Bundesliga Thread

Amblève.

Once Guardiola leaves Bayern (this season or next depends if he wants to extend) the title race will become more interesting. Now that Ferguson is retired there is only one manager in the world who can get his teams to CONSTANTLY be at the top. Staying at the top is so much harder than getting there. Whoever Bayern replace him with will have a hard time. I hope Bayern won't get unlucky with injuries again 2nd half of the season, he deserves his CL win with Bayern. Look how much the injuries at Barca and Madrid are affecting them at the moment, Guardiola has had to deal with these kind of injuries pretty much his entire reign there. Few weeks ago he fielded 0 CBs against Leverkusen (not an easy game) because every single one was injured.

Agree with the previous poster aswell, if you want to blame anyone for weaking their rivals in Germany - look no further than Dortmund. Constantly buying best players from the 'rest' of the German teams.

• 4 weeks later...

Douglas Costa has completely proved me wrong. He knocked me out with a single punch when I called him a squad player, a decent back-up winger.

This guy is putting in scintillating performances for fun. An absolute nightmare for any fullback. Lightning pace but he's in full control, that's rare. A constant threat and he has a mean cross. Most wingers can't even cross so that's big. A joy to watch.

He's been one of the top attacking players in Europe, no doubt.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hertha's twitter account is gold:

Btw, I am so proud of Pal Dardai.. He was a very intelligent and hard working player and loyan to Hertha, and now he's been doing a great job. Hertha were fighting against relegation when he became the boss, now they on the 3rd place.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a match that Leverkusen vs Hamburg was! Really thought Leverkusen were about to begin the season in complete Leverkusen fashion, but wouldn't you know it!

Pohjanpalo with the 15 minute hattrick off the bench to save the day! What a result! 

Think it must be clear to Schmidt that he simply HAS to play with 2 Strikers up top. This business of playing Calhanoglu as a false SS is not working. Pohjanpalo up top with Chicharito next match simply has to be guaranteed. Julian Brandt, the young German phenom, also deserves a shout. Because he turned it up in the last 15 mins, driving past defenders, setting up the first goal, and finding the right passes, really happy to see him continue where he left off for Germany at the Olympics. 

Not the biggest fan of Schmidt's suicidal, kamikaze tactics, and I don't believe he's the man to take Leverkusen to that next step. I mean, his tactics work brilliantly at times (see Barcelona home in last year's UCL group stage match), but even in a match like that, Leverkusen outplay Barcelona for first 75mins, and then instead of dialing the pressing down once the players are tired later on in the match, Schmidt still instructs his players to play pedal-to-the-metal football at all times. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bayern vs Schalke yesterday was a very entertaining match.

I think it's clear that Bayern simply won't be as dominant under Carlo in the league. Schalke should have been one/two goals to the good before Carlo made those substitutions in Costa and Vidal which swung the game back in Bayern's favor and won them the 3pts. Bayern Munich are the only team in the bundesliga that can grind out results even after being outplayed for large stretches of matches. I mean just look at the German Super Cup, and Dortmund's loss today against RB Leipzig as prime examples.

7 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

Pohjanpalo with the 15 minute hattrick off the bench to save the day! What a result! 

Great player, been following his career quite closely since making his debut in the Finnish 1st division with a three minute hat-trick four years back when he was 17. Was stuck on loans at some shitty 2. Bundesliga clubs who couldn't create any chances for their strikers but is now being given a chance with the Leverkusen squad and is enjoying every minute, scored all four of their league goals so far this season despite only playing 30 minutes.

Could be a real breakthrough season for him if he keeps up even half this form. Not every day does a guy from Finland score a hat-trick in a top4 league, last guy who did that was Chelsea man Mikael Forssell while on loan at Birmingham. :lol:

8 hours ago, Jype said:

Great player, been following his career quite closely since making his debut in the Finnish 1st division with a three minute hat-trick four years back when he was 17. Was stuck on loans at some shitty 2. Bundesliga clubs who couldn't create any chances for their strikers but is now being given a chance with the Leverkusen squad and is enjoying every minute, scored all four of their league goals so far this season despite only playing 30 minutes.

Could be a real breakthrough season for him if he keeps up even half this form. Not every day does a guy from Finland score a hat-trick in a top4 league, last guy who did that was Chelsea man Mikael Forssell while on loan at Birmingham. :lol:

Yeah I really really hope Pojhanpalo makes it. Leverkusen really need a replacement for Stefan Kiesling, and hopefully he can be that man. 

And becuse of Schmidt's use of 2 Strikers, constant high energy football, and Leverkusen's propensity to rack up many injuries, a rotation of Chicharito/Volland/Pohjanpalo should be more than adequate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Leverkusen with that quick 2-0 victory. 

