Sergio Reguilón

NikkiCFC

7 hours ago, King Kante said:

If we are buying two LB's I'd prefer to buy one of Chilwell and Ruglion and then buy either Gosens or Telles as the second. Tbh, I am ok with Alonso as a LB2 as he provides some plan B options. 

We are going to have games every 3rd day. so unless we plan to run chilwell/reguilon into the ground or switch to back 3 to accomodate alonso, every 3rd game, we really need a 2nd LB. Given the congestion there will be enough game time for both. But anyways, Alonso, is just not an option.

42 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

We are going to have games every 3rd day. so unless we plan to run chilwell/reguilon into the ground or switch to back 3 to accomodate alonso, every 3rd game, we really need a 2nd LB. Given the congestion there will be enough game time for both. But anyways, Alonso, is just not an option.

chilwell for league and CL, then alonso can play in FA, carling & backup when chilwell injured. no need to have depth with same quality, even TAA and robertson didn't have backup as good as alonso...

We should target both Chilwell and Reguilon, we can sell Alonso and Emerson is on the his way out. We have many games throughout the season, both can get enough games without being burned out. At 25m (if that is the price quoted) he is cheap for the quality and hype that is created around him. 

28 minutes ago, blu35_army said:

chilwell for league and CL, then alonso can play in FA, carling & backup when chilwell injured. no need to have depth with same quality, even TAA and robertson didn't have backup as good as alonso...

Just because it worked for Liverpool does not mean it will work for us.

City have walker and cancelo, RM have marcelo and mendy. There are plenty of examples. Moreover a "fight" for places is always good.

Forget injuries, what happens if chilwell loses form? Are we back to alonso? What about a 2 month long injury? 

We also have reece and azpi fighting over the RB spot, there is literally no reason to settle for such a pathetic option like alonso when we can easily upgrade over it for literally the same price.

Alonso is more than good enough to play backup for one more season. Getting two new players for the same position in the same window rarely works out because it's much harder for the other one to settle in with little playing time. Alonso already knows the squad and the manager so it's easier for him to come in the team when needed than it would be for someone who's only just joined the club. Not to mention selling him at a good enough value would not be that easy right now but in 1-2 years shipping him out should be more doable.

And just from the pairs you mentioned Walker & Cancelo doesn't really work. Cancelo is a good player but he hasn't looked anywhere near his best given that he very rarely plays. Real Madrid have Mendy and Marcelo because they're slowly trying to phase out Marcelo who's 32 and suffers from injuries.

With Azpi and James the structure is also good because one is a young talent and the other is older so I'd think it's clear for the both of them that James' playing time will increase as time goes by. Having two 23yo left-backs like Reguilon and Chillwell on the other hand would be completely different because both would expect to be starters and the one who misses out will eventually become unhappy.

2 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

Just because it worked for Liverpool does not mean it will work for us.

City have walker and cancelo, RM have marcelo and mendy. There are plenty of examples. Moreover a "fight" for places is always good.

Forget injuries, what happens if chilwell loses form? Are we back to alonso? What about a 2 month long injury? 

We also have reece and azpi fighting over the RB spot, there is literally no reason to settle for such a pathetic option like alonso when we can easily upgrade over it for literally the same price.

Tbh I dont want us to become another city without known starting 11. Its always best to have 11 starters than rotation that city is doing. Because it creates a better chemistry and players give it all. Why would Mahrez give 110% if he knows he will get benched next 2 games? And thats exactly what is killing City in games like Lyon. 

If we plan to buy Chilwell, then stick to him even if he hits the hard run. Support him and let him improve. He cost 65m, he has to be trusted by the board, no? Otherwise why would we pay that if we dont have faith in him. Meanwhile if he hits bad form and we play Reguilon, why would Chilwell give a damn when he returns if we are picking players like its just business. It creates bad chemistry and we should stay away from such tactic.

Chilwell/Reguilon as first option and Alonso as backup is fine.

30 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Tbh I dont want us to become another city without known starting 11. Its always best to have 11 starters than rotation that city is doing. Because it creates a better chemistry and players give it all. Why would Mahrez give 110% if he knows he will get benched next 2 games? And thats exactly what is killing City in games like Lyon. 

