Bench Torres for the rest of the season...

Henri

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drogba + Anelka is the best partnership we have. Even when he hasn't been scoring goals, Drogba is the only one who's looked like making some plays for the team (and himself).

And Torres' had enough chances to score at least once. He's off form unfortunately and we can't afford to keep giving such players important minutes even if he's a world class player like Torres. Lamps and Essiens are also completely off or more likely have declined, and I want to see Mikel again tbh.

Yeah but the question then becomes, do we actually believe him?

Roman won't mind him benching Torres, with the hope of an early substitute appearance or hope of a start in the following game. But a bench position for the rest of the season? I just don't think Roman would appreciate £50million just sitting there, especially since someone like Torres needs an arm around his shoulder most the time.

I hope Carlo's right though!

Didier, Nico and Malouda are professional footballers, the very least you'd expect from them is to work even harder to try and work alongside Nando, not sulk and cry about it. Nando needs as much time on the pitch with the other lads as possible to start developing chemistry.

No. Just no. This is Torres' 'settling in period' - we have to play him as much as possible. We saw this with Anelka in 07/08; he scored 25 goals in the first full season but only two in the five months before that.

So what are we going to tell torres then ? Your being penalized Torres because your the future ? Also Torres is the short term future he will not play beyond 31 in my opinion, he started very early and he has had some of the worst injury runs i have seen. He will end up like Micheal Owen when he loses his pace he will be completely useless to us. The future of this club is that young striker who bagged 2 goals today for Bolton what his name ?

or at least don`t let him start in for the rest of the season. Don`t get me wrong i like Torres, he is or was one of the best strikers to set foot on this

planet. But how stupid does Abramovich/Carlo think Drogba and Anelka or even Malouda are?. Look at them play and the answer is clear, they know

that Nando is the future and they are the past, and how would you have reacted?. I blame Abramovich for not waiting for the summer break to buy Torres,

out of respect for them. Together Drogba and Anelka can perform at least some times, but they will never connect with Torres. So why keep on frustrating

him and them until the end of the season?, because he won`t score before you build a team up around him. This story tells a lot why often january transfer

ain`t no good.

I understand where you're coming from. Torres' arrival in the January window was unfortunate timing in several ways; we were going through a slump, our strikers were misfiring (as well as some other key players in the squad), Torres himself was not in form. It was always going to take a while for all the dust to settle but the pressure was on from the get go. Then the forwards got greedy, everyone trying to force himself out of a bad run and in so doing, playing rather selfishly. I think it's fair to say they felt threatened by his arrival. But now Drogba has recently scored, Malouda scored today. Hopefully this will ease the pressure for them and they'll be more inclined towards working more with Torres.

So what are we going to tell torres then ? Your being penalized Torres because your the future ? Also Torres is the short term future he will not play beyond 31 in my opinion, he started very early and he has had some of the worst injury runs i have seen. He will end up like Micheal Owen when he loses his pace he will be completely useless to us. The future of this club is that young striker who bagged 2 goals today for Bolton what his name ?

Torres just turned 27. That leaves a good four to five years of quality we can get from him. Not to mention the other profits the club will make on his name alone in the coming years. I'd say that's enough reason to justify making him a priority at the club in the coming years.

No. Just no. This is Torres' 'settling in period' - we have to play him as much as possible.

Absolutely!! We don't spend £50m on a world class player and bench him because he doesn't deliver.

Benayoun worked really well with him against Wigan in the second half. He didn't score, but he's certainly getting closer and closer!

Just a bollocks thread.

Apart from scoring that illusive goal, he's been excellent and even today he came so fucking close. As Alex said, Anelka had a massive spell without scoring in 07/08. Look at Henry and Bergkamp for Arsenal and look how shit Berbatov was at Man Utd.

This is the crunch part of the season, he could end up scoring 4-5 times and those goals could be fucking golden. Next season, he's winning the golden boot.

Give the guy a break. Benayoun was excellent when he came on btw, almost gave Torres his first goal, no coincidence it was him too.

It's coming. Fine lines.......

He can play this year although the most important thing is to keep the 4-3-3 formation. Drogba should be the No 1 striker this term with Torres filling in him for him if need be. Torres can play on the right of him though and drift in with Malouda on the left.