As much as I rile against Roger Schmidt, he got it completely right today. (Besides starting Bender at RB against Ousame Dembele! Almost had a heart attack every time Dembele got the ball.) Surprised the Aranguiz--Kampl double pivot worked as well as it did tbh. Neither are particularly defensive minded, and thought Baumgauntlinger would have been paired with either one.  

The opening 10mins, Leverkusen were all over Dortmund, and were right to take the lead. Dortmund looked very confused in those opening minutes, with Weigl dropping back deep and  Dembele/Pulisic almost positioning themselves as Wingbacks during the buildup phase. Dortmund had completely conceded the center of the pitch, and Leverkusen took advantage by positionin themselves brilliantly for the press. Then when Weigl pushed up to position himself in CM where he normally plays, he was heavily man marked/pressed whenever he got the ball, with 3/4 Leverkusen players closing him down forcing him to pass backwards and nullify his killer defense splitting passes. (Was nice to see Schmidt focus so hard on taking out Weigl, learned his lesson, because last year Weigl put on a masterclass performance, ripping Leverkusen a new one in their 3-0 win.) For me, Sebastian Rode simply has to do more when Weigl is being defended against that much, and offer himself as a second #6 (not only for today but moving forward) because all the focus will be on stopping Weigl orchestrating from deep this year, and with Gundogan gone to help carry the load, he has to step up. Think Tuchel was right to start him. 

Was also happy Schmidt completely bypassed any sort of buildup play by having Bernd Leno hoof the ball upfield on every goal kick/Open play save. The 11tegen pass map shows, how little passing was done across Leverkusen's backline. Kevin Kampl and Admir Mehmedi were fantastic. Both were very excellent going forward and in defense, and shoutout to Heinrichs at RB in that second half, nullifying Dembele on the wings and not letting him get past him. Also Tah, who late on kept making crucial recovery tackles with Aubameyang and his ridiculous pace. 

But as is custom with Leverkusen, we'll probably bottle it by drawing our next League match. 

• 3 weeks later...

The table here is crazy

1 Bayern Munich 7 5 2 0 18 4 +14 17 WWWWDD
2 FC Cologne 7 4 3 0 12 4 +8 15 DWWDDW
3 RasenBallsport Leipzig 7 4 3 0 12 5 +7 15 WWDDWW
4 Hertha Berlin 7 4 2 1 12 8 +4 14 WWLDWD
5 Borussia Dortmund 7 4 1 2 17 7 +10 13 LWWWLD
6 Hoffenheim 7 3 4 0 13 10 +3 13 DDDWWW
7 Mainz 05 7 3 2 2 14 12 +2 11 DWWLDW
8 Eintracht Frankfurt 7 3 2 2 10 8 +2 11 LWWDLD
9 Borussia M.Gladbach 7 3 2 2 10 10 0 11 LWDWLD
10 Bayer Leverkusen 7 3 1 3 11 9 +2 10 WLDWWL
11 Freiburg 7 3 0 4 8 11 -3 9 WLWLWL
12 Augsburg 7 2 2 3 6 9 -3 8 WLDWLD
13 Werder Bremen 7 2 1 4 9 18 -9 7 LLLWDW
14 Wolfsburg 7 1 3 3 4 8 -4 6 DDLLDL
15 Darmstadt 7 1 2 4 5 14 -9 5 WLDLDL
16 Schalke 04 7 1 1 5 7 11 -4 4 LLLLWD
17 Hamburger SV 7 0 2 5 2 12 -10 2 LLLLLD
18 Ingolstadt 7 0 1 6 4 14 -10 1 LLLLLL

Whats going on with german clubs these days? 

I always saw them as balanced, well run organisations.

But Stuttgart, ex champion now in second league, Werder and Hamburg in bottom for years now, ane it seems Bayer, Schalke and Wolfsburg have no better future. 

Did other teams realy improve that much or have the "top" teams so poor these days? Coach changes every few months dont help the clubs either.

On 22/10/2016 at 4:31 PM, Johnnyeye said:

Dortmund are simply a disgrace, i would have sacked the coach already if i was president, last season loss to Liverpool was embarassing and this season is a shambles so far.

Tuchel is ok boss, and their team is good quality, they have simply so many injuries to fill whole starting lineup and therefore no consistency. 

Still should get more points by now.

• 1 month later...

It's a big shame we never got Douglas Costa. Obviously our opinions on a forum don't get fed to Roman, so we don't influence things, but 90% of people were saying he'd be shit, we shouldn't go for him, etc etc etc, based on... absolutely nothing, it was based on. Nothing. And now he's showing everyone why we were linked in the first place. If he was at Barcelona he'd be compared to Ronaldinho.