Well played, Roman and Ballack

I do have to congratulate Abramovich on the Cole saga. In the past he might have reluctantly agreed to his contract demands, and we'd have ended up in four years time with another 32-year-old well past his best. Cole has shown his true colours and I am very proud of the maturity the club has shown. Don't get me wrong I love Joe Cole as much as the next person but he has shown himself to be very greedy, and the club have done the right thing. Roman's reluctance means the massive money he has invested in the academy can finally come into fruition - instead of playing Ballack, Kakuta can show us if he was worth all the fuss, whilst Stoch and Matic can also show how good they are as well.

I also have to say fair play to Ballack - he wanted to stay and was willing to take a pay cut (if the reports are to be believed) but wanted a two-year deal and not a 12-month contract. He leaves us on good terms and whilst he may not go into Chelsea folklore as a legend he certainly played his part in the most glorious part of this club's history. Thanks, Ballack.

This shows the club is heading in the right direction - FINALLY we will get to see the youth given their chance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed! Roman's taking a tight line with the players now. His decision to hold all contract talks till end of the season back in Feb or March was a good decision. It meant focus could come back into the squad, and what do you know.. We won the Double ;)

Ballack, well I think he'll look at this as a positive. He's had a good 4 years, and won numerous things with Chelsea, he'll probably be happy that he'll get a chance somewhere else (rumours say Real Madrid) which would be good for his career.

I'm sad to see Joe Cole leave in such circumstances. Still have great respect for his football, but not as a Chelsea fan. I still wish him the best in whatever club he goes to know (Arsenal?).. I was one of those who voted him our player of the season 2 seasons ago because of how he shone. It's a shame the injuries cost him last season..

This is a clear message from Roman, "don't get too big for your boots".. Salary caps are looking to get imposed and transfer budgets will remain tight, all in the best interest of the club. It leans us that much closer to being self-sustaining. Time for Kakuta, Matic, ect to step up.

This coming season will be a promising one for the Chelsea FC Future.. blue%20scalf.gif

Couldn't agree more Alex, this saga could of gone on alot longer all through summer and i was already sick of hearing it. If Joey wasn't willing to take the wage cut then thats his problem. He's been told to stick it thanks for everything but go find the wages somewhere else. It seems he was trying to use his status as a fans favourite at the club to get more money.

Also Ballack is a true proffessional.

Edited by Kez

it was the right decision to let j.cole leave, no way he has earned the wages he was demanding. Ballack was a hollywood signing and an historic moment in the clubs history, idolized in germany and a global superstar when he joined. Shame he missed out on the champions league trophy, but he has made histoy by becoming the first german to win the english double.

fkodbq.jpg

it was the right decision to let j.cole leave, no way he has earned the wages he was demanding. Ballack was a hollywood signing and an historic moment in the clubs history, idolized in germany and a global superstar when he joined. Shame he missed out on the champions league trophy, but he has made histoy by becoming the first german to win the english double.

fkodbq.jpg

You really need to start a '' I Love Kakuta '' club. You're really promoting the boy.

Sad to see Joey go.

I just have a really strong feeling he is going to shine at his next club sad.gif

I seriously would not mind if he went and shined in some other club... He definitely wasnt worth the wages he was demanding... Yes, he has done a lot of good things in the past and he has been equally well treated as well... Either him or his agent were being too hard nosed about this new contract.. But all credit to Roman and the club for taking this stance.. Is it just me or is Ron Gourlay doing something great behind the scenes ?!!? Since he was appointed the Cheif Executive, things have all been different from the way it was in the past...

I do have to congratulate Abramovich on the Cole saga. In the past he might have reluctantly agreed to his contract demands, and we'd have ended up in four years time with another 32-year-old well past his best. Cole has shown his true colours and I am very proud of the maturity the club has shown. Don't get me wrong I love Joe Cole as much as the next person but he has shown himself to be very greedy, and the club have done the right thing. Roman's reluctance means the massive money he has invested in the academy can finally come into fruition - instead of playing Ballack, Kakuta can show us if he was worth all the fuss, whilst Stoch and Matic can also show how good they are as well.

