Gianfranco Zola

KENT_BLUE

How Zola is good cop to Sarri's bad cop

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing tmg_smt_glyph_sport.png

Zola is the Chelsea peacemaker

By Matt Law Football News Correspondent

It will not come as a huge surprise to anybody who has encountered Gianfranco Zola that he has been deployed as Chelsea’s ‘good cop’ over the past few weeks.

Head coach Maurizio Sarri has proved himself to be a straight talker during his first six months in charge, both publicly and privately.

Sarri questioned his team’s motivation following the defeat to Arsenal and can be similarly outspoken in private. The Italian also talks little to those players who are not in the small circle of those he trusts.

That has left Zola as the Chelsea peacemaker, trying to privately give context to players left concerned about what Sarri has said in public and also massaging the egos of those left out.

Zola’s reputation for being one of the nicest men in football goes back to his playing days at Chelsea and it does not seem that managing and coaching has changed that.

He does extra work with those players who want to stay behind after training and tries to keep the lines of communication with those who can feel alienated by Sarri’s approach.

Stamford Bridge regulars got a first-hand taste of Zola’s thoughtful touch last week, when he urged the players watching the Carabao Cup penalty shootout success over Tottenham Hotspur to crouch down so that paying supporters could see.

Chelsea are hoping that as his English gets better and he begins to understand the culture in this country that Sarri will begin to leave less open to interpretation when speaking to the media.

In recent weeks, he has seen headlines made from claims that he did not know Christian Pulisic was signing, that he had not spoken to director Marina Granovskaia for two weeks, that he wanted Eden Hazard’s future sorted out immediately and the perceived attack on his own players following the Arsenal defeat.

Chelsea have taken the subsequent stories in their stride and believe that with time, Sarri will begin to work out the different ways in which his words can be interpreted.

In the meantime, Zola will have to keep working as the go-between behind the scenes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As much I like Zola, I think we made mistake by appointing him as Sarri assistant. Neither has strong experience with english system. And both being italians, I dont think they can connect with the team. They probably talk italian about certain stuff which definatelyputs non italian speakers in odd situation.

IMO it should be Morris in similar role to Holland with Conte. Integration of youth would be also better IMO.  But it is what it is.

I wish Terry joins the group soon because his presence, passion and knowledge about club is much required. He can also talk to players and share his experiences at club.

On 04/04/2019 at 1:16 AM, BlueLyon said:

As much I like Zola, I think we made mistake by appointing him as Sarri assistant. Neither has strong experience with english system. And both being italians, I dont think they can connect with the team. They probably talk italian about certain stuff which definatelyputs non italian speakers in odd situation.

IMO it should be Morris in similar role to Holland with Conte. Integration of youth would be also better IMO.  But it is what it is.

I wish Terry joins the group soon because his presence, passion and knowledge about club is much required. He can also talk to players and share his experiences at club.

I dont think so. To many Zola is one of the finest players to have ever played for us and his experience in English football is valuable even if his coaching career hasnt been impressive. If someone who was voted the best player in the clubs history at one point cant connect with the team then we really are fucked.

Zola and Sarri being Italian means nothing. Zola has been speaking English for probably close to 25 years considering he came here in 1996 (and I would imagine Italians are also taught English as a second language - like British are taught in French, Spanish or German as a second language at some level in their education - so maybe even longer....). I would like to think everyone, the players and the manager, have been strictly encouraged to speak English in the dressing room so everyone can follow. Obviously theres huge cultural differences and difference of nationalities in the dressing room but you hear about it at clubs all over the continent, they speak the language of wherever the club is based first and foremost in the dressing room.

