so minutes. It wasn't that bad but yes I also feel that Drogba should have gone off 10 minutes before