Filipe Luís

Jase

Luis is not a bad signing at all to me, he is a very good left back after all and is very good going forward and solid at the back...

However, if we're going to spend £20m+ on a LB I'd prefer Shaw instead.

Either way, it's still an improvement because it'll mean that we can finally get proper natural width from our full backs, as it'll mean Azpi will move back to the right.

I think Jose wants instant success next season. I mean if your team was going into a CL semi final next season let's say, who would you rather have at LB, Luke Shaw or Felipe Luis? Shaw is undeniably a great prospect but Luis is vastly experienced and is, imo, miles better at the moment.

Atletico Madrid is trying to keep Filipe Luis, but Chelsea is seriously considering paying his exit clause set at 26 million euro (Di Marzio)

26 million euros?? For that much money we can buy Shaw who is 10 years younger and English.

Suddenly felipe luis is a better choice becuase man utd have bid for shaw this forum is always the same! How can someone say he would rather have luis as shaw. About the same price, one is homefgrown, 18/19-28/29, second best LB in the PL and la liga! The answer is easy

Suddenly felipe luis is a better choice becuase man utd have bid for shaw this forum is always the same! How can someone say he would rather have luis as shaw. About the same price, one is homefgrown, 18/19-28/29, second best LB in the PL and la liga! The answer is easy

One is vastly experienced and has played at the highest level in Europe, the other has played two top flight seasons with Southampton. One is already one of the best LBs in Europe, the other has the potential to become the best.

Shaw is a great talent, but if you want to win things next season, you'll need an established LB. You can't get a 20yo who has never played a game in a European compitition in his life and throw him in the deep end because mistakes will happen. Had Cole stayed, then I would have seen a case for signing Shaw because we would have had someone who we can rely on in big games, but now, I think Jose and the board are making the right call in going after Luis, even though I don't like the quoted price tag.

26 million euros?? For that much money we can buy Shaw who is 10 years younger and English.

United offer for Southampton was 27m pounds, thats 33m euros (and idk if the bid was accepted by them). Luis will cost at least 7m euros less. When you buy Luis (and not Shaw) you get a better LB for the next 2-3 seasons, which is a crucial period for our club when i assume we desperately want to win things.

Wouldn't say they're about the same price.

There's a pretty huge difference between £20m and £30m. I'm so on the fence about this situation. Either would be GREAT signings but one may only be great for a few years while the other may be great for 15.

We have the money to splurge, though....

When you buy Luis (and not Shaw) you get a better LB for the next 2-3 seasons

Luis would be slightly cheaper but he is not home grown and 10 years older. Think of the price to value ratio.

And how do you know that Luis will be better than Shaw for the next 2-3 seasons? That's just unpredictable.

Luis would be slightly cheaper but he is not home grown and 10 years older. Think of the price to value ratio.

And how do you know that Luis will be better than Shaw for the next 2-3 seasons? That's just unpredictable.

How do we know Shaw will be good enough? Luis has proven himself against the best in the world, Shaw might be good against Lennon but Ronaldo? Cant believe people still justify the £30m price tag for Shaw.

One is vastly experienced and has played at the highest level in Europe, the other has played two top flight seasons with Southampton. One is already one of the best LBs in Europe, the other has the potential to become the best.

Shaw is a great talent, but if you want to win things next season, you'll need an established LB. You can't get a 20yo who has never played a game in a European compitition in his life and throw him in the deep end because mistakes will happen. Had Cole stayed, then I would have seen a case for signing Shaw because we would have had someone who we can rely on in big games, but now, I think Jose and the board are making the right call in going after Luis, even though I don't like the quoted price tag.

And you are telling me that we cant win anything by putting an inexprienced player amongs very experienced player in out bacl four. I get the thing that felipe luis would be better for the shot term. IF he can adapt to the PL a big IF is there that shaw would not have!

How do we know Shaw will be good enough? Luis has proven himself against the best in the world, Shaw might be good against Lennon but Ronaldo? Cant believe people still justify the £30m price tag for Shaw.

We don't know.. You even highlighted my last sentences. It's unpredictable.. 30 million for Shaw is obviously too much, if we signed Filipe or Moreno for 15 I wouldn't mind. But 26 million for an almost 30 years old LB?

Let's just get Rodriguez for 20M.

Filipe Luis, precisely because he's 28, is the safest pick out of all mentioned. The price might be excessive, but at least we know what we are getting out of him barring any injuries, and that's a world class fullback for next few years. It's not a home run transfer, but we didn't swing for the fences either.

And you are telling me that we cant win anything by putting an inexprienced player amongs very experienced player in out bacl four. I get the thing that felipe luis would be better for the shot term. IF he can adapt to the PL a big IF is there that shaw would not have!

Of course we can win with Shaw, but we'll have a better chance with an established LB like Luis. Honestly, if your team had a big CL match and you had both in your squad, who would you start ahead of the other?

Why wouldn't Luis adapt to the PL? It's not like we're talking about a striker or a tiny AM who will struggle to deal with the physicality of the league. He'll practically be playing in the same system since Atleti's defensive system is very similar to ours (pressing with two up front, then with two banks of four and forcing the play to the wings).

In fact, I'd be more worried about Shaw adapting to European games than about Luis adapting to the PL.

Of course we can win with Shaw, but we'll have a better chance with an established LB like Luis. Honestly, if your team had a big CL match and you had both in your squad, who would you start ahead of the other?

Why wouldn't Luis adapt to the PL? It's not like we're talking about a striker or a tiny AM who will struggle to deal with the physicality of the league. He'll practically be playing in the same system since Atleti's defensive system is very similar to ours (pressing with two up front, then with two banks of four and forcing the play to the wings).

In fact, I'd be more worried about Shaw adapting to European games than about Luis adapting to the PL.

Likewise, how do you know wouldn't Shaw acclimatise to European football either?

Likewise, how do you know wouldn't Shaw acclimatise to European football either?

I don't know. I'm just saying he might because most players, especially young ones, struggle in their first seasons in Europe because the level and intensity are different. On any account, that is not why I'd prefer Luis but the fact that I want instant success next season.

I don't know. I'm just saying he might because most players, especially young ones, struggle in their first seasons in Europe because the level and intensity are different. On any account, that is not why I'd prefer Luis but the fact that I want instant success next season.

Instant success won't be dependant on having Luis or Shaw...