Unknown, Limited Edition, Stereo
US
Released:
21 Aug 2020
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Hard Rock, Indie Rock

R-15792254-1597869374-5853.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1597869374-2071.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655604-8911.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655597-4222.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655603-7293.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655604-7490.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598040342-2521.jpeg.jpg

Bully – ‘SUGAREGG’ review: a bubblegum grunge soundtrack to making it through tough times

Singer-songwriter Alicia Bognanno went through some serious stuff, parted ways with her bandmates and knocked out a killer third record

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/reviews/bully-sugaregg-album-review-2733896

Bully: Sugaregg review – melody and candour in the great grunge tradition

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/21/bully-sugaregg-review-sub-pop

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Bully - SUGAREGG (Full Album)

Label:
Sub Pop – SP1363, Sub Pop – SP1363B
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Blue w/ White Smoke
Unknown, 7", 45 RPM, Shape, Single Sided
Unknown, Limited Edition, Stereo
US
Released:
21 Aug 2020
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Hard Rock, Indie Rock

R-15792254-1597869374-5853.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1597869374-2071.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655604-8911.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655597-4222.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655603-7293.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598655604-7490.jpeg.jpgR-15792254-1598040342-2521.jpeg.jpg

Bully – ‘SUGAREGG’ review: a bubblegum grunge soundtrack to making it through tough times

Singer-songwriter Alicia Bognanno went through some serious stuff, parted ways with her bandmates and knocked out a killer third record

https://www.nme.com/en_asia/reviews/bully-sugaregg-album-review-2733896

Bully: Sugaregg review – melody and candour in the great grunge tradition

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/21/bully-sugaregg-review-sub-pop

Thank you.

Am gonna give these a listen

45 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Thank you.

Am gonna give these a listen

check out their first album too

Bully – Feels Like

Label:
Startime International – 88875108891, Columbia – 88875108891
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Red inside Clear
US
Released:
23 Jun 2015
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Indie Rock

R-7160773-1435077752-8250.jpeg.jpgR-7160773-1435366988-9965.jpeg.jpgR-7160773-1435366989-1419.jpeg.jpgR-7160773-1435366989-3210.jpeg.jpgR-7160773-1435366989-7499.jpeg.jpgR-7160773-1435366988-4880.jpeg.jpgR-7160773-1435366988-5114.jpeg.jpg

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

It is REALLY good, IMHO

It sounds really good. I usually take time to warm up to new songs, but I've already started playing a few on repeat from the Sugaregg album...

Already grooving to 'Prism', 'Where to Start'

Dire Straits w/ Sting - Money For Nothing

Label:
Vertigo – DSTR 1012
Format:
Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Maxi-Single
UK
Released:
24 Jun 1985
Genre:
Rock
Style:
Pop Rock, Classic Rock

Image result for More images Dire Straits – Money For NothingR-456051-1263064970.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Vesper

• 2 weeks later...

Digga D x AJ Tracey - Bringing It Back

Scorching drill from two of West London's finest

This AJ Tracey and Digga D collab feels long overdue. Both artists hail from Ladbroke Grove and are poster boys of UK rap's recent renaissance. In 2018, Digga D became the first rapper in the UK to be given a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) prohibiting him from releasing lyrics that incite violence or recording music without police permission. "Bringing It Back" is a righteous defiance of that order. Even the video is a recreation of Digga's "Next Up? Freestyle," which was taken off of YouTube by order of the police. A skeletal drill beat provides the ideal landing strip for this West London link-up. The duo use retro flows to go bar for bar with marksman precision. They're not pulling any punches either. Digga D brazenly admits to all sorts, still as fearless as ever even after his ordeal with the police. Meanwhile, AJ Tracey takes janus-faced jabs at the government: "I locked up the food for the kids like Boris, and then I let it go like Rashford." Almost every bar is this witty and weighty—by the time you've processed an AJ bar you'll be clutching your pearls over a Digga one.

Digga D x AJ Tracey - Bringing It Back cover

• 2 weeks later...

Floating Points / Pharoah Sanders / The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises (just dropped)

Label:
Luaka Bop – Luaka Bop 0097
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Blue Marbled
UK
Released:
23 Mar 2021
Genre:
Jazz
Style:
Soul-Jazz, Modal

oLJUy6cv%2BGUM%3D1ITwHhDlqejefM7Zgu33Sg%3D

An epic, intergenerational meeting results in one of the greatest modern jazz albums.

https://ra.co/reviews/33747

Floating Points: Pharoah...