If we plan to buy Chilwell, then stick to him even if he hits the hard run. Support him and let him improve. He cost 65m, he has to be trusted by the board, no? Otherwise why would we pay that if we dont have faith in him. Meanwhile if he hits bad form and we play Reguilon, why would Chilwell give a damn when he returns if we are picking players like its just business. It creates bad chemistry and we should stay away from such tactic.

Chilwell/Reguilon as first option and Alonso as backup is fine.

I disagree.

Why would a player put in his best foot forward if there is no real danger of an ax. For some very weird reason, its only NOW, that people/managers want small squads. SAF always had a big squad and used a lot of rotation. We ourselves had 2 players for each position around 2004-10. After which our difference in the first squad and bench was very visible and hence the problems.

There is a difference in supporting Chilwell, and over-using him. We bought torres for 50mil, and kept playing him despite his issues of form, injuries etc etc. WHat happened? Thats so not the way to get the best out of players?

I would be fine with having castillo as backup, but never EVER going to be fine with having Alonso as a back up. The guy is useless. Will disrupt the whole chemistry and the way we play each time he takes the field. No way should he be in our squad next season.

As others have said buying two LB's in one window is troblesome as one of the players will only play 20-30% of the time and struggles to settle. As slow as Alonso is, he isn't completely dire and there have been occasions this season where he has bailed us out. Starting Alonso against the likes of Sheff Utd, WBA, Fulham, Brighton, Newcastle etc is not an issue. For sure, do not start him against City or a Bayern/super quick teams. 

Alonso for me is a flawed player but the way some people go on you would think he is Baka/Batsh*t bad and that just isn't the case. 

PS, we aren't finding anyone to tale on his £100k a week wages, let alone pay us a fee on top. 

51 minutes ago, King Kante said:

As others have said buying two LB's in one window is troblesome as one of the players will only play 20-30% of the time and struggles to settle. As slow as Alonso is, he isn't completely dire and there have been occasions this season where he has bailed us out. Starting Alonso against the likes of Sheff Utd, WBA, Fulham, Brighton, Newcastle etc is not an issue. For sure, do not start him against City or a Bayern/super quick teams. 

Alonso for me is a flawed player but the way some people go on you would think he is Baka/Batsh*t bad and that just isn't the case. 

PS, we aren't finding anyone to tale on his £100k a week wages, let alone pay us a fee on top. 

Same people said that there is no way we would buy kai havertz after already buying ziyech and werner. 

Have you seen the fixture list? It's horrendous. We need depth. And we need quality depth. The likes of alonso have played against sheffield's and Leeds and have screwed us over multiple times with us having to change the formation and way we play. 

As for the last bit, same was being said about

1. Bakayoko - close to 20m € exit to milan (with lyon, Fulham and CP monitoring)

2. Emerson - close to 20m€ exit to inter (with Napoli and Juve in the race too)

3. Batshuayi - linked with 25m£ exit to Leeds

So there will always be takers for players. 

12 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

Same people said that there is no way we would buy kai havertz after already buying ziyech and werner. 

Have you seen the fixture list? It's horrendous. We need depth. And we need quality depth. The likes of alonso have played against sheffield's and Leeds and have screwed us over multiple times with us having to change the formation and way we play. 

1. Bakayoko - close to 20m € exit to milan (with lyon, Fulham and CP monitoring)

Even so, do you really consider the second choice LB to be the most pressing concern in the squad? The very first priority should be making the first XI as strong as possible so after singing a new LB (whether it's Chillwell, Reguilon or someone else) the club should focus fully on GK and CB areas before even thinking about the LB position again. And after those two are done I'd say DMF is next on the agenda, unless the defensive signing is Rice who can do both DM and CB.

While I don't think he's good enough, at least for the big games, having Alonso as 2nd choice LB for at least another season should be the least of our problems in the short term.

12 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

1) Let's see who actually takes those players. Press links are one thing, actually selling the player is another. Especially when it comes to fees. 

