Clarke Inspired Win

From The Times

January 4, 2008

Avram Grant takes credit but Steve Clarke throws teacups to inspire Chelsea win

The crucial half-time team talk credited with inspiring Chelsea’s fightback against Fulham on New Year’s Day was delivered by Steve Clarke, one of the assistant first-team coaches, not Avram Grant, the man in charge of the side. In the aftermath of the 2-1 victory Grant took the credit for administering the rollicking, so the revelation will cause him some embarrassment, though the first-team coach is unlikely to be too concerned as long as Chelsea maintain such spirit and stay in the Barclays Premier League title race.

Grant joked on Tuesday that the key decision to replace Steve Sidwell with John Obi Mikel at half-time was taken by Roman Abramovich, the owner, but it seems that other duties are shared around at Stamford Bridge. It is understood that Clarke tore into the players when they returned to the dressing-room for the interval at Craven Cottage, questioning their commitment and exhorting them to raise their game, while Grant sat and watched.

The Israeli’s contribution was quietly to announce the substitution after Clarke’s dressing-down had finished, before explaining on a one-on-one basis how the change would affect Michael Essien, who was moved into a more advanced midfield role.

While Grant may use the incident to demonstrate how well his new coaching team of Clarke and Henk ten Cate are working together, that does not explain why he was so eager to take credit for the team talk when Michael Ballack said after the match that it was a bit loud in the dressing-room. For the first time in his 3½month reign, the quietly spoken Grant indicated that he had a dark side, saying, “If I need to throw a teacup or even break a chair to win the game, that’s what I will do. If the players are sleeping then you need to wake them up.”

However, it appears that Grant did not do the waking, which will provide further ammunition for those who believe he lacks the charisma to manage such an ambitious club. Several senior sources at Chelsea have expressed concern about Grant’s ability to lift his players in the big matches and the fact that he is relying on Clarke during a West London derby against Fulham does not bode well for the future in that regard. It is understood that Ten Cate has fulfilled the role in the past, with his habit of barking out instructions leading the players to call him “Mad Dog” behind his back.

Grant received better news yesterday from Frank Lampard, who said he wants to stay at Chelsea for the rest of his career. The England midfield player has postponed talks on a new deal until the end of the season, but is hopeful of signing a lengthy extension to a contract that will have only 12 months to run in the summer.

“On a scale of one to ten, Chelsea is a ten for me in terms of importance and I’m not just saying that,” the 29-year-old said. “Everyone around me knows how much Chelsea mean to me. In my life my family comes first, but Chelsea come second.

“I don’t think I will receive the love I get from the Chelsea fans anywhere else. I feel strongly about it and I’d love to have another six or seven years of it. I’m at a club I love and living in an area I love. I see that Peter Osgood is on 150 goals for the club and I’d love to get to that level. I think I will carry on playing until I am around 35. I like to think I’m pretty fit and I will keep improving the more experience I get.

“Nothing has changed since the club and I decided that we wouldn’t talk about it until the end of the season. But I don’t want the fans to think there is anything sinister about it because I’m still desperate to get it done. If it could be done tomorrow I’d be happy with that, but it looks like it will be done later in the season.”

Well you know what they say........

It will all come out in the end. :whistling:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, well, what a surprise. Someone else does all the work while the retard does sweet fuck all and then reaps the credit for it. What a totally spineless shithead he is. Just when I thought I couldnt hate the saggy necked twat any more than I already do yet another 'revelation' hits the headlines to ridicule the club even more. If we dont get rid soon I'd be sorely tempted to shove a cone up his arse and kick him into next week myself.

I do not like avram grant but i can not say if i was offered the job and i did not know how to coach i would still take

the job.

Maybe I should put this in the "give us a song" thread.......

(to the tune of Jose Mourinho )

Avram Grant wannabe

Avram Grant wannabe

Avram Grant wannabe

Avram Grant wannabe

And repeat.................. :lol:

Lol. Even if there're quote, the media can always twist them to give the stories they want us to believe. Like in the Malouda quotes which was wrongly translated recently.

Do you seriously think most of us on here would need a media article twisted to high heavens to think that Grunt cant do the job :lol:

However, it appears that Grant did not do the waking, which will provide further ammunition for those who believe he lacks the charisma to manage such an ambitious club

More ammunition for an already fully loaded weapon :rolleyes:

So the Times said and yet there're no direct quotes from Clarke or any of player about it.

That means little, journos like Hughes have contacts at the club who will feed them info when required, all have agendas admittedly but I have a feeling this is probably pretty spot on.

