Filipe Luís

Jase

Still not comparable imo... also I'd be very surprised if Luís got the same treatment as Cole... VERY surprised. He isn't fit yet for EPL and that's been clear from PS and Mourinho must have an even better idea based on trainings.

Of course Luis won't be getting the same treatment as Cole. It will be silly of Mourinho if that happens. Was just comparing the similarities, not sameness in the situation.

I don't think Cole could be used from time to time, while he was still useful offensively he was a liability defensively losing most of the runs on his flank. He exposed the team, especially against fast wingers and FBs.

Think we had this conversation before and we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Luís doesn't expose us and we're talking about a player that could have been the very best LB last season or at least a top 3. Chelsea didn't have then FB that would make even the top 5 in the continent, probably a bit worse, but now we have Ivanovic playing as the best FB in the world. I haven't been watching much football, but based on what I've watched last season from other FBs and having watched all our games, I can't think of anyone that could be better than him. A beast attacking and completely unrelenting defending. He's been immense.

Am aware of that but not questioning his qualities at all. Just whether he's up to scratch fitness wise and would Mourinho want to disturb the harmony of the back line. Heck, could even suggest if he's settling in nicely to Mourinho's ideas (though I don't necessarily it's much different from Simeone's).

Azpili on the other hand hasn't been as good as last season, offers literally nothing in our attack (although if memory serves he did took part in one of our goals, but maybe that was during pre-season)... but between a Cesar who hasn't been brilliant and a Luís who hasn't learned how to cope yet, I think Azpili is by far the safer bet, especially in a defense that seems sort of shaky at the moment.

While I agree that Azpi isn't entirely 100% comfortable at going forward from LB, him not going forward at all is surely because of Mourinho. With Ivanovic constantly bombing forward, he wants Azpi to stay back and maintain the solid back line. The license to charge forward is really with the former right now and if you remember last season, Azpi can be alright going forward when allowed to. Still remembered he had some assists and helped us to keep the attack going when he got forward in situations by timing his runs wisely.

How is it not an issue when he has practically hardly played at all this season? Even 2 games in 4 days isn't really going to get his match fitness to 100% or close to it. (and you should know better since you play FM. :P)

It's not an issue because even without any competitive football except 10 mins at Everton, he was fit enough to start twice on successive occasions for one of the world's most high profile NTs against 2 others who gave them a run for their money. He was part of the side that kept clean sheets both times with a comparatively much weaker defensive line (who he's seldom played with before i.e. no harmony) when compared to Chelsea's. I guess I'm trying to say he slotted in very well. With those games and an adequate rest behind him, why should his match fitness not be good enough to take on a decent albeit unspectacular side?

It's not an issue because even without any competitive football except 10 mins at Everton, he was fit enough to start twice on successive occasions for one of the world's most high profile NTs against 2 others who gave them a run for their money. He was part of the side that kept clean sheets both times with a comparatively much weaker defensive line (who he's seldom played with before i.e. no harmony) when compared to Chelsea's. I guess I'm trying to say he slotted in very well. With those games and an adequate rest behind him, why should his match fitness not be good enough to take on a decent albeit unspectacular side?

Playing in two friendly games and competitive matches are two different things altogether. There is nothing to lose on one side while a lot on the other. And about Schalke being unspectacular, sure they aren't a great side but I'm sure most had thought the same about Basel last season and look what happened.

Playing in two friendly games and competitive matches are two different things altogether. There is nothing to lose on one side while a lot on the other. And about Schalke being unspectacular, sure they aren't a great side but I'm sure most had thought the same about Basel last season and look what happened.

Nobody who watched the Colombia game would tell you it was actually played like a friendly.

We lost to Basel ... good thing we're actually playing Schalke, then. We did beat them 3-0 twice, after all. And with a much weaker squad. Thankfully Luis will be playing with Costa, Matic and Fab; not Torres, Mikel and Lampard.