Regarding Terry, Zola can do the exact same, speak about his experiences and passions about the club so again, doesnt make a huge difference I would say. Maybe Terry coming through the academy different slightly but again, Zola came and made a huge mark here too. I dont think appointing him was a bad move at all. It was a pretty good move, someone who demands respect from the fans and players here and also allover England and the UK from his playing days. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I dont think so. To many Zola is one of the finest players to have ever played for us and his experience in English football is valuable even if his coaching career hasnt been impressive. If someone who was voted the best player in the clubs history at one point cant connect with the team then we really are fucked.

Zola and Sarri being Italian means nothing. Zola has been speaking English for probably close to 25 years considering he came here in 1996 (and I would imagine Italians are also taught English as a second language - like British are taught in French, Spanish or German as a second language at some level in their education - so maybe even longer....). I would like to think everyone, the players and the manager, have been strictly encouraged to speak English in the dressing room so everyone can follow. Obviously theres huge cultural differences and difference of nationalities in the dressing room but you hear about it at clubs all over the continent, they speak the language of wherever the club is based first and foremost in the dressing room.

Regarding Terry, Zola can do the exact same, speak about his experiences and passions about the club so again, doesnt make a huge difference I would say. Maybe Terry coming through the academy different slightly but again, Zola came and made a huge mark here too. I dont think appointing him was a bad move at all. It was a pretty good move, someone who demands respect from the fans and players here and also allover England and the UK from his playing days. 

IMO Terry would have much bigger presence compared to Zola. He just doesnt strike me as someone that can make entire team listen to what he says and then transform that on the pitch. Even at half-times for example. I can imagine Terry shouting to the team, firing them up and considering his status in PL, everyone would appreciate his talks. Zola not so much on the other hand, he doesnt have that motivational power. 

For example, he looked completely hopeless in that Kepa situation in final. I almost felt sorry for the lad trying to be relevant in that situation and shout at Kepa, but to no good. Also, his comments about CHO were realy bad for his reputation, because now I (and many others) dont believe anything he says. He is just Sarri yes man. 

Zola was magnificent player for us, but he simply doesnt have that massive status at the club. Terry here is like Zidane at Real, when these legends who won it all talk, everyone listens and tries to be like them.

Regarding language, they obviously know English, but they certainly talk in italian about stuff that is more complex because they can easier discuss about it in italian. 

25 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

IMO Terry would have much bigger presence compared to Zola. He just doesnt strike me as someone that can make entire team listen to what he says and then transform that on the pitch. Even at half-times for example. I can imagine Terry shouting to the team, firing them up and considering his status in PL, everyone would appreciate his talks. Zola not so much on the other hand, he doesnt have that motivational power. 

For example, he looked completely hopeless in that Kepa situation in final. I almost felt sorry for the lad trying to be relevant in that situation and shout at Kepa, but to no good. Also, his comments about CHO were realy bad for his reputation, because now I (and many others) dont believe anything he says. He is just Sarri yes man. 

Zola was magnificent player for us, but he simply doesnt have that massive status at the club. Terry here is like Zidane at Real, when these legends who won it all talk, everyone listens and tries to be like them.

Regarding language, they obviously know English, but they certainly talk in italian about stuff that is more complex because they can easier discuss about it in italian. 

Maybe not for younger fans or those that have been following Chelsea only during the Abramovich years but for older fans he does hold that level of status. 

I grew up watching Chelsea in the 90's and it's impossible for me to explain just how great he was when he came to the club. It's much the same as my dad's generation growing up idolising Osgood.

I do agree with you on the point with regards to having the presence of one of the influential members of the old guard at the club. It's a shame that Terry decided he still had more football in him because if he had retired at the end of his Chelsea contract, I'm pretty sure Conte would have wanted him at the club to replace Steve Holland.

It is one of the reasons I would be very intrigued to see Lampard come back to manage the club.

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I dont think an assistant managers place is that regardless of who it is. Be it Zola, JT, Drogba, Lampard whoever. Manager is the top dog , assistant managers are more a buffer between the players and manager, and thats probably the case at a lot of clubs. The manager is more likely to get the team up as opposed to anybody else. The players also have a responsibility to motivate themselves too.

