Mutu makes charity offer

the wes

Adrian Mutu hasoffered to make a 'significant donation' to charity if Chelsea areprepared to waive his 17million euros (£14.6million) fine.

The Romania international, who is now with Fiorentina, was sacked by the Blues after testing positive for cocaine in 2004.

Mutu was subsequently handed the massive penalty by Fifa for breaching his contract with the Stamford Bridge club.

Earlierthis year the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld Fifa'sruling, but the striker insists he cannot afford to pay thecompensation figure.

He has now written to Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Chelsea suggesting an alternative solution.

Mutu said: "I can't pay that kind of money and it's not a question of desire but one of understanding and rationale.

"Ipropose to make a significant donation to a charitable association inFlorence or elsewhere that looks after children with problems relatedto substance abuse and to make another donation to a charity chosen byChelsea in London or in England and the same in my country, Romania."

SkySports

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said before that this ban is harsh - we're all human and we all make mistakes. A doctor wouldn't be forced to pay millions in compensation for taking drugs, for example. Mutu knows he has done wrong and has gone about proving his doubters wrong with excellent performances for Fiorentina. I think we should drop the ban altogether, the man's got his life back on track.

I have said before that this ban is harsh - we're all human and we all make mistakes. A doctor wouldn't be forced to pay millions in compensation for taking drugs, for example. Mutu knows he has done wrong and has gone about proving his doubters wrong with excellent performances for Fiorentina. I think we should drop the ban altogether, the man's got his life back on track.

And those mistakes in life have consequences if you didn't realise.

He knows what he has done. Let him give to the charity and we'll have it behind us. Everyone makes mistakes, wouldn't want to see the guy go bankcrupt

So players can think they can screw us over and get away with it easy in the future? No. A big no.

I would not want Chelsea to completely accept his proposal... But say, if we told its ok, we are ready to reduce it to half of the current fine or sumthing it shud be fine.. 14m even for a footballer is huge amt of money and we would not want another bad name added to our club of bankrupting a pro-footballer.

I would not want Chelsea to completely accept his proposal... But say, if we told its ok, we are ready to reduce it to half of the current fine or sumthing it shud be fine.. 14m even for a footballer is huge amt of money and we would not want another bad name added to our club of bankrupting a pro-footballer.

He won't go bankrupt as he's still 30 years old. At least 3 years left for him and off-the-field football career after that. Like pundits, commentator, etc.

An athlete's career isn't as short as some people think.

Yes but what percentage of footballers do make a profession as a pundits or commentators..

It's very small..

There's no way Mutu is gonna pay the amount, so the two options available look like, he pays nothing and stops playing football..

or donate a big amount to charity in 3 countries and carry on..

The first helps us with nothing.. The second although only a tad better, is good enough for me.. We sacked the guy, rightfully, but then the compensation figure is just too irrational for a player..

What the Court could have done is asked Juve to pay a certain part of it.. It's as much their fault as Mutu's..

Yes but what percentage of footballers do make a profession as a pundits or commentators..

It's very small..

There's no way Mutu is gonna pay the amount, so the two options available look like, he pays nothing and stops playing football..

or donate a big amount to charity in 3 countries and carry on..

The first helps us with nothing.. The second although only a tad better, is good enough for me.. We sacked the guy, rightfully, but then the compensation figure is just too irrational for a player..

What the Court could have done is asked Juve to pay a certain part of it.. It's as much their fault as Mutu's..

That's his choice. He'll still make at least a few millions each year, in the few years left as a striker. He could invest that money if he doesn't want to stay in a footballing career.

If we choose to let him donate to charity, I'd want it to be the same amount of money. £14.87m.

Totally agree with you. Its too harsh. He made a mistake..shit happens