Squad numbers for youngsters

BlueLion.

Chelsea FC have today confirmed the squad numbers of four more academy players who will be involved with the first team this season.

Billy Clifford and Jacob Mellis - two players who Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed will be on the bench for tomorrow's game against Newcastle - have been given the numbers 47 and 52 respectively.

Additionally, young goalkeeper Sam Walker has been given the number 54, and he is joined by Czech custodian Jan Sebek, who takes the number 61 shirt.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see Mellis have sometime in the Carling Cup this season, and i hope that we use more youngsters then last year in the Competition.

Nice to see Walker been given a number, i think it is fantastic the way Carlo actually uses the youth, but i hope he does give them more time on the pitch this season.

Where has this information about squad numbers and confirmation of them being on the bench come from? I have not seen it anywhere....

Would be good if true, it is good that we have some youngsters starting and would be good to have some more on the bench too

is good to see that the boys have been given squad numbers but why so high numbers when there`s plenty of lower numbers available?

i`d like to see the youngsters that have been already promoted to the regular 1st team squad get higher numbers too..4 and 6 available so JB could have one of those numbers for example..

is good to see that the boys have been given squad numbers but why so high numbers when there`s plenty of lower numbers available?

i`d like to see the youngsters that have been already promoted to the regular 1st team squad get higher numbers too..4 and 6 available so JB could have one of those numbers for example..

I suppose its like showing how much closer to the 1st team/subs their becoming

like how PVA had 52 and never really saw the bench now he has 38 and he does see the bench time and time again

Im sure as clifford mceachran kakuta are promoted they will get smaller squad numbers Like clifford will get something like 31 29 25 And mceachran 33 28 27 and kakuta 20 22 or 24

Or maybe they will do what terry did and stick with their current numbers which i doubt

^ Agreed.. I really want to see Mellis play for us, looks like an exciting prospect. Plus he's a regular England u21, so he can't be that bad :D

Mellis is U19's at the moment. Was a little suprised to see Mellis involved, obviously he is one of the older lads around now but his loan move never really worked out for him and we are yet to find him a loan move this season. It will be tough for Mellis to break through now i think. But it is a good confidence boost for him to be involved with the squad for this game.

We should give Kakuta & McEachran propery numbers!

It's the way the club are doing it. It's another way of keeping them grounded, they don't get a lower squad number until they are absolutely ready to be classed as a full time first team squad member. Kakuta i think at least will have one next season,