Zola doesnt have a massive status st the club ? Are you joking? Zola is arguably one of the best players who has ever put on the shirt. Thats big enough surely??? Please, ask anybody who watched Chelsea in the 90s and tell them that Zola doesnt have a massive status here. I dare you.

Again how do you know that? Are you in the dressing room? Most clubs want everyone in the dressing room to speak one language so everyone is aware of what is being said. Be it Celtic FC, PSG, Chelsea or Hamburg or whoever. Most players these days are bilingual but again Ive heard stories about certain players (Bale at Madrid, being told to speak in Spanish as opposed to English and various foreign players at Celtic being told to speak English in the dressing room so others can follow) and I doubt its just a few select clubs. So I suppose Conte and his staff where the same or Scolari and his staff? Or Jose and his? I doubt Sarri is sitting speaking in Italian behind players backs, even then how many players can speak Italian at the club? Zappa, Emerson, Alonso, Jorginho, Higuain... its hardly as if theyre speaking in Mandarin. Id imagine English club, first language in the dressing room would be English. Some of Sarris pressers have had Italian but I think your overplaying it.

Kepa situation was a disaster, players should of made him go. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I dont think an assistant managers place is that regardless of who it is. Be it Zola, JT, Drogba, Lampard whoever. Manager is the top dog , assistant managers are more a buffer between the players and manager, and thats probably the case at a lot of clubs. The manager is more likely to get the team up as opposed to anybody else. The players also have a responsibility to motivate themselves too.

Zola doesnt have a massive status st the club ? Are you joking? Zola is arguably one of the best players who has ever put on the shirt. Thats big enough surely??? Please, ask anybody who watched Chelsea in the 90s and tell them that Zola doesnt have a massive status here. I dare you.

Again how do you know that? Are you in the dressing room? Most clubs want everyone in the dressing room to speak one language so everyone is aware of what is being said. Be it Celtic FC, PSG, Chelsea or Hamburg or whoever. Most players these days are bilingual but again Ive heard stories about certain players (Bale at Madrid, being told to speak in Spanish as opposed to English and various foreign players at Celtic being told to speak English in the dressing room so others can follow) and I doubt its just a few select clubs. So I suppose Conte and his staff where the same or Scolari and his staff? Or Jose and his? I doubt Sarri is sitting speaking in Italian behind players backs, even then how many players can speak Italian at the club? Zappa, Emerson, Alonso, Jorginho, Higuain... its hardly as if theyre speaking in Mandarin. Id imagine English club, first language in the dressing room would be English. Some of Sarris pressers have had Italian but I think your overplaying it.

Kepa situation was a disaster, players should of made him go. 

In all the time I have been watching chelsea, I havent seen a manager so distanced from the players. Sarri is here to do his job and manage the team and there is where it ends for him. He doesnt have fans connection, nor player management. Jose for example surely spoken in portuguese ocassionaly, but he was very connected to most players at the club on personal level.

Maybe I said it wrong by pointing out Sarri and Zola language alone, because obviously they talk english to the players when instructing them. But my point should be that their language is definately one of many reasons why they are not as connected to the team. They dont have quality player management and they dont share same culture, its hard to connect with the squad then other than being a part of the job. But in the end, that wont make you a champion. Conte created great spirit (at least for a while), so did Jose or Zidane, Pep, Klopp. Obviously they dont speak in one language all the time, but they have other qualities to connect with players. Sarri and Zola looked cut from the rest of the team on many occassions. For that reason, someone in the middle like Terry would be better suited to connect the team and managing staff, since Sarri definately isnt player manager type. That was my main point, I just worded it wrong.

