Chelsea biding their time vs City's spending

Fabregas is qualified as a home grown player because he joined Arsenal at the age of just 16. Wilshere also qualifies because he was 17 when he joined.

Will Lucas Piazon be considered homegrown? He's already signed though he won't join the team until he's 18 in January?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Lucas Piazon be considered homegrown? He's already signed though he won't join the team until he's 18 in January?

That's a good question! If the fee had been agreed while Piazon was 17 at the time, Chelsea could have a viable case of claiming him to be homegrown. But unfortunately I don't think it works like that.

Guest justin_3d

If i am not mistaken its from 18 up. 3 years to qualify as homegrown.

Drogba is 33. If any for the future i see Torres, and Sturridge. So if we acted fast to sell Kalou and Anelka we would have space for Aguero.

But not right now, as we are full on strikers.

And the other thing is when people wanted Aguero, Sturridge was not part of the equation.

So Sturridge has also make it harder to think about getting Aguero.

NO! you are suggesting to bench Torres or Aguaro every game. Its ridicilous to buy a player like Aguaro just becuase you are not sure Torres will deliver.

Do you realy think Aguaro want to be a second option? he wouldnt come. Drogba will play in chelsea next season and he can still deliver for us, but even if

he wasnt good enouge, we wouldnt get Aguaro to be a second option.

You dont need two strikers in that level and in that price. Especcialy when the important thing you need is wingers. You need to think about what you need.

When Drogba will go/quit, we wont buy a striker for 40-50 million just to be a secont option to Torres.

Guest justin_3d

NO! you are suggesting to bench Torres or Aguaro every game. Its ridicilous to buy a player like Aguaro just becuase you are not sure Torres will deliver.

Do you realy think Aguaro want to be a second option? he wouldnt come. Drogba will play in chelsea next season and he can still deliver for us, but even if

he wasnt good enouge, we wouldnt get Aguaro to be a second option.

You dont need two strikers in that level and in that price. Especcialy when the important thing you need is wingers. You need to think about what you need.

When Drogba will go/quit, we wont buy a striker for 40-50 million just to be a secont option to Torres.

Aguero play is different then Torres. it's like having Aguero and Forlan in the same team. It's different and both can play.

But overall you are right about the waste of money.

Aguero play is different then Torres. it's like having Aguero and Forlan in the same team. It's different and both can play.

I talked about that already. Look at my second post to you. You are talking about a 4-4-2 formation, a system that doesnt fit to our players.

We dont have the players to play this formation.

Guest justin_3d

I talked about that already. Look at my second post to you. You are talking about a 4-4-2 formation, a system that doesnt fit to our players.

Why does it has to be a 4-4-2? Can you play a 4-4-1-1 with Aguero and Torres?

But for a 4-4-2 we would need a RW.

I see your point when you say that actually! We used the 4-4-2 diamond on various occaisions whilst under Carlo, and it never worked! Teams would just dominate our midfield time and time again. Lampard played the more attacking role, and you had Mikel as the DM, which was okay, but there was no real enforcer in there, nobody to take midfield domination by the scruff of the neck and just run with it until there's someone available to pass it to. Ramires is that player, that's primarily what a box-to-box player does in that sense.

We need someone to provide, someone to break play up and create space in the middle, and an extra man to protect the back four. That's why we've always used a 3-man midfield, as opposed to 2 central mids, and 2 wingers.

And as for Drogba and Torres, I don't think they work well together, I believe Torres works better when he's up front on his own, the same applies to Drogba.

Why does it has to be a 4-4-2? Can you play a 4-4-1-1 with Aguero and Torres?

But for a 4-4-2 we would need a RW.

Thats what I meant, its basicly the same thing. For a 4-4-2(or a 4-4-1-1) we'll need to get a RW, thats right, but you need the right midfielders too.

You cant play with somone like Lampard to be one of your two midfielders. You need a DMF and a 50/50, someone who can realy defend and to attack, to be affective

on the attack, someone like Schweinsteiger. And off course you cant play with Pastore next to Essien/Mikel too. its too offensive minded.

Its just not our formation, Leave it...

Guest justin_3d

Thats what I meant, its basicly the same thing. For a 4-4-2(or a 4-4-1-1) we'll need to get a RW, thats right, but you need the right midfielders too.

You cant play with somone like Lampard to be one of your two midfielders. You need a DMF and a 50/50, someone who can realy defend and to attack to be affective,

on the attack, someone like Schweinsteiger. And off course you cant play with Pastore next to Essien/Mikel too. its too offensive minded.

Its just not our formation, Leave it...

I am sure Ramires can fill in one of those spots.

I see your point when you say that actually! We used the 4-4-2 diamond on various occaisions whilst under Carlo, and it never worked! Teams would just dominate our midfield time and time again. Lampard played the more attacking role, and you had Mikel as the DM, which was okay, but there was no real enforcer in there, nobody to take midfield domination by the scruff of the neck and just run with it until there's someone available to pass it to. Ramires is that player, that's primarily a box-to-box player does in that sense.

We need someone to provide, someone to break play up and create space in the middle, and an extra man to protect the back four. That's why we've always used a 3-man midfield, as opposed to 2 central mids, and 2 wingers.

