Unpopular Football Opinions

Shane

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I should point out that I over-exagerrated 'many' flaws, but this is the unpopular oninion thread. I am just bemused by people picking him for the World XIs etc based on this season so far. I suppose that is my reaction to people building him up to this infallible titan at the back of the City defence.

I think he is a defensive liability at times, whilst he has games where he looks imperious at the back (as Luiz does), I think he gets carried away, though not as badly as Luiz. I have watched a lot of him this season and I think he rushes out too much. No doubt, he is probably the most talented CB in the league but I have always been of the opinion that especially for defensive players consistency>talent ceiling. Same reason why I'd be happy to accept any 35m+ offer for Luiz (unless, somehow, Jose could get him to play consistently well @ CB/DM). This is not a Luiz thread so I will stop my digression there.

I am judging him by high standards because he is a top player and I see some people putting him in their 'World XIs' which is just wrong based on this season. I am not American and nor do I have the time, so I will not reel off a wave of stats of questionable veracity and utility about tackles or whatever else people use to prove players' credentials. I am just making my observations about how he plays, and he's not all that, in my - granted - unpopular opinion.

Fair enough, thought you didn't rate him as a player at all. I can see where you're coming from, and he hasn't looked that great this season, but people are putting him in their world XI because of what he did last season and the season before especially, when City won the title.

Also, Pellegrini's tactics is exposing City's CBs a lot more so obviously he's going to make more mistakes, it's inevitable, same way we look weak at the back without a proper pivot, is the same way Kompany is getting exposed now especially considering they basically have one man in the pivot (Fernandinho) since Toure has been given freedom to attack more than defend.

Fair enough, thought you didn't rate him as a player at all. I can see where you're coming from, and he hasn't looked that great this season, but people are putting him in their world XI because of what he did last season and the season before especially, when City won the title.

Also, Pellegrini's tactics is exposing City's CBs a lot more so obviously he's going to make more mistakes, it's inevitable, same way we look weak at the back without a proper pivot, is the same way Kompany is getting exposed now especially considering they basically have one man in the pivot (Fernandinho) since Toure has been given freedom to attack more than defend.

Yeah, I did consider this.

____

I do rate him very highly but to be honest, I just wanted to have a whinge given I had to wake up at 5.30 and saw on twitter people posting about Kompany as if he were Baresi!

Yaya Toure is criminally over rated. Thought this before Monday night

The EPL and the role at he plays at City are tailor made for him. Not to say that he's not good, but I think anywhere else and he'd struggle very much to replicate his performances for City. Even with his NT, he's always been rather average.

This is, probably, my favourite Chelsea goal ever, in terms of beauty, but I've always had a doubt regarding Drogba's possition there. Isn't him offside?.

Unpopular football opinion: the atmosphere on the Premier League stadiums is depressing.

I don't get the hype with that goal, Lampard clearly didn't mean to flick it to Drogba, he tried passing it back to Deco... knowing that it kind of ruins it for me. It's like the Bergkamp goal vs Newcastle, if he meant that than one of the best goals ever, if not, it's still good but lucky and ruins it's appeal.. In my opinion the Arsenal goal (against Norwich) is 10x better, the 1-2 passing is out of the world, Barcelona-esque.

Also about the atmosphere, it's funny, i'm the exact opposite. I love the PL atmosphere, when i watch Serie A or La Liga it just doesn't match imo. Maybe because i grew up with English football, who knows.

Agree with all of them, except maybe Hummels and Negredo.

Another unpopular opinion, Everton will win the UCL in the next 5 years. :ph34r:

Whats your thinking behind that? I doubt they will even make the Group stage in the next 5 years.

Yaya Toure is criminally over rated. Thought this before Monday night

He plays like Lampard last season - always going forward and doesn't care what happens behind him.

City don't stand a chance against the best teams if it's only Fernandinho protecting the defence.

This won't be unpopular with this forum but will be for the football world in general.

The "Anfield atmosphere" is the most over rated thing i have ever heard, unless they are playing United or a CL big game the place is like a libary, infact for routine league games i would go as far as saying its not much better than The Emirates.

I don't get the hype with that goal, Lampard clearly didn't mean to flick it to Drogba, he tried passing it back to Deco... knowing that it kind of ruins it for me. It's like the Bergkamp goal vs Newcastle, if he meant that than one of the best goals ever, if not, it's still good but lucky and ruins it's appeal.. In my opinion the Arsenal goal (against Norwich) is 10x better, the 1-2 passing is out of the world, Barcelona-esque.

Also about the atmosphere, it's funny, i'm the exact opposite. I love the PL atmosphere, when i watch Serie A or La Liga it just doesn't match imo. Maybe because i grew up with English football, who knows.

How do you know they didn't mean it?

This won't be unpopular with this forum but will be for the football world in general.

The "Anfield atmosphere" is the most over rated thing i have ever heard, unless they are playing United or a CL big game the place is like a libary, infact for routine league games i would go as far as saying its not much better than The Emirates.

To be fair, Anfield is only overated by the English...

If you ask what the top 10 loudest/craziest stadiums for anyone outside England, I bet Anfield would not make the vast majority of the lists!