Chelsea biding their time vs City's spending

Okay, there's something that I've been meaning to start a discussion on for some time, and now that it seems Man City are about to agree terms to sign one of my prized hopefuls, Sergio Aguero, it's about time I started a thread about this. What I want to know is... can Chelsea's idea of biding their time in the transfer market be as effective this season as City's frantic spending??

I can see where Boas gets his ideas from. The fact that McEachran gives us more fresh, young ideas, and the idea of agreeing a deal with Barcelona for Oriol Romeu, a 19-year-old holding midfielder with bags of promise (so Barcelona say). The fact that Boas wanted him while he was at Porto, obviously tells us that he recognises his true potential. By saying all of the above, I believe I speak for everyone when I say that Boas is building not just for this season, but for the future as well! I can definitely see McEachran filling Lampard's boots if he stays for long enough and gets the games that he has been playing so well for, and I could definitely see Romeu (and later, Piazon) working alongside him, fitting the pieces of our perfect midfield jigsaw. Hopefully, if either Modric or Pastore joins us this window, it's adding to the creativity we need in our midfield, and hopefully, this will provide to Sturridge and Torres et al up front, to get us the goals.

It's almost very similar to the way Ferguson or Wenger go about their work as United and Arsenal managers respectively. How Rafael and Fabio have established themselves as well known products. How Alex Song, Jack Wilshere, Niklas Bendtner and even Cesc Fabregas have worked from the ground upwards to become the players they are today. With the idea of biding our time, finding the right players, and analyzing the squad sensibly, I can see why Boas is known as "the group one"

Compare with what's going on at City. What are they doing at the moment? Spending, spending, and spending some more it sounds like. It seems as if every single talented player out there, you wouldn't be suprised to see City's name being linked with those players. All they have to do City is wave some money in their faces and they come running. Aguero seems to be the latest victim of that scandal because he clearly stated last year that "Chelsea are the most feared clubs in Europe, and that City are not ready yet".

Petr Cech touched on the fact that, the more players City sign, the more hard work the manager has at building the team chemistry all over again, and I agree with him. Because some players have different playing styles to others, it's hard work at making the team click properly, and then there's the concern about how much these players are costing their side. There could be a lot more pressure on the more expensive players in the squad to deliver.

But one question I have to address, and while we were freely spending all those years ago, we never cared much about it. How are City going to control their youth development? If they're buying so many players in the market, they'll have no chance of breaking into their team! Which brings me to one other question. Are City really an evolving youth recognition policy, or are they just a circus act who dream about winning sorry buying the league?

....discuss!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you spoiled an excellent article for me with the cheap gag about buying the title .. The same remark I found petty and childish when directed at us . City are now a real

threat ,,,as witnessed by the reaction of the United ,,,

Compare with what's going on at City. What are they doing at the moment? Spending, spending, and spending some more it sounds like. It seems as if every single talented player out there, you wouldn't be suprised to see City's name being linked with those players. All they have to do City is wave some money in their faces and they come running. Aguero seems to be the latest victim of that scandal because he clearly stated last year that "Chelsea are the most feared clubs in Europe, and that City are not ready yet".

But one question I have to address, and while we were freely spending all those years ago, we never cared much about it. How are City going to control their youth development? If they're buying so many players in the market, they'll have no chance of breaking into their team! Which brings me to one other question. Are City really an evolving youth recognition policy, or are they just a circus act who dream about winning sorry buying the league?

What spending? City have only bought Clichy and the talent Savic. We used to, still actually, get linked to a lot of players too.. doesn't mean much. You can only criticize on those they actually buy.

Like zolayes already mentioned (didn't use similar words), go back 7, 8 years in time and you could easily replace 'City' by 'Chelsea' in this piece.

(And please replace Bendtner by Van Persie)

I would definitely love to have some real homegrown players keeping the blue flag flying high in the future, once this trophy-covered cavalry has retired or taken a lesser role. It is a question between instant success and patience in developing a real TEAM as it was meant to, from the roots. The passion is long gone from the game with monetary motives dominating players' heads mostly, with some exceptions. I would love to have a quiet spell without changing managers like socks and raging every season over flopped big money signings, who don't really care about the club. I am truly hoping that at least Josh will be a new true blue like Lamps and JT are now. I like seeing love and passion towards the club and towards the cause... even through bad rough times. Most players, who come to us (or now mostly City) search only money and glory and will abandon the club at the first sight of trouble. Real Madrid is full of imported world class players, but they mount to nothing, wonder why?... on the other hand, Barcelona more or less built itself, and now look at them. Chelsea's spine and most consistent players have always been the lads who are loyal whatever happens, and that's for a reason. Would love to have more of those players in the future, and now I'm hoping AVB is the man who doesn't think solely about the present and wanking off Roman and co., but also about the integrity and future of the team.

Van Persie was a young product at Feyenoord, not Arsenal!

I'm confused, what are you trying to say?

How Alex Song, Jack Wilshere, Niklas Bendtner and even Cesc Fabregas have worked from the ground upwards to become the players they are today.

You never said anything about those players being youth products. And if that's what you meant, Wilshere's the only youth product out of that list.

