Demba Ba

KonohasOrangeFlash

I think Ba is a player who strives on being his teams umber one. He likes to be on the end of all the attacks. He can not do that here at Chelsea because he can not be the star striker here, and therefor, I really doubt he would be able to replicate his current form with us.

Yep, and he's always looking for the next step up. He's already named PSG as a club he'd like to feature for.

• 2 months later...

Chelsea may not have to look outside of the league to find a competent forward. They have one nipping at their heels right now.

Demba Ba is having a breakout year at Newcastle. The Sengal international has bettered any Chelsea player with 16 goals in the league, and at 26 years old, offers a potential replacement to the ever-aging Didier Drogba.

Ba has been rumored to be around a value of £7 million, a bargain considering his pure poaching abilities. Chelsea are in desperate need of a forward who can simply find the net.

However, Ba has dismissed any intentions of leaving Tyneside:

"I am happy with Newcastle, and I enjoy being here and playing for the Toon Army. I enjoy being on this team."

While Ba may be saying all the right things now, it could be difficult to ignore the kind of money that could be coming his way in a move to the south. It also could be Chelsea’s best bargain given the immediate need they have for a goal scorer.

• 1 month later...

Some rumours starting to stir that we have enquired to Demba Ba's agent about joining us this summer. Apparently he has a release clause this summer of around £7m (of which he gets a 50% cut apparently!!!), and has intimated to Newcastle that he wants to leave. He hasn't adjusted to life in the north having enjoyed his time in London with West Ham and is also unhappy at being played out of position on the left.

Now for me this would be excellent business from Chelsea's perspective. He is 26, which is an age where you would hope to get good years and still a resale value on him, but not too young to be able to slot straight into the team. He isn't as big a personality as Drogba, which will hopefully allow for Torres to flourish as our 'main man' but with genuine quality back up pushing him to perform.

People will look at his goalscoring record in the second half of the season and perhaps use it as evidence to not pursue him. However he has been playing out of position on the left wing, doing a job for the team. When played as a striker in the first half of the season (as a lone front man much of the time) he was banging in goals for fun and put Newcastle in the position which allowed them to push on.

Talk of Falcao, Cavani, etc is great, but if we're looking to rebuild the squad without spending lavishly, this man is a bargain.

He'd be a great buy for the league and for various cup ties, but I dont know how well he's cut out for big time European matches?

The thing I most like about him (and Papis Cisse for that matter) is his ability to snatch goals from relatively nothing. He doesn't need great chances and great delivery to score goals.

It would be a very shrewd bit of business for Chelsea. If Ba is willing to be the second man in the rotation, I'd love to see him at The Bridge.

I'd be more worried about his knees than his recent form in front of goal. Bargain none the less though

Yeah but he has played nearly every game this season for newcastle. With torres here we wouldn't have to heavily rely on either hopefully allowing both to keep fresh and not overdo it. We should be able to get at least 2-3 years out of him at a hood level before selling him on before his knees degenerate further.

By then lukaku should be ready to step up with a season or two out on loan with regular first team football.

I think Ba would be a good signing we wouldnt need to spend loads to get him and im sure he will start firing the goals in with him alongside torres , and as others have said he isnt too big a character as drogba is so maybe torres and ba can play alongside each other. I just feel a bit that when torres and drogba play together , torres is to keen to impress drogba or outdo and what then happens is he gets nervous isnt relaxed loses the ball and has a awful first touch.

Id rather get Ba than overspend on the likes of Cavani or Falcao

Some rumours starting to stir that we have enquired to Demba Ba's agent about joining us this summer. Apparently he has a release clause this summer of around £7m (of which he gets a 50% cut apparently!!!), and has intimated to Newcastle that he wants to leave. He hasn't adjusted to life in the north having enjoyed his time in London with West Ham and is also unhappy at being played out of position on the left.

Now for me this would be excellent business from Chelsea's perspective. He is 26, which is an age where you would hope to get good years and still a resale value on him, but not too young to be able to slot straight into the team. He isn't as big a personality as Drogba, which will hopefully allow for Torres to flourish as our 'main man' but with genuine quality back up pushing him to perform.

People will look at his goalscoring record in the second half of the season and perhaps use it as evidence to not pursue him. However he has been playing out of position on the left wing, doing a job for the team. When played as a striker in the first half of the season (as a lone front man much of the time) he was banging in goals for fun and put Newcastle in the position which allowed them to push on.

Talk of Falcao, Cavani, etc is great, but if we're looking to rebuild the squad without spending lavishly, this man is a bargain.

If Ba wants to leave because he is getting played out of position don't you think he'd want to leave us for not playing him at all? Why would he want to come here to be backup?

Don't want Demba Ba. I'd rather see Chelsea invest more cash and bring in someone with a bright future...eg. Jovetic.

The whole point is though that we can't expect millions upon millions to be spent. If the club are to bring 4, 5, 6 players in this summer they can't all be £15-25m players. We may make 1 or 2 big money signings like hulk but the rest need to be shrewd buys for less money.

The whole point is though that we can't expect millions upon millions to be spent. If the club are to bring 4, 5, 6 players in this summer they can't all be £15-25m players. We may make 1 or 2 big money signings like hulk but the rest need to be shrewd buys for less money.

2 big name signings:

Jovetic/Hulk/Ayew

Van Der Wiel/Azpi for RB.

Then..you make the shrewd buys for less money.

Doesn't he have a degenerative knee disease? I hear about it all the time.

Ba's presently manageable, degenerative knee condition – the striker has what Newcastle's manager, Alan Pardew, describes as "a deficiency" in the joint which prompted consultants to advise Stuttgart and Stoke City to pull out of proposed £7m moves to sign him from Hoffenheim – now appears the sole barrier to the striker enjoying a highly lucrative future on Tyneside or elsewhere.

Although Newcastle decline to discuss the matter it is thought they are keen to offer Ba a new deal. The striker's current agreement sees a significant percentage of his wages delivered on a pay-as-you-play basis. This is a legacy of his current contract having reportedly being redrafted after what Pardew described as "issues with his medical".

Source: The Guardian.