Anyway I think it's best to agree to disagree on this one. I'll quote you when he starts this time next week :D

Nobody who watched the Colombia game would tell you it was actually played like a friendly.

We lost to Basel ... good thing we're actually playing Schalke, then. We did beat them 3-0 twice, after all. And with a much weaker squad. Thankfully Luis will be playing with Costa, Matic and Fab; not Torres, Mikel and Lampard.

Anyway I think it's best to agree to disagree on this one. I'll quote you when he starts this time next week :D

Should even put a bet then. :ph34r:

The CL group stage is the best time to take calculated percentage risks, were need to rotate to keep players fresh, after all we only have 5 senior defenders and after that were down to teenagers, so we can't risk any of them burning out.

If I win, I get to be mod for a day. If not, I don't.

If that is the bet, you would have to ask Jim or Thor. :Goober:

The CL group stage is the best time to take calculated percentage risks, were need to rotate to keep players fresh, after all we only have 5 senior defenders and after that were down to teenagers, so we can't risk any of them burning out.

If we were playing Maribor first, then I would definitely agree with the change but since it's Schalke, I don't think it's best time to take calculated risks until we secure qualification.

The way some people talk you'd think we signed Bosingwa again.

Don't even joke about that :lol:

Although with Torres gone there isn't a single player in our squad worth complaining about, seems to good to be true, i feel like im going cold Turkey :lol:

I don't really understand how playing Luis would be a risk. Luis doesn't need to be eased in neither does he need to play soft games and be protected.

I've read around online with some people even suggesting he wouldn't be able to cope with Nathan Dyer...what? I don't know why and how he's started to develop this reputation as a defensively-weak player and/or potential liability. The way some people talk you'd think we signed Bosingwa again.

It won't. He's been the best LB in the world for a couple years now and has played with a similar defence and playing style in Atletico. The only thing keeping him out is Ivanovic's supreme form and Azpilicueta's defensive resilience.

Don't even joke about that :lol:

Although with Torres gone there isn't a single player in our squad worth complaining about, seems to good to be true, i feel like im going cold Turkey :lol:

Bosingwa was a better CB than he was RB. His performance at Camp Nou didn't go unnoticed, we were using him wrong the whole time :Goober:

It won't. He's been the best LB in the world for a couple years now and has played with a similar defence and playing style in Atletico. The only thing keeping him out is Ivanovic's supreme form and Azpilicueta's defensive resilience.

Very true. Azpi is a brilliant defender, but Luis needs to be given a chance soon because he has the ability to contribute more going forward. I really don't think there would be that much of a drop-off in terms of defensive quality.

The main reason I'm absolutely SURE he'll start against Schalke unless he has a physical issue is because this is a guy who's reached an UCL final last season. He has Europe experience (not saying Azpili doesn't) and football in Europe is NEVER as physical as in England. So it's perfect, he has the experience and the quality and he won't be demanded physically (where he seems to still be struggling to catch up) as he would in the league. I mean, how those two things don't make him the perfect scenario for him to start? Where are the risks that I fail to see? I see advantages actually.

And what defense harmony are we talking about here in the first place? If anything, our defense hasn't been as harmonic as it used to be, we failed in all goals we've conceded this season - except Etoo's in my opinion )although José disagrees about that goal) and we could have conceded two more against Leicester hasn't Thibaut been brilliant. We've changed systems, the defense is still adapting, as well as the midfield, and our players aren't there yet fitness wise. If anything this 'harmony' needs to go away and the consistency from last season to come back (as much as it's possible with the new system in charge - that will undoubtedly affect us defensively to a certain extend).

The more I read Jason's posts about this harmony thing, the less it makes sense for me. And my two points from the previous paragraph stand... So I'll settle for agreeing to disagree.

As much as I appreciate Azpilicueta's performances at LB, when Luis cements his place at LB I really think we are going to see how much of an improvement he adds in that position. Especially going forward. His defensive game is very solid as well.