AVB claims some credit for CL win

skeeo

lol, this is the same Kalou who was used in pretty much every single match by RDM as he could provide a lot of help to the defense. That was the only reason he was getting any appearances at all.

Look, I'm not trying to justify every single thing the man did. I know he made plenty of mistakes and even though I supported him 100% when he was our manager, I have realised and understood what others were talking about. I definitely agree with a lot of points BluesMaster makes regarding his kamikaze attacking naivety and so on, but blaming him for subbing Kalou on.......... :fainthv9:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he does deserve credit actually.

Without him being such a crap manager with us and benching Lampard, as one example, I doubt Lampard would have felt frustrated and like he had something to prove in the games vs. Napoli (home), both Barcelona games and the Bayern final, where I personally believe he played outstanding.

I think he does deserve credit actually.

Without him being such a crap manager with us and benching Lampard, as one example, I doubt Lampard would have felt frustrated and like he had something to prove in the games vs. Napoli (home), both Barcelona games and the Bayern final, where I personally believe he played outstanding.

Lampard would have played outstanding in those matches every time. He is fucking Frank Lampard, guys putting more effort to match just because his previous performance was shit compared to his standarts.

He played brilliantly just because he is Super Frank, not because he was benched. No one would belive this if there weren't media creating bullshit about Lampard's revolt. Biggest profesional in football world and yet people still may belive he sacked Boas ( I am not saying this is your case, just to asure you )

lol, this is the same Kalou who was used in pretty much every single match by RDM as he could provide a lot of help to the defense. That was the only reason he was getting any appearances at all.

Look, I'm not trying to justify every single thing the man did. I know he made plenty of mistakes and even though I supported him 100% when he was our manager, I have realised and understood what others were talking about. I definitely agree with a lot of points BluesMaster makes regarding his kamikaze attacking naivety and so on, but blaming him for subbing Kalou on.......... :fainthv9:

:wub:

Yes at times the tactics did appear strange but you have to put it into context. Roman Abramovich paid a world record fee to bring him to Chelsea to play a certain style of football, that's a fact. AVB will have been fully aware of Roman's ambition for beautiful football at Chelsea from their meetings, Roman will have given AVB his vision for the club and AVB was given the job of implementing that vision. This is what led to games like the 5-3 loss to Arsenal, AVB felt the need to play an open, attractive style of football because that is what he was brought to the club to do and because that is his football philosophy, unfortunately we didn't have the players to play that way.

I also believe AVB would have been disappointed with his squad when the transfer window shut. He got Mata and Romeu, two players who suited his type of football, but they were never going to be enough to instigate a full overhaul of the playing style. It was an odd match from the start, a manager with an open, attractive philosophy brought to the club by an owner wanting him to implement that but with a squad of players who were just incapable of playing such a way. It was a battle of two entirely different philosophies and it had disastrous consequences on the pitch.

Did Villas Boas make mistakes along the way? Sure, his man management certainly could have been better but I also dont think he approved of the player power at Chelsea and wasn't entirely sold on Lampard as a long term feature in his plans.

Had Villas Boas had a squad without Drogba, Bosingwa, Kalou and had a squad with Hazard, Marin and Oscar (hopefully) then his chances of succeeding at Chelsea would have increased hugely. I believe he is a quality manager, tactically terrific and plays the game the right way but at Chelsea he was entrenched in a catch 22, he wanted and was told to play beautiful football but the players were unable to do that, while the squad were far more comfortable reverting back to their physical style but neither the coach nor the owner wanted that.

I can't understand how this is even debatable. He was our manager for most of the season and was behind the signing of players that were key in winning the trophies like Mata and Cahill. Of course he deserves some of the credit.

AVB needs to shut his mouth. I thought he was annoying as our manager - as Spurs manager he's proving to be an even bigger loudmouth than I originally thought. He is quite obviously trying to replicate Mourinho's trademark arrogance, but he lacks the cheek and the charisma to pull it off. Mourinho is, in effect, constantly trolling the average football reporter. Villas-Boas is also trolling with a quite poor impression of his mentor, and its frankly embarrassing. What he is suggesting, is that Scolari should also be given a winner's medal for the 2009 FA Cup win. And, by extension, since this is also mainly Ancelotti's squad, he should be getting a Champions League medal too, etc. etc. What a tool the man is.

AVB needs to shut his mouth. I thought he was annoying as our manager - as Spurs manager he's proving to be an even bigger loudmouth than I originally thought. He is quite obviously trying to replicate Mourinho's trademark arrogance, but he lacks the cheek and the charisma to pull it off. Mourinho is, in effect, constantly trolling the average football reporter. Villas-Boas is also trolling with a quite poor impression of his mentor, and its frankly embarrassing. What he is suggesting, is that Scolari should also be given a winner's medal for the 2009 FA Cup win. And, by extension, since this is also mainly Ancelotti's squad, he should be getting a Champions League medal too, etc. etc. What a tool the man is.

Agree on that poit about Mourinho's trademark arrogance. Brilliant point BlueLion

He is a glorified scout.

A poor man's José.

He is Mata's uncle.

Naïve Villas-Boas.

He has Alonso's beard in red.

AVB has ADD on the touchline.

Journalists aren't his friend.

DVD.

Stubborness andarrogance in Spades.

He likes wine and to whine.

Anything I missed?

He is a glorified scout.

A poor man's José.

He is Mata's uncle.

Naïve Villas-Boas.

He has Alonso's beard in red.

AVB has ADD on the touchline.

Journalists aren't his friend.

DVD.

Stubborness andarrogance in Spades.

He likes wine and to whine.

Anything I missed?

That's just bitter.

The only reasons he is likened to Mourinho is because he worked for Mourinho and is Portugese. In reality his football philosophy is completely different to that of Mourinho's.

I suppose they do look alike.

I dont think he is naive at all, for reasons I pointed out in my earlier post on this thread.

Yes.

I dont see why a manager cant be animated on the touchline, look at Guardiola on the touchline.

One of the main reasons things went so badly at Chelsea, he didn't get all pally with the English media, as they expect you to, and so he was cast as a villain.

DVD's are an important part of modern football, Pep Guardiola made great use of DVD's to scout the opposition and also inspirational DVD's to show his players before games.

I dont think he was necessarily stubborn, he was brought in on the back of a world record fee to implement a certain kind of football, that was his job. I dont think he is overly arrogant either, confident yes.

What manager doesn't have the occasional moan?

i agree that he deserves credit. but it`s marginal.and agree with him that it`s not down to one man.his high line didnt work for us but i do believe the fact that several players quitting on him and for a while the honour of the badge should take some blame too.

the credit i give him in helping us win is that he kept some of our better players fresh for the end of the season.