Formation and Tactics Discussion

Spike

As CHOULO19 has said, it's more to do with AVB's style of play with the 4-3-3 rather than the formation itself. Regarding that 4-3-3, I was thinking more along the possibility of having Marin and Hazard playing as the wingers considering that Mata won't be available for us for awhile. Only problem is Torres. Not the type of physical and imposing striker that can hold up the ball and bring others into play.

Mikel (and arguably most of our players) did not fit AVB's tactics not the formation. I agree with the Mata part though.

That is why I wrote 'he didn't fit into AVB's idea of a 4-3-3'!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-4-2 doesn't necessarily have to keep 2 strikers far up the pitch. One striker can come deep and move around the pitch like a Rooney, Tevez figure. Even Torres did most of his best work a bit deeper last season with the ball creating chances and dribbling through defences. It could almost be like a 4-4-1-1. There's a lot more variation in a 4-4-2 than any other formation, it can be modified easily. 4-4-2 = 4-4-1-1 = 4-2-3-1. I like 4-4-2 anyway.

4-4-2 doesn't necessarily have to keep 2 strikers far up the pitch. One striker can come deep and move around the pitch like a Rooney, Tevez figure. Even Torres did most of his best work a bit deeper last season with the ball creating chances and dribbling through defences. It could almost be like a 4-4-1-1. There's a lot more variation in a 4-4-2 than any other formation, it can be modified easily. 4-4-2 = 4-4-1-1 = 4-2-3-1. I like 4-4-2 anyway.

Completely agree. It also means that the 2 in midfield don't often join in attack. Rather they stay behind and dictate play from the deep, setting up the wingers and full-backs. The end result is you'll have more attackers around the opposition area than a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1

• 3 weeks later...

And before anyone gets angry, this isn't any kneejerk thread or any anger towards any previous matches.

Do you think we should keep this formation or change it?, i think we should change it. With our current players we cannot hold a good double pivot.

Lampard-Mikel not good enough, that will cause problems. Any other alternate decisions are still not good enough, probably our best one is...

Ramires-Mikel, still for me this isn't good enough but probably our best one.

Maybe it's time to change to a 4-3-3?.

Hazard-Torres-Marin

Mata/Oscar-Ramires

Mikel

Cole-Terry-Luiz-Ivanovic

Cech

I think we need to change the system and with our current players possibly our best line up there. But i think we definitely need a new DM, and you've heard it before from me i want Tiote. And people disagree and think Mikels good enough, fair enough if that's what you think.

But what do you think about 4-2-3-1?, is it wise to keep this formation?, or should we revert to 4-3-3?, or any different formation.

And before anyone gets angry, this isn't any kneejerk thread or any anger towards any previous matches.

Do you think we should keep this formation or change it?, i think we should change it. With our current players we cannot hold a good double pivot.

Lampard-Mikel not good enough, that will cause problems. Any other alternate decisions are still not good enough, probably our best one is...

Ramires-Mikel, still for me this isn't good enough but probably our best one.

Maybe it's time to change to a 4-3-3?.

Hazard-Torres-Marin

Mata/Oscar-Ramires

Mikel

Cole-Terry-Luiz-Ivanovic

Cech

I think we need to change the system and with our current players possibly our best line up there. But i think we definitely need a new DM, and you've heard it before from me i want Tiote. And people disagree and think Mikels good enough, fair enough if that's what you think.

But what do you think about 4-2-3-1?, is it wise to keep this formation?, or should we revert to 4-3-3?, or any different formation.

Hazard-Torres-Marin

Mata/Oscar-Ramires

Mikel

Cole-Terry-Luiz-Ivanovic

Cech

That's is 4-2-3-1 because mata/oscar will play in the hole

As long as we play with a no 10, we will play 4-2-3-1

Basically if we can get the double pivot sorted out we should be ok and a new striker (Lewandowski please......... :P) Oh and a right back, personally think Maicon would be better at RB than Branna simply because he has pace and is able to take people on when in advanced positions plus he is quick enough to recover when we loose the ball unlike Branna where he has been clearly caught out in pre-season. So what if its pre-season, we've got to be critical still!