And as for Drogba and Torres, I don't think they work well together, I believe Torres works better when he's up front on his own, which probably tells you that he doesn't work well with Drogba, who I also believe works better on his own.

A 4-4-2 Diamond is a COMPLETELY different thing. In that formaion you dont use wingers. If we realy want to play this formation, we just need to buy Pastore,

beacuse we have the midfielders for the other roles, and we have the two good strikers. With Carlo we tried Joe and Malouda to play behind the strikers if I remember

correctly, and Lampard too I think. It didnt work, its not there roles. But its Pastore can play there well.

I am sure Ramires can fill in one of those spots.

Ramires? I dont think he is that affective in the attack to play this role. It will look like we are playing with two DMF's.

You know what, If Essien was in his prime again, we could work this formation with him and Ramires maybe, but off course you would still need your RW.

I personelly not realy in to it, I like to have at least one attacking minded midfielder in my squad.Someone who can create regulary and someone who threat the

goal regulary.

It's not about how much you spend on players. Success in the League and Europe come from having those 1 or 2 mongrel type leaders in your squad. United over the years have had Keane, Giggs, Scholes, Neville and now Rooney. They play with passion and vigor. They want to win for the club more than anything. They hate the opposition and they hate losing. Barca have Xavi, Iniesta, Messi and Alves. The same group of players who have bought them success over the last 5 years and the same group of players you can slot any other player next to and you have instant success. We have Terry, Lampard, A.Cole and Possibly Drogba. They have been the core of our side since the takeover and are the reason we have been so successful and competitive.

Every club needs a core group of players and Man City just don't have that at the moment. Sure they have players with talent, but leadership is something that comes from passion for a cause. It just seems that most of the players going to City are doing it so the club they are leaving can get the biggest possible pay-out. The players are just not showing passion yet and this comes from not loving the shirt you are wearing. City trying to buy Rooney was more about weakening there biggest rivals then buying a striker who at that moment wasn't finding the back of the net.. If City would have got Rooney, United would not have won the league or made the CL final last year..

The difference between us and City is that before the takeovers we were already winning trophies, competing in most competitions, had World-Class players with us and we finished 4th before we were bought.

City? No trophies for 35 years, were hardly a threat in anything and there best player was Stephen Ireland, which says so much since he flopped at Aston Villa and is now at Newcastle and they were 10th when they were bought. It's a circus up there.

When we splashed the cash, we spent it on good players. Cech, Essien, Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreira, Malouda, Ivanovic, Cole etc..All top players and some not very good. (Torres and Sheva)

When City splashed the cash, they spend it on mostly poor players. Lescott, Milner, Adebayor, Bellamy, Barry, Boateng, Balotelli (has talent but is a lunatic) , Dzeko (Torres MKII), Kolarov, Santa Cruz etc..Only good players for them are Tevez (Who is leaving) Hart and David Silva (I cried when they bought him).

The difference between us and City is that before the takeovers we were already winning trophies, competing in most competitions, had World-Class players with us and we finished 4th before we were bought.

City? No trophies for 35 years, were hardly a threat in anything and there best player was Stephen Ireland, which says so much since he flopped at Aston Villa and is now at Newcastle and they were 10th when they were bought. It's a circus up there.

When we splashed the cash, we spent it on good players. Cech, Essien, Drogba, Carvalho, Ferreira, Malouda, Ivanovic, Cole etc..All top players and some not very good. (Torres and Sheva)

When City splashed the cash, they spend it on mostly poor players. Lescott, Milner, Adebayor, Bellamy, Barry, Boateng, Balotelli (has talent but is a lunatic) , Dzeko (Torres MKII), Kolarov, Santa Cruz etc..Only good players for them are Tevez (Who is leaving) Hart and David Silva (I cried when they bought him).

another difference ,,,when Roman came in we were on the edge of going bust. One man who played a major part in saving us was Trevor Birch ,,a football man but an expert in bankruptcy

law . It was largely due to his skill that the club was sold to Roman .. We were about to be forced into a fire sale of our best player. When the Sheikh took over Citeh they were financially

sound though lacking playing success.

Although I'm not a big fan of careless spending, I think we need to move really quickly now.

We've had some problems in our squad for three years, we haven't corrected them yet, and they've grown HUGE. Players like Malouda and Anelka are playing like shit and even Lampard doesn't look anything like what he used to be, and of course, we don't have enough players.

So, I don't really see how taking more time would help and was really hoping Andre would act swiftly in the transfer window, but so far all we've got are Courtois and Romeu, but they're not gonna solve our problems. We need some immidiate first team reinforcements, and we don't have that much time. We're not like Man City; it takes us forever to sign a player. Also ideally, new players should join before the season starts so they won't struggle the way Ramires did.

Also I don't know what Andre's philosophy's like, but Carlo certainly tended to stick to experience when the team wasn't doing well. Result has always been the most important thing for this club, Andre knows that, and he will try to win all the time. If we do badly, and he gets frustrated, he may stop playing McEachran, Sturridge and Betrand. So we need some balance. Whiile our squad should be formidable enough, we should also make sure that young players will not get pushed aside.