Chelsea biding their time vs City's spending

I'm glad that our club has allowed Andre to do what he wants in the market rather then buying players for him. Half of this forum was crying for young players and now when that happens we cry for some big transfers.

Look at some of our previous transfers:

Torres : 50m while we had Drogba, Sturridge and Anelka. If Carlo had faith in Danny I'm pretty sure that Torres would be still struggling in Liverpool and eating their wages.

Benayoun : 30y old and expected to replace players like Ballack and Deco?

Zhirkov : bought, yet not played.

Shevchenko : while we had young Drogba and played a 1 striker formation.

Imho those very terrible transfers and if Andre can change that and get the players who will be here like Lamps, JT, Essien, Didi rather then giving a decent season or 2 and then leaving or eating our wages I'm gonna be pretty happy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll offifically start worrying if we haven't signed a first team calibre player by the end of next week.

So by 5pm Friday the 5th of August if we still haven't signed somebody that is not first team ready I will start the first 'AVB out' thread on this here forum.

So, I don't really see how taking more time would help and was really hoping Andre would act swiftly in the transfer window, but so far all we've got are Courtois and Romeu, but they're not gonna solve our problems.

We, as Chelsea fans, need to stop being so ignorant and look at the bigger picture. Long-term success supersedes short-term fame and gain, and I hope AVB sticks to the philosophy that he's seemingly begun with; attempting to unearth and nurture young prospects who will be the future of Chelsea Football Club. We need to stop being so greedy and realise the facts - mainly that big-money, big-name signings aren't exactly our forte.

2 confirmed bids for Modric, close to signing Pastore (ignoring the signings of Etock, Romeu, Courtois) - not really biding our time are we? Unless you expected signings left, right and centre the moment the new boss walked in.

Btw, it's unfair to target City's spending. For years and years even though they didn't compete for trophies they always kept churning out top quality youngsters and still have one of the best youth academies in the land. Now they've got money, so why not spend it?

I think we are rapidly becoming a joke in this transfer market. If we end up signing only Cortois and this glorified fucking loan deal for Romeu then we can kiss the top 4 goodbye. AVB keeps talking of "value in the market" and "evaluating" and I think I've had enough of that horse shit now, everyone with half a brain can see where we need improving and what shit we need to get rid of and what young talent we need to bring in. Really getting on my tits that we seem reluctant to do any sort of decent business and when we try to we don't even get those. Kalou and Malouda on the wings first game of the season yay!

Guest justin_3d

Villas-Boas says City spending is 'unfair'

http://www.espn.co.u...tml?CMP=OTC-RSS

We just spend 75 mill on 2 players and he calls City spending unfair? :whistling:

Although i want to hear what he said, cause it does not sounds like him.I would rather take it as the media made it up, then AVB saying that. Cause if he did meant it.....

Thailand-v-Chelsea-Andre-Villas-Boas_2626132.jpg

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas is wary of the threat posed by Manchester City in the Premier League title race after describing their summer recruitment policy as 'unfair'.

Argentine striker Sergio Aguero joined City in a deal reported to be worth around £38million on Thursday to add to a squad already bursting with world-class talent.

Perennial big-spenders Chelsea have, so far, been unusually quiet despite seeing most of their title rivals invest heavily in new players.

Villas-Boas has been impressed by Roberto Mancini's transfer business but feels City's financial dominance gives them an unnatural advantage in the market.

"I think it's unfair. I think it's pretty clear that they are building a squad to fight for the title," he said ahead of Chelsea's clash with Aston Villa in the final of the Premier League Asia Trophy on Saturday.

"It's for Mancini to say what his objectives are but my personal perspective is that they are making good signings and that they can threaten for the league."

However, Villas-Boas still feels this season's title race could be the closest yet.

"I think Man United as the title holders will be a reference for everybody but you can see the amount of activity Manchester City have had in the market. It's pretty clear they have a title objective as well," he said.

"Liverpool did more or less the same, Tottenham want to get back into the top four so they'll be challenging and Arsenal are always a threat - we haven't seen the last of them in the transfer market - so everybody is strengthening and as long as everybody feels happy with what they have, everybody competes in a different way."

Evaluation

Chelsea, meanwhile, have yet to make any significant moves despite being heavily linked with moves for Tottenham's Luka Modric and Javier Pastore of Palermo instead focusing on bringing in younger players like Oriol Romeu and Thibaut Courtois.

"It all boils down to the evaluation period, there's still plenty of time for those decisions," added Villas-Boas.

"The players that we have shown interest in are young and looking to the future of the club, you might see similar moves in the future from us. It is one of the oldest squads in the Premier League, we respect them and we are happy enough with the quality that we have to challenge for the title but we are also looking into the future.

"We are so comfortable at the moment with what we are getting because of the young players we have. Things for the future are brighter for us in that respect."

Young talent

Two of those young stars, Daniel Sturridge and Josh McEachran, look set to be more involved in the first team this season under the Portuguese boss.

"I wouldn't like to focus on an individual but I think Daniel deserved above all to come back to this club and have this pre-season with us," he said.

"This is the group where he belongs and I think he has shown the quality he has at Bolton when he went there. He has a natural ability and amazing physical qualities and I think he is showing what he did at Bolton was enough for him to make a point at Chelsea.

"For Daniel, his time at Bolton was an amazing period for him, based on that he got into the England Under-21s for the European Championships and he is again a great prospect, I have no doubt about it.

"We will make a decision soon and we will inform Daniel on his situation but I think he has shown a lot of his qualities and abilities and he has the capacity to be in this squad.

"I spoke to Josh at the start of the season about where he felt best on the pitch. The position six for me is a very, very important position and I know that Josh touches more of the ball in that position and likes to organise play.

"But he also likes to face the play more often and he has the vision to see people in attacking options and it's good for me to test him as a number eight, further forward. He has the tactical and technical ability to fulfil both positions."

--------------------------------------------------

:)

He doesn't look like a manager who likes spending does he? And I'm not sure if we really need signings this year, because our squad is strong to challange the top without new players.

Guest justin_3d

^Maybe the biggest joke of the year.

Somehow i am finding it hard to believe he actually said that.

Our manager would not be that dumb to say something like that.

Will wait to hear what he said, cause media tend to distort what somebody says.