I actually think it could well be time, to try out a 4-3-3, i don't think it will happen and we have had a completely full squad to try out the 4-2-3-1, with several attacking players missing, but i haven't been too impressed with Lampard Mikel either, but it is too soon to be definitate about it. Main advantage of the 4-3-3 is that it will suit a player like oscar as well as ramires which could well be good... Still could have similar problems, but there would be less of a strain on one DM.

Now whether we will change, i highly doubt, i think in theory the 4-2-3-1 looks ideal, and it may be hard to change it fully with only one preseason game left...

Hazard-Torres-Marin

Mata/Oscar-Ramires

Mikel

Cole-Terry-Luiz-Ivanovic

Cech

That's is 4-2-3-1 because mata/oscar will play in the hole

As long as we play with a no 10, we will play 4-2-3-1

It isn't.

I discussed this in my new season thread, Mata can adapt into midfield ,more work rate more deeper. Obviously he's a free roam player but he can do it. Oscar even better for it in my opinion.

Where as 4-2-3-1 is 3 attackers, 3 midfielders would be much more suitable, because getting dominated in midfield is what could be our true weakness by buying all these attackers.

People keep saying "let's play 4-3-3 with Mata/Oscar more forward than the other 2 midfielders" and it's terribly annoying. If you look at that alignment, it's the same fucking thing as a 4-2-3-1, except the wingers are pushed up a little higher, yet they would still be responsible for dropping back and playing defense. It's...the..same...thing.

I'd personally love for us to adopt a Brazil-like (or Arsenal-like) 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-2-1-3/whatever you want to call it.

It would get the best out of Oscar I assume, but unfortunately it would probably make Mata less prominent over on the left wing.

The 'double pivot' would then be altered slightly. Instead of having 2 defensive minded midfielders, we could go with 1 defensive + 1 box-to-box, or anything really.

I actually think it could well be time, to try out a 4-3-3, i don't think it will happen and we have had a completely full squad to try out the 4-2-3-1, with several attacking players missing, but i haven't been too impressed with Lampard Mikel either, but it is too soon to be definitate about it. Main advantage of the 4-3-3 is that it will suit a player like oscar as well as ramires which could well be good... Still could have similar problems, but there would be less of a strain on one DM.

Now whether we will change, i highly doubt, i think in theory the 4-2-3-1 looks ideal, and it may be hard to change it fully with only one preseason game left...

It looks better because of the attack options we have definitley. But the double pivot looks a huge weakness it really does. And Cahill is still a new player, yes he has had a great 6 months and won two big trophies but he's still a new player and needs to get fully used to the whole team on a consistent basis.

I think it would be wise to get a DM, i think Ramires can play it however, he's also a very good alternate midfielder in the 4-3-3 (one of the best may i add).

People keep saying "let's play 4-3-3 with Mata/Oscar more forward than the other 2 midfielders" and it's terribly annoying. If you look at that alignment, it's the same fucking thing as a 4-2-3-1, except the wingers are pushed up a little higher, yet they would still be responsible for dropping back and playing defense. It's...the..same...thing.

It isn't, no more stupid posts like this please. There's a difference. Mata and Oscar play deeper, and we rotate with the two midfielders who go forward, Ramires is good at going forward so let him have a go. It's a big difference, an extra attacker or an extra midfielder?, i would choose the 2nd option. Mata can convert to a midfielder, he wont be so much on free roam but he can do it with work rate. Look at David Silva, he even covers Yaya Toure and plays DM. Mata can do it too, just let him go at it.

no. don't be fooled by a poor pre season. we played mereiles as a no 10 for god's sake and lukaku was our main striker all pre season long. these are not players who will feature next season for our team. not crucially anyway.

when mata, oscar, sturridge comes back- you will notice the difference in pace and movement.