Playing style

Carlo's tactics were wrong last night. We never looked confident enough with the ball, even though we had a lot of chances which had we taken, things would be a lot different.

What disappointed me to the maximum was that we saw no improvement in terms of tactics or motivation in the second half. We played like we did in the first half, and it's Carlo's fault definitely. He must finally show everyone that he's got the balls to make tactic changes and moves, as our style of football has been boring and disappointing not only last night, but during the whole season. He has got a squad full of world class players, but problem is that he doesn't know how to use them. 4-4-2's not working, 4-3-3 is our formation.

Cech

Ivanovic - Alex - Terry - Cole

Ramires - Mikel - Lampard

Kalou - Drogba - Torres

If Carlo uses that line-up on Tuesday, I would guarantee him that it would work better than his own line-up did last night.

Ivanovic is irreplacable on the right, we don't have a better right back in the team and he's been solid, I have a lot of trust on this player and his great defensive skills never disappoint me.

Alex - even though he still hasn't played after getting back from injury, it doesn't matter. He is a defender and a defender hardly loses his defensive skills when injured, and especially Alex, who's a real beast. Him and Terry in the centre would be a real wall to break for Manure. They seemed to be quite dangerous in croses last night, Chicharito nearly scored twice, and with Alex back in centre, I imagine that we can win in all of our aerial battles.

Lampard isn't the Lampard he was last season, but there is no one in our current squad who can start over him for the game on Tuesday. Benayoun has only played five games for us and it would be way too risky to start him, but as a substitute he's promising.

Mikel is better than Essien on his current form, he's not the same old Bison, makes mistakes and lost his defensive skills.

Kalou, with his quick feet and dribbling abilities can lead us to the goal easily, he often gets a ball from nowhere and creates great scoring opportunities. Drogba has scored in his last game at Old Trafford, why not do it again?

Torres was near to scoring last night, and he has good memories at Old Trafford, having scored twice. Anelka is definitely not an option, he's way to slow and not a real threat for United's defence.

It's definitely not over yet, and United know it very well. They know who they will have to play against, and even though they outplayd us last night, for us there is still time for improvement. Carlo along with the players should re-watch the game over and over again and see what they did wrong in order to improve for the game on Tuesday. It's simplier than it looks. We put a lot of pressure in the first half, score an early goal, then constantly push for a second. It's United who's under pressure not us, I expect us to be the dominating team on Tuesday in terms of offensive play.

Remember when we beat Liverpool 3-1 away at Anfield two years ago. They came to the Bridge with enough confidence to put great pressure from the first minute and score two goals only in the first half, and their situation was twice as bad as ours. They had to score 3 and not concede, we have to score two, even if we concede 1, we're still through.

Nothing is impossible, the ball is round and I'm actually quite confident about the game on Tuesday. The last opportunity for Frank Lampard and John Terry. They can win this game, they can win the Champions League this season. They have to.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't put all the blame on CA though. There's not much he can do about his midfielders not being able to make the easiest of passes.

But if he's truly happy/content with what he is seeing than we have a serious problem at Chelsea Football Club.

I think everyone on here could identify Lamps and Essien being the poorest performers. Shame the man in charge couldn't.

Essien's athleticism is on the wane. The number of times he's been slow to react to situations is worrying. He gets caught in possession, mistimes tackles and can't pick a pass. Lampard is a problem too but I'd keep him in the side simply because there's no better option available. It's a sad state of affairs really. Lampard can be assigned a pure attacking role in a 433 courtesy of having the machine like Ramires alongside and Mikel to sweep any loose balls behind him.

Holding mid isn't his position. He is lost there. He tries to play his box to box game and then leaves so much space behind him. In result he is late with his marking and tackling.. Mikel sits there in the middle. he is perfect for that role..

Edit: I'm not saying that Essien has lost his game..he was great in the start of the season..He showed his athletcisism then..

In all seriousness i think this proves that we need 1 of Mikel, Benayoun and McEachran playing evrey game.

What has happened to Essien this season? in season's gone by his presence alone was inspiring the players around him this season he isnt even inspiring himself. He NEVER lost at Stamford Bridge before the Liverpool game now he has twice. Lampard seems lost i think his role needs to be lessered.

Defence and goallie are fine we just need some boosing up front, last night highlighted the importance already of David Luiz.

Essien must be dropped definitely. John Mikel is better than him, simples.

I wouldont go that far but he is certainly a long way from his best.

To say that our squad is full of world class players is gross overestimation. Except Cech and maybe Ivanovic I doubt any of our players would get into a world XI.

On pitch play is a problem obviously but I think most of us are ignoring he fact that there are huge problems in our mentality / psychological condition. The players are too timid. They're not really focused and there seems to be no resilience or desire to take the game to the opponent. We've essentially turned into flat track bullies - awesome when the situations are to our liking but awful when people get in our faces and don't allow us to play the way we want. It's a shocking change and something very uncharacteristic of the Chelsea I knew over the years.

To say that our squad is full of world class players is gross overestimation. Except Cech and maybe Ivanovic I doubt any of our players would get into a world XI.

Ashley would.

The thing is none of our midfield or forward players currently are even mentioned in a discussion about the best players in the world. That tells it's own story.

Ashley would.

The thing is none of our midfield or forward players currently are even mentioned in a discussion about the best players in the world. That tells it's own story.

Time for new cycle I guess.

Who would you let go of this summer in order to get replacements?

I wouldn't let too many of them out. Maybe just Malouda, Anelka and Fereirra as Esk said.

The most important thing is too add 2-3 players that we really need. Right winger and attacking midfielder are very much needed. Like you pointed out we don't have many options, even if we change formations it's not good

In the modern game it has to be 4-3-3 or 4-5-1.....

Seeing as he have spent 50 million on Torres, we have to build the team around him in a 4-5-1 formation. That would also get the best out of Lampard. As has been said we need a right and left midfielder with Malouda, Drogba and Anelka sold.....

Many more of our players have the ability and should be mentioned amongst the best.

It's just a pure coincidence that all of them are all under performing at the same time have been all season and purely coincidental they've been rubbish all season and stuck in a 'bad moment'. Coincidence that as a team we've looked shit all season too.

With these group of players I can only think of one system we can try..

Cech

Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Mikel

Benayoun - Ramires - Essien - Lampard

Drogba

A good ol' 4-5-1 with a lone striker in the form of Drogba, Torres, Anelka or even Kalou. Since we're weak on the left, playing Lampard there temporarily is the only suitable short term solution. Even playing Kalou on the left and replacing Essien with Lampard could work.

Of course this all look good on paper. But in practice our squad shows they are unable to handle changes in the formation.

p.s. Mikel is vital.

I posted this in the Malouda thread, I'll post it here as well, since it relates to this topic as well.

We should go back to the 4-3-3 with Drogba on the right, cause he can hold up the ball on the right and put in some dangerous crosses and Anelka on the left, since he is pretty good at cutting inside.

But if we stick with the 4-4-2, then maybe it's just me, but I think Malouda can do better than Lampard in the 4-4-2 we're playing right now.

----------------Torres------------------------

---------------------------Anelka-------------

Zhirkov----Malouda----Mikel----Ramires

Cole-------Terry------Alex/Luiz----Ivanovic

----------------------Cech-------------------

I can understand the board's unwillingness to let the managers stamp their own identity to the squad, Carlo requesting Pirlo is a prime example.

The last time they did let a manager do that was with Mourinho by allowing him to bring Carvalho, Deco, Ferreira & Tiago..