4-3-3 musings

Madmax

I can fully understand why some people dislike Mikel because of his languid style. But he isn't the problem as was proven last night.

And I don't think he needs to attack much. It would be great if we had strikers and wingers we could leave the attacking to as opposed to asking our DM to come up with the good.

Nah, I like Mikel.. I think when he's on the ball, his control is probably the best anyone has on the squad, bar McEachran perhaps. His composure and control and Josh's are fairly similar actually.

Fully agree with the last line, but the fact that we don't, is why I'd like to see Mikel make those runs, just as in impulse. We've seen Terry try it, but if Mikel did it he'd be superb, because of that control he has.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah soz second half, should've mentioned that.

I agree - Mikel is the best DM at the club, but imo Essien at DM and Ramires at RCM gives us more than Mikel-Essien.

Mikel-Essien passing is good. But something strange is happening with our players. They are all below par lately.

The problem with Mikel is not that he hasn't got enough defensive abilities.... The problem is that very often (too much) he has to defend lonely against four players...

Yeah, because when Bosingwa or Cole go bombing forward, rarely does Anelka and Malouda track back as cover. As a result Mikel has to cover both of them and just gets crowded out in the end.

Mikel is better than Essien there. He covers fullbacks while Essien tends to go forward and leaves us with two Cbs at the back, or only one if Terry goes wider to the left.

He is better used as box-to-box.

Any thoughts on Essien>Mikel @ DM now?

Not to play a blame game here but Mikel was at fault for the goal by Pavlyuchenko.

The only goal yest really down to Essien was the penalty. The other two conceded by not putting pressure on the opposition man in possession combined with lack of concentration.

Essien brings an extra something to the DM role that Mikel doesn't - case in point : our 3rd goal yest came from his persistence and desire to nip the ball off the Villa defender and swing in a dangerous cross that was cleared unconvincingly to Terry.

Any thoughts on Essien>Mikel @ DM now?

kostas , i thought you know better !!!!!

essien >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mikel @Dm and @CM , being not in top form and making an error doesn't make you worse . it's the same case of comparing kalou with Drogba , Drogba was shit yesterday while kalou was lively does that mean kalou is better ??!!!

The problem is that you need 2 proper, world class wingers to use a 4-3-3 properly. We only have one good winger in our squad and that's Malouda. Kalou is never going to give you a succession of great (or good) performances and Anelka is just a wandering striker who simply cannot play out there.

I would have Malouda and Zhirkov on the wings, rotating like Duff and Robben did for us so well 5 years ago (fuck me, is it that long ago...). Both left footers too, it will confuse so many teams defences. Duff and Robben were instrumental to our first 2 title wins, especially the first one. Malouda and Zhirkov could be just as good and have a similar impact if they are used properly.

Agreed mate, looks a good system. Would require great discipline from either Ramires or Essien, however. But it would give us so much more potency going forward - but only if you put Kalou or Sturridge in for Anelka. Some pace, energy and enthusiasm will help us win matches, as opposed to slow dribbles backwards and forwards.

How about 4-2-3-1?

Cech

Bosingwa Alex Terry Cole

Ramires Essien

Anelka Lampard Malouda

Drogba

Essien and Ramires switch between going forward and dropping back, with Lampard as the main AM.

Tbh mate thats sorta similar to what we already have. In our midfield 3 Lampard is given the most freedom to roam forward and whoever plays on the right hand side of the midfield 3 (Ramires or Essien) is given the more defensive responsibilities to aid the holding midfielder. Also I think that Ancelotti's attempt to employ the diamond last season proved one thing, Lampard is should not be deployed high up the pitch in an AM position, it completely wrecks his late runs into the box which is one of his best traits.

Personally I like the look of the midfield 3 of

Essien

Ramires, Lampard

However I think the really big flaw we have at the moment (aside from the obvious need for another centre back) is that our wingers rarely go past people, for this Im looking more at Nic Anelka than Florent Malouda. When he comes inside (and deep at the same time) it makes our team so narrow and thus so easy to defend against. I would love to see us bring in an out and out winger in january, somebody who will keep the width, somebody who is actually a winger and somebody who can dribble past a player because that would be an entirely new dimension to our team.

The problem is that you need 2 proper, world class wingers to use a 4-3-3 properly. We only have one good winger in our squad and that's Malouda. Kalou is never going to give you a succession of great (or good) performances and Anelka is just a wandering striker who simply cannot play out there.

I would have Malouda and Zhirkov on the wings, rotating like Duff and Robben did for us so well 5 years ago (fuck me, is it that long ago...). Both left footers too, it will confuse so many teams defences. Duff and Robben were instrumental to our first 2 title wins, especially the first one. Malouda and Zhirkov could be just as good and have a similar impact if they are used properly.

Ollie you have hit the nail on the head that is exactly what we need Zhirkov has a very good turn of pace and Malouda has a bit of pace too with a lot of intelligence. That is exactly what we need buzzing around Drogba !

How about 4-2-3-1?

Cech

Bosingwa Alex Terry Cole

Ramires Essien

Anelka Lampard Malouda

Drogba

If you're talking about 2 holding midfield players, then you have to slot in Mikel for Ramires/Essien. Mikel's been the most solid player this season, everyone was singing his praises in October, everyone saying how brilliant he was, and now everyone's writing him off? Mikel is a better defensive midfielder than Ramires is. Essien is looking shaky back there, he's making rash tackles and give away reckless free kicks (which cost us), he's ill disciplined as of late.

Also I'd say take out Anelka, because he doesn't know a thing about sticking to his position. I'd say switch Malouda to the right flank and bring in Zhirkov on the left. Or even play Kakuta instead of Anelka.

Yeah! Exactly what I've recommended. It just can not work having Anelka play wide any more, he used be good there but things have changed. Until we invest in a proper winger, who can play primarily on the right, Malouda should take up that flank.