2) On top of Harvetz and a LB, we desperately need a GK, CB and probably a DM also, so those need to be sorted first before any LB2.

3) Alonso is actually that bad, as a LB2 he is perfectly fine. He can play 15-20 games a season against lower ranked opposition and not be a problem. If we get a good offer for him (unlikely) then sure, upgrade him. However, it is a massive problem and certainly a smaller one than some of the other areas. 

7 minutes ago, Jype said:

Even so, do you really consider the second choice LB to be the most pressing concern in the squad? The very first priority should be making the first XI as strong as possible so after singing a new LB (whether it's Chillwell, Reguilon or someone else) the club should focus fully on GK and CB areas before even thinking about the LB position again. And after those two are done I'd say DMF is next on the agenda, unless the defensive signing is Rice who can do both DM and CB.

While I don't think he's good enough, at least for the big games, having Alonso as 2nd choice LB for at least another season should be the least of our problems in the short term.

I think the concept of first xi will have to be thrown out of the window for this season. There is a game every 3rd day. That's huge. Rotation and depth will decide the measure of success this season. 

So I honestly feel a 2nd lb IS a matter of concern. If we play 60 games next season, alonso starts 20-25 easily. That's 20 games where we either need to change our formation or just forego the left wing. 

Point is, I dont think we will have a problem finding suitors for alonso, and I think we already have the signing lined up. It does not dent our budget or clog our wage and amortization bill.

Whereas buying a DM is totally reliant on off loading jorginho. There is no way we will be buying a DM if we still have jorginho or our books irrespective of what happens with alonso. 

14 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

I think the concept of first xi will have to be thrown out of the window for this season. There is a game every 3rd day. That's huge. Rotation and depth will decide the measure of success this season. 

So I honestly feel a 2nd lb IS a matter of concern. If we play 60 games next season, alonso starts 20-25 easily. That's 20 games where we either need to change our formation or just forego the left wing. 

Point is, I dont think we will have a problem finding suitors for alonso, and I think we already have the signing lined up. It does not dent our budget or clog our wage and amortization bill.

Whereas buying a DM is totally reliant on off loading jorginho. There is no way we will be buying a DM if we still have jorginho or our books irrespective of what happens with alonso. 

Yeah I agree lots of rotation is needed, but it's not like Alonso is the Kepa of left-backs. He's not a top class player but he's done an alright job most of the time in the four years he's been at the club, even in a back-4. He has some shockers at the back but to compensate for that he contributes in attack too. Overall not good enough but decent for a backup.

And you still ignore the point I was making earlier. Signing two new LBs is risky because both need time for settling in and getting to know the play style of their team mates. You don't gel playing 20-30% of the games so the 2nd LB could still perform worse than Alonso, even if by their ability level they were better players. We've seen at Man City that Cancelo hasn't had the easiest time settling in and he's not performed any better than his predecessor Danilo who's a much worse player but at least he was familiar with his team mates and Guardiola's tactics.

I don't like Alonso as a player and as a man I despise him for the fact he got away with killing someone while drink driving but I can see why the club aren't planning on replacing him just yet. Should be axed next year though.

3 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

I disagree.

Why would a player put in his best foot forward if there is no real danger of an ax. For some very weird reason, its only NOW, that people/managers want small squads. SAF always had a big squad and used a lot of rotation. We ourselves had 2 players for each position around 2004-10. After which our difference in the first squad and bench was very visible and hence the problems.

There is a difference in supporting Chilwell, and over-using him. We bought torres for 50mil, and kept playing him despite his issues of form, injuries etc etc. WHat happened? Thats so not the way to get the best out of players?

I would be fine with having castillo as backup, but never EVER going to be fine with having Alonso as a back up. The guy is useless. Will disrupt the whole chemistry and the way we play each time he takes the field. No way should he be in our squad next season.

Thing with Sir Alex is he had a big squad but for the most part a set 11-13 that would play any match of importance, the rest were simply there to fill in for a flat track game when a big boy needed a rest (O Shea, p.Neville etc) or just there to be a super sub and not much more (OGS).