Look at Grant for goodness sake and tell me that you can buy into that idea that this stiff standing on the touchline suddenly transforms himself with the aid of a phone box into superman and goes into the dressing room and inspires the players?

Ballack actually did not say after the game WHO made the dressing room loud - which further points to this article being true.

Other sources have also said that Grant just observes training and lets Clarke and Cate do all the hands on work with the players.

I realise that a win is a win and it matters not on the surface who gave the team talk but that just tells me everything about this guy right there.

He has no charisma, no passion and no ability whatsoever to inspire DIRECLTY the players we have.

He has to sit there and let Clarke or Cate give the team the lift up they need and then he goes out there are resumes his impression of a stick on the touchline once again but is quite happy to take the credit afterwards in order to try to bolster his image as being better than Mourinho.

Fat chance.

Results may still be trickling in but he is not a new Special One.

He's ordinary in word and deed, just like he said at this opening press conference ironically.

Thankfully we have Clarke still and Cate who seem to happily do the dirty work and keep the show on the road.

So yes I buy into this article as it fits with what I can see before my own eyes!

Edited by pluto

That means little, journos like Hughes have contacts at the club who will feed them info when required, all have agendas admittedly but I have a feeling this is probably pretty spot on.

Look at Grant for goodness sake and tell me that you can buy into that idea that this stiff standing on the touchline suddenly transforms himself with the aid of a phone box into superman and goes into the dressing room and inspires the players?

Ballack actually did not say after the game WHO made the dressing room loud - which further points to this article being true.

Other sources have also said that Grant just observes training and lets Clarke and Cate do all the hands on work with the players.

I realise that a win is a win and it matters not on the surface who gave the team talk but that just tells me everything about this guy right there.

He has no charisma, no passion and no ability whatsoever to inspire DIRECLTY the players we have.

He has to sit there and let Clarke or Cate give the team the lift up they need and then he goes out there are resumes his impression of a stick on the touchline once again but is quite happy to take the credit afterwards in order to try to bolster his image as being better than Mourinho.

Fat chance.

Results may still be trickling in but he is not a new Special One.

He's ordinary in word and deed, just like he said at this opening press conference ironically.

Thankfully we have Clarke still and Cate who seem to happily do the dirty work and keep the show on the road.

So yes I buy into this article as it fits with what I can see before my own eyes!

gacy.gif

Would you believe this guy has actually raped and murdered 33 young boys and men?

Fat chance, I would say when I look at that seemingly innocent face.

Click.

Edit: oh, and Grant did give a quote which the journalist made the article from, so it wasn't from an insider.

Edited by .Biru

wohoo!! thank god, the truth is out at last!!! funnily, that fucking bastard try to take credit for what his subordinates done. when i read this news, i cant stop laughing but i felt sorry for clarke and Chelsea player because they have to watch this fucking liar taking all the credit by himself. i hope it wont effect the team motivation tho. i also felt sorry for sidwell, malouda, TBH, alex who first came here and have the tought of getting coached from the probably the best manager in europe but end up with a person even his own countrymen didn't rate him highly.

gacy.gif

Would you believe this guy has actually raped and murdered 33 young boys and men?

Fat chance, I would say when I look at that seemingly innocent face.

what is your point here?

Edited by joe_kura

Chelsea No2 Steve Clarke was the real firebrand inside the dressing room at halftime of their victory at Fulham this week.

Chelsea chief Avram Grant claimed he laid into his stars to spark their 2-1 comeback win on New Year's Day.

But it was actually Clarke who read the half-time riot act.

A Blues insider revealed to The Sun: "Grant said his piece but didn't raise his voice.

"Then Steve tore into the players and told them they were not performing like internationals.

"He questioned their desire and asked if they could honestly say they were doing their best." Source: TribalFootball

Edited by Adam.k

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much more of the same in the coming days/weeks with a wee bit of ridicule towards Roman will surely see this cunt back managing in the Isreali armed forces third divison domino league - Just where the wank stain belongs. Fucking Barnet are too big a club for him.

Misschief, Your still in fine form I see, But you cant hide your hidden romantic overtures for Avram from me lady, I just know how much he leaves you dripping like a fucked fridge :whistling:

It was obvious that the stories about Grant losing it, and inspiring the players at half time were false. Just look at him.

Apart from anything else he's no real confidence, he'd be scared to reproach anyone except maybe a 5 year old child.

Get the money grabbing fraudster out ASAP.