Pharoah Sanders: Huh?

Floating Points: Were you asleep? I'm sorry...

Pharoah Sanders: No no... I was listening... and dreaming... and listening to music in my head...

Floating Points: Oh wow. Sorry.

Pharoah Sanders: Many times, people think I might be asleep... but in fact, I am just listening to music in my head. I'm always listening... to the sounds around me... and playing, in my mind... and sometimes I dream.

Floating Points: What were you dreaming about?

Pharoah Sanders: I'm on a ship. In the ocean. Bears coming around smoking cigars. The bears are singing, 'We have the music. We have what you're looking for.'

This conversation between Pharoah Sanders and Sam Shepherd, the DJ and accomplished musician known as Floating Points, gives us a glimpse into the five-year process that has culminated in Promises. Initiated by David Byrne's label Luaka Bop after Sanders heard Shepherd's work, a team-up like this comes with sky-high expectations. Promises is Shepherd's third studio album after the highly-acclaimed LPs Elaenia and Crush, and Sanders' first new recordings in over a decade. There were no singles put forward from the album, just some video previews and a smattering of press info. The time and patience put into the project is audible across its nine movements. Sanders is one of America's greatest living artists, and one of the most influential jazz saxophonists of all time. He began playing in segregated Little Rock, Arkansas (where the historical Little Rock Nine Crisis took place) and has six decades of professional musicianship under his belt. He played under Sun Ra, who bestowed the name Pharoah upon him, and crucially, with John Coltrane. The period with Coltrane became the foundation of free jazz and the well-known "sheets of sound" method.

"Listening to Pharoah play on this piece, it was like the instrument was an extension of his being, like it was a megaphone for his soul," is how Shepherd describes his playing on Promises. This is a man who has nothing to prove, and is grounded in himself and his music. For him to not only appreciate but participate in a collaborative effort with any modern artist is not only an honor but a privilege. Then there is Sam Shepherd, the English-born globe trotting DJ and neuroscience PhD holder. Through his association with defunct club Plastic People and his role in starting the Eglo label, he's shown a deep appreciation for music influenced by the African diaspora. This comes from a willingness to truly interact and learn from the community he admires without the fetishization so common in many European admirers. Shepherd spent time in the US as a young adult, when he got a firsthand education on records, DJing at Mr. Peabody Records, the now-shuttered Chicago record store run by Mark Grusane and Mike Cole. Through his DJ sets as Floating Points he demonstrates a willingness to push boundaries. In fact, he once played Pharoah Sanders' "Harvest Time" in its entirety, at Berghain, as his opening record. The admiration is mutual. "I think Sam is a great musician, and one of these geniuses just walking around on this earth," Sanders says. "I love the way he plays, and I love the way he writes."

Although the notes list separate pieces, Promises is meant to be listened to in one sitting. Clocking in at 46 minutes, it touches on various aspects of classical composition and electronic music but is, in essence, a modern jazz record. Shepherd not only plays his various keyboards, but wrote all the music and mixed the record himself. The meticulous modern production techniques merge all these strains together for a near-perfect balance. Never does it seem like one genre or instrument is at the forefront—space and timing are given ample priority at every moment. It would be easy to just have Sanders blow constantly, but his playing is never given extreme prominence. When he does play, it's the stuff of magic. Years of perfecting his craft can be heard in every well-chosen note. The string arrangements are performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Shepherd explains how this addition was a game changer: "The sound of that orchestra playing with so much space between them felt like this audible manifestation of the times we were living through," he says. "It was wide and distant and loose, and as soon as I heard them playing, it was like the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle falling into place."

Recorded during the pandemic using a socially distanced recording process, 100 different microphones were used in the process. It's a poignant memento of a time of great uncertainty and fear. As the world attempts to reclaim some sense of "normalcy" and people begin to slide back into the hyper-paced lifestyle of the modern world, Promises is a reminder of the benefits of immersive listening. It gives the modern music fan a taste of what's lost in the endless pursuit of constant gratification. One cannot help but make comparisons to the jazz recordings of the analogue years. Active listeners will hear the movement of fingers across instruments, Sanders' breath as he blows into his reed, shuffling musicians in their seats. This adds a palpable, organic layer to the listening experience. This human aspect behind the instruments is sometimes lost on a large part of the current music listening population. Promises is not for the club; it's not party music; it isn't overly contrived intellectual dribble. What is on display here is the potential of unbound artistic striving. I dare say this may not only be Shepherd's magnum opus, but one of Sanders' greatest works as well.