Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

I was hoping for a loan, that would have been amazing business. 

But I guess if Conte likes him then that's a start. 

I remember when we bought Azpi he came out of nowhere, was an AVB scout. I remember when AVB came he had some decent targets....at least I hope that was him. And Azpi was one of his list. 

Here hoping this turns out to be the same. 

Azpi came out of nowhere and took to the Prem quickly. Alonso has had two bites of the cherry in the Prem already and didn't light it up on either side of the field.

8 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Azpi came out of nowhere and took to the Prem quickly. Alonso has had two bites of the cherry in the Prem already and didn't light it up on either side of the field.

He was actually very good in Sunderland ;)

He was actually very good in Sunderland [emoji6]

I remember him being decent, but not top 4 quality (I know he's improved since, but the sentiment is still the same). I've watched plenty of Fiorentina's games over the past 2-3 years. He's clearly a last resort at this point IMO.

I would NOT be surprised for him to be brought as a CB. I'm not saying he is, but he has the technical ability and can carry the ball out of the back, not to say that he is defensively astute, rellies more on his intelligence to intercept and tackle, rather than be pacey and catch up to the opposing winger. So, it would make sense. He isn't worth 25 million euro, but that is still cheap and given our situation it's completely normal that Fiorentina would milk us with a few mil. more.

9 minutes ago, Leif said:

I want to die. This is not a starting XI player. This is a bench player. This is not exciting and not a move that'll have much to say in where we go next as a club.

It may seem a bit underwhelming but still no doubt an improvement on what we have already.

1 hour ago, iceboy said:

If the part about his being a solid defender is true then I'm happy with this deal because the rest of his attributes look fine to me.

The biggest negative I can see is his apparent one footedness. In an ideal world he'd have the confidence to use his right foot just enough to open up more passing angles when he is in possession. That failing, if it is a failing, is not terminal however.  His ability on the ball can help him open up angles to play good passes with his left foot and in any case, no one is more one footed than Ashley Cole and he did okay.