Alonso can play vs the Newcastle's of this world while our new LB saves his energy for Bayern.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Thing with Sir Alex is he had a big squad but for the most part a set 11-13 that would play any match of importance, the rest were simply there to fill in for a flat track game when a big boy needed a rest (O Shea, p.Neville etc) or just there to be a super sub and not much more (OGS).

Alonso can play vs the Newcastle's of this world while our new LB saves his energy for Bayern.

You guys seem to rate alonso much higher than I do. For me, it's like saying, we have papy djobodji as our 3rd CB so we will be fine, or we have michy/Bamford/Franco di santo as our 2nd striker. I mean that's the level of alonso as a LB. A lower to mid table PL club player. 

Liverpool bought that guy from Olympiacos, (who a lot here wanted ahead of chilwell), and we are wondering why we are suffering in games and in breaking teams down when teams don't have 1 but 2 players better in a single position than ours.

Also, what makes people say he will do well.against newcastle? They are gonna play deep, make us suffer on the counter? Can he help us in attack by dribbling past a player. Hell no. Infact he costs us several good positions by pulling the ball back. Can he atleast be defensively solid against counters? Lol.

I am sorry, but alonso is the last name I would want to see on the team sheet and in our squad for next season. Which I can promise will happen a lot due to fixture congestion. I somehow feel we will sell him and buy another LB. 

3 hours ago, Jype said:

Yeah I agree lots of rotation is needed, but it's not like Alonso is the Kepa of left-backs. He's not a top class player but he's done an alright job most of the time in the four years he's been at the club, even in a back-4. He has some shockers at the back but to compensate for that he contributes in attack too. Overall not good enough but decent for a backup.

And you still ignore the point I was making earlier. Signing two new LBs is risky because both need time for settling in and getting to know the play style of their team mates. You don't gel playing 20-30% of the games so the 2nd LB could still perform worse than Alonso, even if by their ability level they were better players. We've seen at Man City that Cancelo hasn't had the easiest time settling in and he's not performed any better than his predecessor Danilo who's a much worse player but at least he was familiar with his team mates and Guardiola's tactics.

I don't like Alonso as a player and as a man I despise him for the fact he got away with killing someone while drink driving but I can see why the club aren't planning on replacing him just yet. Should be axed next year though.

Lots of fair point. 

Just one though. If we get an offer for 25m€ for alonso and were able to get reguilon/tagliafco for the same amount, will it be worth passing this chance away?

31 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

You guys seem to rate alonso much higher than I do. For me, it's like saying, we have papy djobodji as our 3rd CB so we will be fine, or we have michy/Bamford/Franco di santo as our 2nd striker. I mean that's the level of alonso as a LB. A lower to mid table PL club player. 

Liverpool bought that guy from Olympiacos, (who a lot here wanted ahead of chilwell), and we are wondering why we are suffering in games and in breaking teams down when teams don't have 1 but 2 players better in a single position than ours.

Also, what makes people say he will do well.against newcastle? They are gonna play deep, make us suffer on the counter? Can he help us in attack by dribbling past a player. Hell no. Infact he costs us several good positions by pulling the ball back. Can he atleast be defensively solid against counters? Lol.

I am sorry, but alonso is the last name I would want to see on the team sheet and in our squad for next season. Which I can promise will happen a lot due to fixture congestion. I somehow feel we will sell him and buy another LB. 

I'm sorry but that is way way to harsh on Alonso, he may not be world class but he has his uses and certainly more so than the players you mentioned do. 

Above all else, there's only going to be so much money we can spend in one window, if we want to get rid of Alonso we have to find other ways to sort out our backup LB beyond buying atleast for next year. Whether that's by keeping Emerson instead (lol), promoting Maatsen or do what was done with Milner/Delph and shift a midfielder there, not sure who on our rooster would be suitable for that role, Gallagher perhaps?

54 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

Alonso is miles above that level of player. The only reason Alonso isn't considered a very good/excellent player is due to speed. Virtually all of his bad points are to do with him being to slow to recover. You play him in a 343 then he is pretty good. The problem is when he is asked to play in a back 4. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You