Riyad Mahrez

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the right price id take him. but if they want 35m plus and he is expecting to start every week we don't need that headache.

If we can steal him for a reasonable fee and have him buy into being a good player on a successful team im interested.

Think he'd be a great signing for any of the top teams. If not here, I hope it's not Liverpool or Spuds. Can see him being an annoyingly great signing for either of them. 

2 hours ago, the wes said:

If Mahrez can recreate the form he had when Leicester City won the the league he could make a good signing 

I don't know why people are so keen on Mahrez. We need players who we know or can expect to do a proper job for us, not those who have question marks on.

And here's a thought that I don't think has been mentioned much - was Mahrez able to perform well last season because of Leicester's counter attacking style? Had tons of spaces to score and create chances. Leicester tried to change their approach this season and it didn't work out well for them or Mahrez.

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't know why people are so keen on Mahrez. We need players who we know or can expect to do a proper job for us, not those who have question marks on.

And here's a thought that I don't think has been mentioned much - was Mahrez able to perform well last season because of Leicester's counter attacking style? Had tons of spaces to score and create chances. Leicester tried to change their approach this season and it didn't work out well for them or Mahrez.

I could see him being a Liverpool signing and returning to the heights he saw previously. He'd be a Mané or Lallana type signing where he isn't coveted by the biggest sides and won't go for mega money but turns out to be very effective.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

I could see him being a Liverpool signing and returning to the heights he saw previously. He'd be a Mané or Lallana type signing where he isn't coveted by the biggest sides and won't go for mega money but turns out to be very effective.

If he turns out to be good for Liverpool, then that would probably be because they play a style that plays to his strengths.

He may sign for Liverpool but he's not going to turn them into a top quality side and really make your fear them, is he?

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

If he turns out to be good for Liverpool, then that would probably be because they play a style that plays to his strengths.

He may sign for Liverpool but he's not going to turn them into a top quality side and really make your fear them, is he?

Not really, no. If he ends up at Spurs it would make them scarier, though. He, Eriksen, and Kane in attack could be extremely tricky to play against.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

Not really, no. If he ends up at Spurs it would make them scarier, though. He, Eriksen, and Kane in attack could be extremely tricky to play against.

In some ways right now, we do fear Spurs already. I don't think the signing of Mahrez is going to add anymore to that. Different case say if they sign someone like James Rodriguez.

6 minutes ago, King11Didier said:

I won't mind having him in the team for a reasonable price. The squad needs depth and Mahrez could be helpful imo.

He wants to be a starter IMO :) I would rather use Willian and Traore as rotation players. We have to focus on improving our starting 11, we have enough depth ;) 

4 minutes ago, jernej93 said:

He wants to be a starter IMO :) I would rather use Willian and Traore as rotation players. We have to focus on improving our starting 11, we have enough depth ;) 

If he wants to be a starter, then I can't see him here, because I don't believe he is able to get over Pedro or Willian. I agree with you about that we have to improve our starting 11, that's why I want to see Sanchez with Chelsea shirt. Also, I'd definitely prefer Mahrez over Traore for squad depth.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

In some ways right now, we do fear Spurs already. I don't think the signing of Mahrez is going to add anymore to that. Different case say if they sign someone like James Rodriguez.

Yeah, the last thing they really need is another very good attacking player. They're so reliant on Kane for goals. Not sure I can see a player like James ever going there. He'll have offers from bigger clubs.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, the last thing they really need is another very good attacking player. They're so reliant on Kane for goals. Not sure I can see a player like James ever going there. He'll have offers from bigger clubs.

It's just an example. <_<

I am of the opinion that Mahrez could find that drive again he had in that title winning season with Conte and with our ambitions. Leicester as a whole was bad this season, we as the ones who suffered similar consequences after a title winning season should understand a bit that a failed season doesn't mean the player is bad. The negative momentum of the situtation just sucks everybody in and some kind of change is needed to rediscover your form, like our players have this season. Kante didn't stay, joined us instead and maintained his level or even upped i. I think had he stayed at Leicester he would have been sucked in too and we would be having question marks over him.

What I'm trying to say is that I would take him for a reasonable price, so that risk-reward relation makes it feasible. Leicester also aren't in a position to play hardball, because he has expressed his wish to leave publicly and I believe handed in a transfer request. The trump ace is in the buyer's hands, and we even signed Kante for peanuts after a worldie season even though he didn't kick up any fuss. I believe we can get him for less than £30 mill, maybe even around £20 mill region.

41 minutes ago, manpe said:

I am of the opinion that Mahrez could find that drive again he had in that title winning season with Conte and with our ambitions. Leicester as a whole was bad this season, we as the ones who suffered similar consequences after a title winning season should understand a bit that a failed season doesn't mean the player is bad. The negative momentum of the situtation just sucks everybody in and some kind of change is needed to rediscover your form, like our players have this season. Kante didn't stay, joined us instead and maintained his level or even upped i. I think had he stayed at Leicester he would have been sucked in too and we would be having question marks over him.

What I'm trying to say is that I would take him for a reasonable price, so that risk-reward relation makes it feasible. Leicester also aren't in a position to play hardball, because he has expressed his wish to leave publicly and I believe handed in a transfer request. The trump ace is in the buyer's hands, and we even signed Kante for peanuts after a worldie season even though he didn't kick up any fuss. I believe we can get him for less than £30 mill, maybe even around £20 mill region.

Not to mention he was really good at AFCON and in Champions league :) It was something like Hazard last season IMO ... 

The thing about Mahrez is that he perfectly fits our system. Our way of counter-attacking is similar to Leicester's in their title winning season based on risky balls to the wings, relying on them to cut dribble at high pace cutting inside and then having a striker playing off the shoulder or an overlapping fullback as alternative. If and that is a big if he can replicate his title-winning form he would be great left footed compliment to Hazard. We have been crying for someone who can run with the ball and beat players on that left side for ages. 

49 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

The thing about Mahrez is that he perfectly fits our system. Our way of counter-attacking is similar to Leicester's in their title winning season based on risky balls to the wings, relying on them to cut dribble at high pace cutting inside and then having a striker playing off the shoulder or an overlapping fullback as alternative. If and that is a big if he can replicate his title-winning form he would be great left footed compliment to Hazard. We have been crying for someone who can run with the ball and beat players on that left side for ages. 

Hazard is lazy, last thing we need is another lazy forward. It would mean Costa pressing on his own most of the game. Also no help to the wing backs.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You