And what has Bendtner achieved really?

Guest justin_3d

No and No!

This is the byproduct of firing so many managers.

Right now when we have the chance to bid for Aguero, we can't cause we have 5 strikers. 5 strikers is an absurdly amount. 3 or 4 is good.

When we know Kalou and Anelka don't cut it, we can't do nothing but wait and watch AVB assess the squad and his strikers.

No and No!

Right now when we have the chance to bid for Aguero, we can't cause we have 5 strikers. 5 strikers is an absurdly amount. 3 or 4 is good.

When we know Kalou and Anelka don't cut it, we can't do nothing but wait and watch AVB assess the squad and his strikers.

How many times can you say it? We didnt bid for Aguaro not beause we have Kalou and Anleka,

Boas probably didnt thought Aguaro can be a winger, and thats what we need, not a striker. If he thought he was the right player for us,

I think he would do something about it even before assessing our squad completely. Aguaro is not a winger in Athletico, so even if we think

he can be, maybe he cant. And if he realy cant be a winger, we dont need him, thats it.

Guest justin_3d

How many times can you say it? We didnt bid for Aguaro not beause we have Kalou and Anleka,

Boas probably didnt thought Aguaro can be a winger, and thats what we need, not a striker. If he thought he was the right player for us,

I think he would do something about it even before assessing our squad completely. Aguaro is not a winger in Athletico, so even if we think

he can be, maybe he cant. And if he realy cant be a winger, we dont need him, thats it.

No we don't bid for him because we got 5 strikers, and we don't need no more.

If we where to get rid of Anelka and Kalou then bidding for him would make sense.

I thought i cover that a million times.

We have 5 strikers, while city only 2.

No we don't bid for him because we got 5 strikers, and we don't need no more.

If we where to get rid of Anelka and Kalou then bidding for him would make sense.

I thought i cover that a million times.

We have 5 strikers, while city only 2.

Did you read my post?

You dont get what im saying to you, off course we dont need to buy a striker, we dont need a stirker(A target man), even if we'll sell Anleka or Kalou.

Thats because we already have Torres and Drogba, and Boas will probably play in a 4-3-3 with only one of them.

After we closed that thing, Im pretty sure you dont get why people wanted Aguaro in CFC. We thought he can play in one of the winger roles in Boas's 4-3-3.

I dont think enyone thought he will play next to Torres in a 4-4-2 formation. We almost cant play it and Boas didnt play it regulary in Porto.

So now come back to my first post and try to understand why I think Boas didnt thought Aguaro is our man.

I'm confused, what are you trying to say?

You never said anything about those players being youth products. And if that's what you meant, Wilshere's the only youth product out of that list.

What I meant to have said in the article before, was the fact that they are all home grown players. I deliberately didn't mention Van Persie because Arsenal signed him from Feyenoord while over the age of 18, so he couldn't have been labelled as a home grown player. At the end of the day, that's one of the main factors that UEFA look at when teams are eligable for the Champions League. A certain number of home grown players need to be submitted in order to comply with the rules!

Fabregas is qualified as a home grown player because he joined Arsenal at the age of just 16. Wilshere also qualifies because he was 17 when he joined.

But that's only half my point. The fact that Ferguson and Wenger have enough knowledge to find the best young players and add them to the squad, understanding how to use them and in the process, getting the best out of them, makes up the other half. I reckon Boas can do the same for McEachran and Romeu because he understands their qualities, otherwise why sign them in the first place?

What I meant to have said in the article before, was the fact that they are all home grown players. I deliberately didn't mention Van Persie because Arsenal signed him from Feyenoord, so he couldn't have been labelled as a home grown player. At the end of the day, that's one of the main factors that UEFA look at when teams are eligable for the Champions League. A certain number of home grown players need to be submitted in order to comply with the rules!

Fabregas is qualified as a home grown player because he joined Arsenal at the age of just 16. Wilshere also qualifies because he was 17 when he joined.

But that's only half my point. The fact that Ferguson and Wenger have enough knowledge to find the best young players and add them to the squad, understanding how to use them and in the process, getting the best out of them, makes up the other half. I reckon Boas can do the same for McEachran and Romeu because he understands their qualities.

Now I get ya :tiphat:.

Guest justin_3d

Did you read my post?

You dont get what im saying to you, off course we dont need to buy a striker, we dont need a stirker(A target man), even if we'll sell Anleka or Kalou.

Thats because we already have Torres and Drogba, and Boas will probably play in a 4-3-3 with only one of them.

After we closed that thing, Im pretty sure you dont get why people wanted Aguaro in CFC. We thought he can play in one of the winger roles in Boas's 4-3-3.

I dont think enyone thought he will play next to Torres in a 4-4-2 formation. We almost cant play it and Boas didnt play it regulary in Porto.

So now come back to my first post and try to understand why I think Boas didnt thought Aguaro is our man.

Drogba is 33. If any for the future i see Torres, and Sturridge. So if we acted fast to sell Kalou and Anelka we would have space for Aguero.

But not right now, as we are full on strikers.

And the other thing is when people wanted Aguero, Sturridge was not part of the equation.

So Sturridge has also make it harder to think about getting Aguero.