And as for Zola, I agree he was a massive player (I remember him play very briefly, but I have seen many highlights of his games), he is a big legend. I didnt mean he doesnt have a status here. Obviously he is beloved by fans and the club. But what I think is that he doesnt have that power to inspire, motivate or lead the players like Terry, Lamps or Drogba could. Despite he isnt that old, I just dont see him as someone that this new generation of players would appreciate as much as someone like Terry or Zidane at Real. Surely Zola has big status at the club, but I dont see the players giving him that same respect tbh. They know he was good player, but I dont think they would take him as serious inspiration. Times nowdays have changed big time compared to Zola prime. Thats obviously just my opinion, but so far from what we have seen on the pitch, its clear Sarri and Zola are doing bad job in motivating the players, player management, consistency and many other things. The players dont look comfortable. From the starters to the bench. I dont think that Im that wrong with my observation, althrough I wish I was.

That said I already mentioned Zola commenting on Odoi and thats the one thing I was realy dissapointed. Zola being club legend and apparently the one to connect with fans went on to talk about CHO but it turned out to be a bunch of shite just to back Sarri. From a club legend you would expect some honesty or club-benefiting thinking, because CHO being massive prospect, you would expect Zola to comment on him in order to "make" Sarri play him more, but it turned out he was just trying to back Sarri comments, while knowing the kid wont play much. Both are full of shit mate. 

5 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Maybe not for younger fans or those that have been following Chelsea only during the Abramovich years but for older fans he does hold that level of status. 

I grew up watching Chelsea in the 90's and it's impossible for me to explain just how great he was when he came to the club. It's much the same as my dad's generation growing up idolising Osgood.

I do agree with you on the point with regards to having the presence of one of the influential members of the old guard at the club. It's a shame that Terry decided he still had more football in him because if he had retired at the end of his Chelsea contract, I'm pretty sure Conte would have wanted him at the club to replace Steve Holland.

It is one of the reasons I would be very intrigued to see Lampard come back to manage the club.

Yeah I should word myself better. He has big status at the club and for the fans, but I dont see him being viewed by our current team as legend/idol like Terry or Lamps or Didi would be.

He played in completely different football era. Pele is massive legend for example too, but Zidane and similar players hold much bigger status for current generation to learn from. 

• 2 months later...
On 29/12/2007 at 1:54 AM, Ricky10 said:

If it wernt for him i wouldent suport Chelsea loved ZOLA,Hope one day he comes our assistent

11 years later your hope came true :P

Anyway, wanted to ask if there's any word on what will happen to Zola now that Sarri's gone? Will he stay with Lamps, or...?

3 minutes ago, manpe said:

11 years later your hope came true :P

Anyway, wanted to ask if there's any word on what will happen to Zola now that Sarri's gone? Will he stay with Lamps, or...?

From what i heard he's been offered a ambassadorial role and turned it down as he wants to carry on coaching.

Is it me or has his return gone a little bit too under the radar? You would think his return after all this time even as assistant would have caused unprecedented fanfare but he's barely been adknowledged atall, not even an initial fuss was made of him.

Gianfranco Zola is set to leave Chelsea with Maurizio Sarri’s departure imminent.

Zola, who returned to the club last summer as assistant coach, signed a one-year contract, but Sky Sports News understands it has not been extended. 

Zola has been offered a role as a Chelsea ambassador, but he would prefer to continue coaching and is not likely to accept. 

It’s currently unclear whether there would be position with Sarri at Juventus, which leaves Zola, who is keen to stay in English football, looking for opportunities. 

expanded thumbnail

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly with the fact Maka and Drogba are meant to be coming back I am really surprised we couldnt make some sort of coaching position avaliable for Gianfranco as opposed to the ambassador role or whatever the club offered him.

Hes still hugely popular and respected, maybe being here with Sarri and his coaching career went against him/wants a return to management or even Frank just wanted to bring folk he worked with in but I think he could have definitely fit into a role. Shame but hey ho.

Classy statement, would expect nothing else from the guy. 

(Hope the club also look at recruiting Michael Ballack in some capacity although hes doing his coaching badges based off his Instagram so wonder what he will do after that)