Michael Essien

LDN Blue

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking - is Essien now surplus to requirements?

He has been a faithful servant and remains a great player, but he certainly has become inconsistent and he is also developing a nasty habit of becoming injury prone. I firmly believe that the younger duo of Ramires and Mikel play his role far better, and also Ramires offers a greater attacking thrust and more invention with his effervescence. Plus I believe Essien really does affect the team's dynamism. Essien plays his best football when he has licence to roam forward, but he is limited when Lampard plays. If we sign an attacking midfielder, you would imagine Essien would have been the man to miss out on a starting berth anyway.

He has been struggling to recapture his best form for the club, and though he has the odd excellent game, I think we ought to cut our losses. Selling an injured player is moreorless going to be impossible, especially a cruciate ligament. But I'm afraid with a dodgy knee, he won't ever return to the form he enjoyed in 2006-2008.

Thoughts?

He has been a faithful servant and remains a great player, but he certainly has become inconsistent and he is also developing a nasty habit of becoming injury prone. I firmly believe that the younger duo of Ramires and Mikel play his role far better, and also Ramires offers a greater attacking thrust and more invention with his effervescence. Plus I believe Essien really does affect the team's dynamism. Essien plays his best football when he has licence to roam forward, but he is limited when Lampard plays. If we sign an attacking midfielder, you would imagine Essien would have been the man to miss out on a starting berth anyway.

He has been struggling to recapture his best form for the club, and though he has the odd excellent game, I think we ought to cut our losses. Selling an injured player is moreorless going to be impossible, especially a cruciate ligament. But I'm afraid with a dodgy knee, he won't ever return to the form he enjoyed in 2006-2008.

Thoughts?

I am afraid I have to agree with you

Thoughts?

:goodpost: Post of the millenium. unfortunately some people still view essien as the bison of 4/5 years ago.

:goodpost: Post of the millenium. unfortunately some people still view essien as the bison of 4/5 years ago.

I am one of those people BTW , and i think Lamps is still one of the best ACM around too .

They had shitty season because of the shitty management of "King Carlo" , you can't judge players during the worst spell of the team in recent history.

I think Lampard and Essien Deserves to get a chance to begin this season as starters , they both apart from last year were our most consistent players over the last 6 years ! Essien came back from many long term injuries and returned to his former-self ,

And Lamps is absolutely one of the most consistent players on earth.

Lampard and Essien will both start next season in our starting XI , It's up to them whether to end the season in the same place or on the bench .

I feel for Essien. Damn knee injuries. My daughter is 16 and scheduled for her second ACL surgery on Monday. Injuries take a toll on the body and mind. Speedy recovery to Essien.

Speedy recover to her too then.

Depends on how bad it is...we won't know for sure until the next few days...

But if its a recurrence of the same injury, then that's pretty much it....end-of...

Damn...now I'm taking that curse his father supposedly placed on him seriously...

What a lost.. really hope its not a big deal as it sounds.

By the way, I heard alot of people talking about the poor form of Essien last season, I thought he wasn't at his best too,

but I saw a post made by a guy from another forum about Essien last season. Wanted to know what you think, I think he has a point.

"The departure of Ballack changed Essien's position, and maybe that's why people see him less involved in the attacking game. It's not says somthing about

the ability that he produces, because Essien was and remains a great player, and every moment from him on the field is useful to the team. When Ballack was in Chelsea, Essien was free to help the attack and be more involved in our flowing game. When Ballack left, Essien was the only responsible and tough

character on midfield, which gave him all the responsibility in the defensive midfield. It probably gave people the feeling Essien was less involved, and gave less to the team".