Deadline Day!

J.F.

I seen an article about all the flop strikers we have bought, there reasoning for this... Didier Drogba & the fact that he is just too big a personality for any other striker to fit in and be a success.... Tbh I'm struggling to find any other reasons why we have had so many flop strikers when they were all good strikers before joining us. Although this doesn't apply to Mutu, that coke head brought his own downfall.

Yeah, I wrote earlier that maybe it has something to do that the team and our attacking movement was built around Drogba's abilities, so while he is at the club, the players know that if anybody else fails to adapt, there will always be Drogba to rely on. Maybe a subconscious block to play with strikers with different attributes. With every other striker I've felt we've played as if they were target men (we're currently playing on Torres's chest and feet... the same was basically with Sheva). That's why Drogba always got his place back. It's actually easier to play with a player like Drogba than with a player like Sheva or Torres.. they require more attention from others.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen an article about all the flop strikers we have bought, there reasoning for this... Didier Drogba & the fact that he is just too big a personality for any other striker to fit in and be a success.... Tbh I'm struggling to find any other reasons why we have had so many flop strikers when they were all good strikers before joining us. Although this doesn't apply to Mutu, that coke head brought his own downfall.

Or you could be thankful at just how great Didier Drogba has been for our club for a number of years, greatness only magnified by consistently poor performances of Torres, you get a real grasp of just how much Drogba has meant to us down through the years.

Yeah, I wrote earlier that maybe it has something to do that the team and our attacking movement was built around Drogba's abilities, so while he is at the club, the players know that if anybody else fails to adapt, there will always be Drogba to rely on. Maybe a subconscious block to play with strikers with different attributes. With every other striker I've felt we've played as if they were target men (we're currently playing on Torres's chest and feet... the same was basically with Sheva). That's why Drogba always got his place back. It's actually easier to play with a player like Drogba than with a player like Sheva or Torres.. they require more attention from others.

Our play certainly is more suited to Drogba & the fact he's more of an aerial and physical player rather than a technical player who need more service than Drogba. Drogba can single handedly destroy a team.... Just ask Arsenal.

Or you could be thankful at just how great Didier Drogba has been for our club for a number of years, greatness only magnified by consistently poor performances of Torres, you get a real grasp of just how much Drogba has meant to us down through the years.

Who said I'm not thankful for Drogba, I'd like to know where in that post you got that impression I was having a dig at him? Torres hasn't been the only poor striker we've had while Drogba's been here.

Our play certainly is more suited to Drogba & the fact he's more of an aerial and physical player rather than a technical player who need more service than Drogba. Drogba can single handedly destroy a team.... Just ask Arsenal.

Who said I'm not thankful for Drogba, I'd like to know where in that post you got that impression I was having a dig at him? Torres hasn't been the only poor striker we've had while Drogba's been here.

The tone of the message just seemed a bit negative for my liking. I don't think you can say with 100%accuracy that Didier's personality is the reason that the strikers we have bought failed. In the case of Torres, his speed (his main asset) is gone and his confidence is shot to pieces. In the case of Shevchenko he was past his best and struggled to adapt from the more tactical Seria A to the quicker, more physical Premier League.

But what about Anelka? Say what you want about Scolari but Anlka was scoring left right and centre when he was the lone striker. But Drogba complained, manager was sacked and when Hiddink came and put Drogba as the main striker the goals for Anelka dried up. Same situation in January 2010 when Drogba left for ACON. You must admit that Anelka was unlucky that Droga was in the club with him. To Drogba it was simply unacceptable for him not to be the main striker. Even when he is playing shit

The tone of the message just seemed a bit negative for my liking. I don't think you can say with 100%accuracy that Didier's personality is the reason that the strikers we have bought failed. In the case of Torres, his speed (his main asset) is gone and his confidence is shot to pieces. In the case of Shevchenko he was past his best and struggled to adapt from the more tactical Seria A to the quicker, more physical Premier League.

:doh: It's not my opinion on why we have had so many flops & it certainly wasn't a dig at Drogba, it was just an article I come across & just wondered what people thought about it. I'd much rather of had Drogba all these years than kept all the flops we signed.

Kezman, Pizarro & Crespo have all flopped as well, although Crespo was less of a flop just expected better from him.

:doh: It's not my opinion on why we have had so many flops & it certainly wasn't a dig at Drogba, it was just an article I come across & just wondered what people thought about it. I'd much rather of had Drogba all these years than kept all the flops we signed.

Kezman, Pizarro & Crespo have all flopped as well, although Crespo was less of a flop just expected better from him.

Well then I don't think much of the article.

But what about Anelka? Say what you want about Scolari but Anlka was scoring left right and centre when he was the lone striker. But Drogba complained, manager was sacked and when Hiddink came and put Drogba as the main striker the goals for Anelka dried up. Same situation in January 2010 when Drogba left for ACON. You must admit that Anelka was unlucky that Droga was in the club with him. To Drogba it was simply unacceptable for him not to be the main striker. Even when he is playing shit

Nic was/is a very talented player but I don't think he was ever cut out to be the main man at a top club. Well, with Drogba as our main man, the club has experienced the most success in its entire history and even when he is playing shit he can always create something out of nothing (part of his greatness).

Nic was/is a very talented player but I don't think he was ever cut out to be the main man at a top club. Well, with Drogba as our main man, the club has experienced the most success in its entire history and even when he is playing shit he can always create something out of nothing (part of his greatness).

But bearing in mind the short periods that Anelka has been the main man, we had the best win ratio of the season, Anelka scored a shit load of goals and I seem to remember us plying some of the most creative football (7-2 Sundaland and 7-1 Vila spring to mind). Fact is its not the end of the world and its certanly not hard and impossible when Drogba does not play. Or when he leaves the club for good. Its the just the fans making it harder and the want for the old days. I have just shown that we can play great football and great reslts without Drogba.

But bearing in mind the short periods that Anelka has been the main man, we had the best win ratio of the season, Anelka scored a shit load of goals and I seem to remember us plying some of the most creative football (7-2 Sundaland and 7-1 Vila spring to mind). Fact is its not the end of the world and its certanly not hard and impossible when Drogba does not play. Or when he leaves the club for good. Its the just the fans making it harder and the want for the old days. I have just shown that we can play great football and great reslts without Drogba.

Yes we all remember those games. However I seem to remember another game from that season. Against Man Utd at OT, needing a win, a true title deciding game, Drogba on the bench, please tell me, who scored the winner that day? It's also funny that both of your examples come from the same season in which Didier Drogba won the golden boot and powered us to a Premier League and FA Cup double (scoring the winner in the final no less). Im not arguing that Nico up top on his own on occasion worked, of course it did, he was a very good striker but still not as formidable as Drogba and we have, and still do, look a more formidable side with Drogba in it.

Given the choice in some fantasy world, Id rather Edinson Cavani or Mario Gomez as Chelsea's starting strikers over Drogba currently, of course Im aware of Didier's age and declining powers. Unfortunately neither Cavani, Gomez or any other world class striker you can think of are contracted to play at Chelsea, so from now until the end of the season our options are Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres, Lukaku or Kalou. Out of those, I would choose Drogba every day of the week. It isn't nostalgia that brings me to that conclusion either, its Drogba's performance and presence compared to that of Fernando Torres. This is Fernando's chance, with the ACON on, with Drogba's ego no longer around to disturb him but in case you've missed it mate, he is failing on a pretty epic proportion.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...