Slight tweaking or overhaul?

milllz

slight tweak or overhaul?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. slight tweak or overhaul?

in the summer theres obviously going to be changes, the possibility of carlo being sacked and with the number of players on the wrong side of 30. but do you think we need slight changes in the team i.e. a few players in, a few out and experimenting with different formations OR big big changes spending fortunes and getting rid of a good number of players and maybe a new manager?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need an overhaul, but I'm not sure we'll get one.

We don't need an overhaul. We need 3/4/5 changes. Probably two within the starting 11.

I think the majority of us would settle for two out and two consistently effective wingers, in the mould of Robben and Duff, coming in.

We don't need an overhaul. We need 3/4/5 changes. Probably two within the starting 11.

I think the majority of us would settle for two out and two consistently effective wingers, in the mould of Robben and Duff, coming in.

I'd certainly be happy with that. I define an overhaul as 5/6 changes, not 20.

Agreed completely.

more than 3 or 4 first team change will disturb the team cohesion. by an overhaul we might have a great squad but i am not sure whether we can form a great team. 2 wingers and one creative attacking mid will do good for us. not sure about RB.

I'd certainly be happy with that. I define an overhaul as 5/6 changes, not 20.

I'd define an overhaul as 10. I honestly can't name 6 that I'd be happy releasing.

Bosingwa and Ferreira for me are the only certs of the outfield lot. Anelka and Malouda probably, due to their age, though i'd be inclined to keep Nic for another year. Zhirkov and/or Kalou are probably on most people's lists too, though I think theres more potential there than we are seeing so I'd personally keep them. Turnbull and Hilario must be considered for me too.

The two names that come up for me to come in, though both are unrealistic. Xabi Alonso and Robben. I think we need a real passer in the team. Someone to dictate our play. At the moment, our midfield is ridiculously predictable - just short passes back and forward with the full backs. Theres plenty of options out there that can play the role but I think Alonso could be brilliant for us, not just for Nando. He'd give us so much more in that role than Essien is currently. Though it might limit Josh getting opportunities. As for Robben, I don't need to make a case for him. Pure quality.

Not a complete overhaul, but 1 winger, 1 right back and 1 good playmaker. We also need to count on players like Kakuta, Sturridge, Josh, Bruma, PVA and Bertrand to get their chances to.

I'd like us to stick to 4-3-3, so perhaps another winger depending on who goes and stays. Sanchez, Mata, Hazard and Neymar are my candidates.

As for departures, I'd say Malouda, Zhirkov, Bosingwa, PF ( perhaps ), and Anelka maybe.

i really dont want to make it a wish list thread but our mid field can be rejuvenated if player like sniejder can come. As david mentioned Xabi can also be an ideal option .

I think we'd be better off with a defensive minded play maker rather than an offensive one like Sneijder. Our front third already gets congested enough with the opposition sticking 9 behind the ball. Hence probably why Carlo plays Josh further back than a lot of us first thought. Quick, skillful wingers with an Alonso type player to provide them and Torres would be superb.

Bit of both, right back to replace bosingwa, a striker to replace Drogba if the club get rid and imho a couple of wingers one left one right, bring back 442 with wingers either side.

Names? well at right back id want lahm if it were possible to get him striker may as well go with neymar as the little ive seen he looks very tidy and would necessitate a different style of play from our midfield, wingers id go for two premiership tested buys, id go for adam johnson at city and chong-yung lee at bolton, good wingers with a end product who could make the step up.

I think we'd be better off with a defensive minded play maker rather than an offensive one like Sneijder. Our front third already gets congested enough with the opposition sticking 9 behind the ball. Hence probably why Carlo plays Josh further back than a lot of us first thought. Quick, skillful wingers with an Alonso type player to provide them and Torres would be superb.

You made a good point about Robben, one that I've mentioned on another thread but we do need an offensive playmaker which can make that space, that opens up games with vision & creativity. The problems we have at home & even away are because sides won't attack us, therefore putting 10 men behind the ball, this happens all the time & we don't need to play with 4 at the back & with 1 or 2 DM's. We need to play with a back 3 & attacking fullbacks & getting players further up the pitch to get that 1st goal in order to get teams to come out. Not saying this formation for every game but for ones when sides won't come out offensively.

I chose overhaul, because we need 3-4 new players and also release/sell a few aswell. I'm sure Sturridge will be given a chance so that's CF sorted with Drogba,Torres, Sturridge. We need a left winger and a right winger because let's be honest Malouda is too inconsistent and Anelka has all the potential in the world but doesn't use it, also the age factor, might question his motivation. A right back perhaps, depending what the situation is with Bosingwa and his form. And a playmaker.

OUT:

1. Hilario (age, I think a reserve keeper can cover 3rd GK spot)
  2. Anelka (age, could question his motivation, not consistent enough, big game bottler)
  3. Malouda (age, has no stability in his play anymore, woeful all season, only a few Chelsea standard games)
  4. Ferreira (age, doubt he has the time to make a rejuvenating impact now)
  5. Bosingwa (unless he kick starts his season)
  6. Zhirkov (he hasn't made much since arriving two years ago, except that Spartak goal and earning us 2-3 penalties, would expect more of an impact from a winger/wing back)

IN:

1. playmaker (Hamsik?)
  2. right back (Gregory van der Wiel?)
  3. left winger (Neymar?)
  4. right winger (Alexis Sanchez? or Neymar? (transfermarkt.co.uk says Neymar can play CF, RWF, LWF and good with both legs, ideal option in my eyes)

Give our own youngsters a chance:

1. Daniel Sturridge
  2. Josh McEachran
  3. Patrick van Aanholt
  4. Gael Kakuta (if he finds his stability)

Management:

1. Carlo Ancelotti (we need stability and he is the best option we have, deserves at least another season)
  2. New sporting director (Frank Arnesen going to join HSV in the summer)
  3. New assistant coach? (I don't know about this one, I believe Emenalo hasn't been anywhere as helpful/supportive to Ancelotti as Wilkins was)

Don't we have like 5 or 6 of these threads now? :lol:

I think tweaking. Young, experienced, players would be nice, to mix with the older players. We shouldn't be like Arsenal and throw a whole load of young players in, we should be liked Dalglish's (Clarke's) Liverpool.. Mix the young with old.