test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Skipper

9. Álvaro Morata

Started by The Skipper,

854 posts in this topic
Who do you think were the best?

Berbatov.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/3264917/alvaro-morata-enjoys-a-beer-on-walk-home-after-stamford-bridge-games

Morata lives with his wife in the Chelsea and Kensington Borough and told Cadena Ser radio: "I live five minutes away from the stadium [Stamford Bridge]. Sometimes after the game is over and the road is closed to traffic, I walk home. I just change my clothes, I take my Chelsea gear off as otherwise it would be impossible, put a hat on as it's colder there [than in Madrid] and walk home.

"If we win the game, I even take a beer with me to have while walking home!"

What a lad.

23 minutes ago, Blusan Alamb said:

Dennis Bergkamp

I thought of him first, too. But wasn't he more of a second-striker, not really #9?

7 hours ago, El P. said:

I thought of him first, too. But wasn't he more of a second-striker, not really #9?

The question is not about the best one. He said Drogba isnt among the best, so I am asking ten names.

12 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

Who do you think were the best?

Remembering that we’re talking about quality of close control specifically, and not necessarily about overall impact, then, in no particular order; Henry, Bergkamp, Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Van Nistelroy, Van Persie, Zola, Gudjohndon, Aguero. 

I did think about it for a few minutes, but I’m sure I’ve missed more than one who I would include in my list if I was reminded about them. 

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Remembering that we’re talking about quality of close control specifically, and not necessarily about overall impact, then, in no particular order; Henry, Bergkamp, Suarez, Ibrahimovic, Van Nistelroy, Van Persie, Zola, Gudjohndon, Aguero. 

I did think about it for a few minutes, but I’m sure I’ve missed more than one who I would include in my list if I was reminded about them. 

Different type of players, who played also as number 10s or on the sides. As a pure number nine Drogba had great close control, one of the best in PL history 

On 10.11.2017 at 11:49 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

No it isn't.

He is a professional footballer. All pro players are capable of great things and The Drog certainly was and is. There are many, many examples of outstanding control throughout his Chelsea career but there are more of poor touch. Look at Rom. His supporters could make a long highlight vid featuring moments of great technical excellence, yet all people who have watched him play know that such a video would give the wrong impression of Lukaku's overall standard. The Drog over Rom all day, everyday, but was his close control among the Premier League's best ever? Absolutely not.

I vehemently disagree with that notion. In my time as a PL fan (past 10-15 years) I have seen only a few players who were able to move with the ball at their feet with such precision and efficiency as Drogba; rarely did a touch of his feel wasted when he was in control of the ball.

Having seen you listing someone like Van Nistelrooy among the PL players you claim had a better close control than Drogba though, it'll be for the best if we just agree to disagree :whisky:

1 hour ago, Amblève. said:

I vehemently disagree with that notion. In my time as a PL fan (past 10-15 years) I have seen only a few players who were able to move with the ball at their feet with such precision and efficiency as Drogba; rarely did a touch of his feel wasted when he was in control of the ball.

Having seen you listing someone like Van Nistelrooy among the PL players you claim had a better close control than Drogba though, it'll be for the best if we just agree to disagree :whisky:

Then you can't have been watching very closely, or more likely your memory has gone into highly selective mode.

Sorry to be so definite about this but it's the only way to express how strongly I disagree on this point. Think we'll have to leave this in the agree to differ pile. But... :)

Check the action at around 4:15 in the video below. Anyone who has been watching Chelsea since 2004 has seen hundreds of such examples, and I do not exaggerate.

It is worth watching the whole video if you're so inclined because it includes more positive contributions from The Drog. I'm not saying he didn't find ways to be effective. He did. Sometimes devastatingly so. He just wasn't the ultra smooth technician I'm reading your comments to be suggesting he was/is.

That video wasn't selected to make my point. It was the first listed when I searched YouTube for "Drogba Vs".

The Skipper, Barbara, DYC. and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Then you can't have been watching very closely, or more likely your memory has gone into highly selective mode.

Sorry to be so definite about this but it's the only way to express how strongly I disagree on this point. Think we'll have to leave this in the agree to differ pile. But... :)

Check the action at around 4:15 in the video below. Anyone who has been watching Chelsea since 2004 has seen hundreds of such examples, and I do not exaggerate.

It is worth watching the whole video if you're so inclined because it includes more positive contributions from The Drog. I'm not saying he didn't find ways to be effective. He did. Sometimes devastatingly so. He just wasn't the ultra smooth technician I'm reading your comments to be suggesting he was/is.

That video wasn't selected to make my point. It was the first listed when I searched YouTube for "Drogba Vs".

I totally agree. Drogba was good with the ball, but that's it. I mean... Dude was strong as a bull, and actually fast enough (at least when he was younger than 30). If his dribbling/ball control/close control were that great, it would mean that he had strength, speed, and great technique - full package -  which wasn't the case. He mainly used his strength, and even when he'd failed to control ball perfectly, he was just too strong in shielding the ball with his body.

Berbatov, Henry and Ibrahimović are the best examples of Godish ball controlling, and Drogba wasn't so close to that level. Van Persie was also brilliant, but he didn't keep that level for so long as others mentioned.

I think Drogba and Morata are in same bracket, ball controlling-wise. But, Morata is sure better and faster dribbler.

Robguima likes this

47 minutes ago, Jason said:

Just scored for Spain against Costa Rica. Collided with the keeper for the goal and looks alright. Not injured!

Phew. We don't need any more injuries that's for sure.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Phew. We don't need any more injuries that's for sure.

Already taken off at HT. So that's a relief!

Didn't realise Morata is indeed ahead of Lukaku in terms of goals-per-game in the league at this point. If we aren't in the title race, that can be one of our little races.

He's such an effective player, his downfall is when he starts falling to ground easy and throwing his hands at the official, but he's learning that's England.

He's not a bully of a forward he is like the Milk Tray man, he's subtle, good at what he does and has a real element of surprise about and is fucking great at what he does.

EMK and kellzfresh like this

Looks to be stronger in recent games. Not getting brushed off the ball as easily as before. Needs to keep it up and great that he's continued his goalscoring form.

On a different note, slightly concerned about him suffering potential fatigue in the coming games. With Batshuayi out for a few games (he doesn't play a lot granted but still), he'll definitely be playing every game in coming weeks. Surprised Conte didn't take him off earlier.

OneMoSalah and Blusan Alamb like this