Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Vanity buy?

He's 18. Surely it's a buy for the future?

There's talk of him being loaned back to Anderlecht. That's hardly planning for the future. A real future plan would be to invest trust in Daniel Sturridge.

And vanity buy because it's not addressing a pressing need. ''Oh look ... big strong Drogba lookalike sure to be a future star ... let's buy!" It's a move arising form the thought that more strikers = more goals. Which isn't the case, I'm sure everybody who's followed Chelsea last season will tell you.

There's talk of him being loaned back to Anderlecht. That's hardly planning for the future. A real future plan would be to invest trust in Daniel Sturridge.

And vanity buy because it's not addressing a pressing need. ''Oh look ... big strong Drogba lookalike sure to be a future star ... let's buy!" It's a move arising form the thought that more strikers = more goals. Which isn't the case, I'm sure everybody who's followed Chelsea last season will tell you.

Haven't heard about him being loaned back and if he is, surely that would show we're trusting Sturridge? Hopefully Anelka & Kalou will move on, but if they're not, then loaning back Lukaku is a good move and gives Sturridge his chance without having him pushed down the pecking order again.

The second point also links back with my first. I anticipate the likes of Kalou, Anelka & Malouda will move. Even today it's emerging Drogba will move on. So buying Lukaku is good preparation for when we need a striker, which is very soon, with the age of our current ones.

Of course, I agree, we need other positions filled first. But this is still a positive transfer in my eyes.

Haven't heard about him being loaned back and if he is, surely that would show we're trusting Sturridge? Hopefully Anelka & Kalou will move on, but if they're not, then loaning back Lukaku is a good move and gives Sturridge his chance without having him pushed down the pecking order again.

The second point also links back with my first. I anticipate the likes of Kalou, Anelka & Malouda will move. Even today it's emerging Drogba will move on. So buying Lukaku is good preparation for when we need a striker, which is very soon, with the age of our current ones.

Of course, I agree, we need other positions filled first. But this is still a positive transfer in my eyes.

I can understand your views. But 21 million for someone who a)is unproven b)isn't going to play straight away is absurd imo.

The good thing is that if he fails, there's a decent resale value to be had.

I can understand your views. But 21 million for someone who a)is unproven b)isn't going to play straight away is absurd imo.

Yeah, but Drogba and were paid a lot of money thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I've learnt to ignore the money now.

I just base a transfer on the actual player.. I give up on this club's ability to negotiate :lol: . Based on the merits of Lukaku, I'm convinced this is a very good transfer.

I just base a transfer on the actual player.. I give up on this club's ability to negotiate :lol: . Based on the merits of Lukaku, I'm convinced this is a very good transfer.

Even based on abilities alone, playing in the Belgian league is hardly uprooting trees. He's big, strong, fast and that's about it. Limited technical qualities.

But we're going to agree to disagree, so :tophat:. Time will tell if this is a good or bad move.