Tactics/Formations thread

Parky

Whoever the manager is, would members of this forum like us to play 3-4-3, or move to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 next season? I ruled out 352 because it's so defensive, and I'm torn as to whether to stick with a back three, or change it up. On one hand, a back four would give us more a balance in midfield and on the flanks. On the other, if there is any chance of us keeping Eden Hazard next season (I think he'll go regardless, but just for arguments sake), it might be better to play him in a role where he has more freedom to express himself, without having to worry about tracking back.

Sick and tired of constantly playing 3 CBs even when fucking losing, even against championship teams and relegation fodder. We have no tactical flexibility and are so predictable. I want to see us being a 2 CB team again ASAP, with these players having the ability to switch to 3 CB when needed being a bonus.

• 2 months later...

I have read a few of these write ups about Sarris style of play and theres no doubtung that it is a very exciting style and I would dearly love us to play in this way.

But what worries me is that we wont be able to implement this overnight and it will take us awhile to learn it - as well as changing some members of the 1st team as well as the bench. Do we have the right players to do it? And if Roman doesn't change his mindset we will be sitting here again next summer (or January) looking to get yet another manager thru our turnstiles.

But fingers crossed that Sarri can get into our players heads and can get them working as well as the Napoli team are looking.

Tactical profile of Maurizio Sarri

https://www.esdfanalysis.com/manager-analysis/tactical-profile-maurizio-sarri/

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, bluesman2610 said:

#An In-depth look at Maurizio Sarri’s tactics at Napoli

http://www.thefalse9.com/2017/11/maurizio-sarri-tactics-napoli-formation.html

Checking out as much as I can about what we can expect from Sarris style. And no doubting that is an exciting came it worries me that we don't have nearly the right players to implement it.

14 hours ago, Unionjack said:

#An In-depth look at Maurizio Sarri’s tactics at Napoli

http://www.thefalse9.com/2017/11/maurizio-sarri-tactics-napoli-formation.html

Checking out as much as I can about what we can expect from Sarris style. And no doubting that is an exciting came it worries me that we don't have nearly the right players to implement it.

sarriball.JPG.592664ccd05c0b5845602fcb81cbf34c.JPG

This is kinda what I see the back 5 to me seems like that could do the job in sarriball - although the weak link there is Courtois as he is not the greatest with his feet.  the DM is the most important aspect and i dunno if we currently have a player that can play that role successfully - we'd hope that is Cesc but we should be in the market for a more mobile version- Kante plays the Allan role which is primary ball winner and person who cycles the ball - then in the more advanced mid role id like to see Ruben but someone like Seri or Golovin would excel in this role. The attack LW belongs to Hazard and rightly so RW i'd like to see us be bold and bring in someone like Bailey or Malcom - however i did read that Sarri was interested in working with Willian so we kinda gotta hold out hope there. Finally CF now this is a vital position and one to not be taken lightly - if you review last season Napoli with Dries Mertens up top they went with pace and finishing but with Higuan it was more finishing - considering we are after Higuan I'd play Bats in as the main Forward in this formation i think he could thrive with chances being created in how this system works. Still think if there is a chance to get someone like Icardi we should be all over that but also I think we shouldn't give up on Morata just yet id like to see him in a team that creates more chances to see if he improves because if he can find it he could be devastating in that attack. 

Sorry for the long post I have been thinking about how and who we'll play if Sarri is ever made official

45 minutes ago, bluesman2610 said:

sarriball.JPG.592664ccd05c0b5845602fcb81cbf34c.JPG

This is kinda what I see the back 5 to me seems like that could do the job in sarriball - although the weak link there is Courtois as he is not the greatest with his feet.  the DM is the most important aspect and i dunno if we currently have a player that can play that role successfully - we'd hope that is Cesc but we should be in the market for a more mobile version- Kante plays the Allan role which is primary ball winner and person who cycles the ball - then in the more advanced mid role id like to see Ruben but someone like Seri or Golovin would excel in this role. The attack LW belongs to Hazard and rightly so RW i'd like to see us be bold and bring in someone like Bailey or Malcom - however i did read that Sarri was interested in working with Willian so we kinda gotta hold out hope there. Finally CF now this is a vital position and one to not be taken lightly - if you review last season Napoli with Dries Mertens up top they went with pace and finishing but with Higuan it was more finishing - considering we are after Higuan I'd play Bats in as the main Forward in this formation i think he could thrive with chances being created in how this system works. Still think if there is a chance to get someone like Icardi we should be all over that but also I think we shouldn't give up on Morata just yet id like to see him in a team that creates more chances to see if he improves because if he can find it he could be devastating in that attack. 