I also have to say fair play to Ballack - he wanted to stay and was willing to take a pay cut (if the reports are to be believed) but wanted a two-year deal and not a 12-month contract. He leaves us on good terms and whilst he may not go into Chelsea folklore as a legend he certainly played his part in the most glorious part of this club's history. Thanks, Ballack.

This shows the club is heading in the right direction - FINALLY we will get to see the youth given their chance.

:goodpost:

EXCELLENT post agree 100% ..we must get our wage bill more under control or we will be in real trouble with platini..

the development of our youth policy must be top priority

Couldn't agree more....

The club have made the right decision with Joe, the fact is he has not earned a pay rise, if he can get the extra money elsewhere then good luck to him, end of the day the club need to be doing something about our wage structure and this is the outcome of that. Joe doesn't come out of this looking too good in my opinion, even worse if he ends up at Spuds or Arse.

With Ballack it was 100% time to move on, good player but we need to be looking to build something new at this club and keeping Ballack around would not have helped with that at all. For me it was more than clear that we needed to let him go and the club have followed it through.

I am so pleased that the club finally seem to have a direction under Carlo and from my point of view the right direction. We are looking to build for the future. Ballack and Belletti's departures are step in that direction and not being held to ransom by Joe Cole shows we are looking to build seriously, also that we have confidence of a replacement. Also importantly as has already been mentioned we have confidence in our youth and hopefully they will step up this season.

Well for all the talk about youngsters, Carlo hardly played them last season. There's not much to suggest at this moment in time that this indicates more chances for young players - we will definitely be bringing experienced replacements in for some players.

Couldn't agree more....

The club have made the right decision with Joe, the fact is he has not earned a pay rise, if he can get the extra money elsewhere then good luck to him, end of the day the club need to be doing something about our wage structure and this is the outcome of that. Joe doesn't come out of this looking too good in my opinion, even worse if he ends up at Spuds or Arse.

With Ballack it was 100% time to move on, good player but we need to be looking to build something new at this club and keeping Ballack around would not have helped with that at all. For me it was more than clear that we needed to let him go and the club have followed it through.

I am so pleased that the club finally seem to have a direction under Carlo and from my point of view the right direction. We are looking to build for the future. Ballack and Belletti's departures are step in that direction and not being held to ransom by Joe Cole shows we are looking to build seriously, also that we have confidence of a replacement. Also importantly as has already been mentioned we have confidence in our youth and hopefully they will step up this season.

as always perfectly said esk

Well for all the talk about youngsters, Carlo hardly played them last season. There's not much to suggest at this moment in time that this indicates more chances for young players - we will definitely be bringing experienced replacements in for some players.

Carlo played youngsters more than any other manager has in recent times. The thing is that you can't just rely on these players too heavily, especially as your first season as a manager. I think in his first season Carlo has done very well to use them as much as he has. And i think that bodes well for a lot more next season..

Plus the fact that we are looking to bring down the wage bill, this is one way to do just that.

EXCELLENT post agree 100% ..we must get our wage bill more under control or we will be in real trouble with platini..

the development of our youth policy must be top priority

Chelsea have shaved an astonishing £20 million a year off their wage bill by allowing Cole, Michael Ballack and Juliano Belletti to leave as free agents and Portugal midfielder Deco to join Brazilian club Fluminense after the World Cup for a nominal fee.

Cole was on about £90,000 a week, Ballack £130,000, Belletti £65,000 and Deco £96,000.

source

That is a lot of cash!!

It is all well and good lowering the wage bill like that but will Carlo get any replacements in? Or take a risk on the kids?

The departure of Deco,Ballack and Belletti were expected and part of the natural cycle of a club. The Cole one is a risk I hope we don't regeret.