Sorry for the long post I have been thinking about how and who we'll play if Sarri is ever made official

Can't see us having a cat in hells chance at competing for anything with that line up. Bats/Giroud/RLC/Willi/Cescy/AC all need upgrading.

We dont have 1 single player with an ounce of creativity.

1 minute ago, Unionjack said:

Can't see us having a cat in hells chance at competing for anything with that line up. Bats/Giroud/RLC/Willi/Cescy/AC all need upgrading.

We dont have 1 single player with an ounce of creativity.

I think you only looked at the graphic and not the explanation

2 hours ago, bluesman2610 said:

I think you only looked at the graphic and not the explanation

No of course not. Thats why I 'liked' your post.. You tried to equate what I'm sure we have all been doing quite well mate.

I'm just stating that if we used our current players in thiose positions playing Sarriball we would fail abysmally IMHO of course.

• 6 months later...

CIES Football Observatory

n°248 - 28/01/2019

Performance

Shots per goal: Paris St-Germain most efficient team in Europe

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2018/248/en/

No team in the 35 European competitions surveyed needed as few shots to score as Paris St-Germain. The French side scored so far every 4.7 shots. According to the exclusive InStat data, this ratio was inferior to five for another big-5 league club only: Borussia Dortmund. The top three per league is available in issue number 248 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post.

The most efficient teams in the three remaining leagues of the big-5 are Barcelona (5.4 shots per goal), Arsenal (5.8) and Sampdoria (5.9). The highest figure among teams from the five major European leagues was recorded for Huddersfield Town: 17.3 shots per goal. The Premier League club must absolutely improve this statistics to avoid relegation.

The most efficient team outside of the big-5 are the Swiss of BSC Young Boys (4.8), ahead of FC Midtjylland and PSV Eindhoven. On the contrary, Apollon Smyrnis (25.1), Hapoel Tel Aviv (21.1) and Arsenal Kyiv (20.7) were so far particularly inefficient. More performance data is available in the CIES Football Observatory Performance Atlas, as well as on demand.

wp248360x240.jpg?crc=386188467

Average number of shots per goal scored

Domestic league matches played between 01/07/2018 and 22/01/2019 - Data: InStat

wp248a.svg?crc=482444628

wp248b.svg?crc=4232793646

• 1 year later...

Werner-Havertz-Ziyech
------Kovacic---RLC
------------Billy
Taglia-Zouma-Rüdiger-RJ

A man can dream. This line up has insane creativity and also an insane goal threat. I would play Havertz just as Klopp uses Firminho. Havertz Ziyech RLC and Werner all like to shoot from all ranges.
This line up gives us also the ability to score headers. RLC and Havertz both 190 cm. Werner is not good at heading balls because he is 180 cm, but I can see him scoring headers when opponents worry about RLC and Havertz scoring headers, so it would give him more space.
With Ziyech and RJ, we can play crazy crosses, so our two big guys could score more. RLC gives us also the physicality in midfield, so we can still win headers in midfield and don't get pushed around from other physical teams.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

logo football observatory

Going backwards to go forwards: City are the masters

Issue number 327 of the CIES Football Observatory Weekly Post crunches the InStat data on the direction of passes made during current season by more than 500 teams from 31 European leagues. No club made so far a greater percentage of passes backwards than current Premier League leaders Manchester City: 41.6%. This reflects the emphasis put on possession by Guardiola’s side.

Six other teams from the five major European leagues are in the top 10 positions of the table: Chelsea (4th), Arsenal (5th), Sassuolo (7th), Barcelona (8th), Paris St-Germain (9th) and Real Madrid (10th). The only exceptions are Shakhtar Donetsk (2nd), Lokomotiv Moscow (3rd) and Ferencvaros (6th). Conversely, with only 24.0% of passes backwards, the bottom-ranked Championship team Wycombe Wanderers are at the bottom of this table too.

The more competitive the leagues, the higher the percentage of backward passes. The greatest proportion of passes backwards was recorded for the English Premier League (36.5%). The time for kick and rush is definitely over. This is not that much the case for less performing championships. The lowest percentage of backward passes was observed in the Austrian Bundesliga (29.6%). More statistics at team level are to be found in the CIES Football Observatory Performance Atlas.

7f415fb1acff3aaa2f2a05b70f020c3b.png