Striker Adrian Mutu Forced To Retire From Football Over Chelsea Compensation

the wes

Adrian Mutu will be forced to quit football by Chelsea if he doesn'tpay them the €17,173,990 compensation he was ordered to by the Court ofArbitration for Sport (CAS), and the race is now on to try and save hiscareer, according to La Nazione.

Mutu has until Mondayto pay Chelsea the compensation. If he doesn't, then the Premier Leagueside will apply to FIFA for a ban, and that in turn will push Mutu intoretirement.

The race is now on to try and find a solution andthe report suggests Mutu is looking at every avenue. It is saidFiorentina and the player's legal team are looking towards UEFA and theEuropean Courts for a hand. Furthermore, voices in Italy claim Chelseaare in no mood to offer the player a chance to find the cash. He eitherpays, or stops playing football, putting his career at risk.

Newsemerging from Italy has shocked the country, and Florence inparticular. The Della Valle family who own Fiorentina are also gettinginvolved and they have applied to the Italian FA to support them.Italian minister for work Maurizio Sacconi is urging the Berlusconi-ledgovernment to take action in an attempt to save the player's career.

"The Mutu case is delicate and I urge the government to get involved," said the minister.

Itis also said Juventus and Livorno are ready to back Mutu in his pleafor justice. There are serious fears that the game against Palermotomorrow night could be his last. The player's legal team and club areworking over time in an attempt to explore new avenues and buy him moretime.

As a last resort, the paper has even suggested a fundraising event in the city in an attempt to help the striker pay themassive sum.

All this comes from the player's sacking by Chelseain October 2004 when he was found positive for cocaine during a dopingtest. Mutu was then ordered to pay Chelsea €17m in damages after theCAS rejected an appeal following the initial compensation decision lastyear.

In May 2008, the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber ruledthat Mutu had committed a breach of contract whilst at Chelsea after hewas found positive for a doping test in 2004.

Mutu appealed tothe CAS against the decision, but the panel upheld the originaljudgement by the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber, and ruled in favourof Chelsea. The decision means Mutu will have to pay the Premier Leagueside a total of €17,173,990 in compensation.

The striker is now trying desperately to find a solution and it is said he will take the case to the high courts.

Fiorentinaare also concerned over the prospect of losing their star player asthey will stand to receive no compensation should he be suspendedand/or retire.

Goal.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he did a stupid thing, but he's human and we all make mistakes. I think its pretty disgusting that he's been forced to retire from football, in all honesty. Like I say, I don't condone what he did, but its impossible not to feel sorry for him. It does serve him right, however, but since re-establishing himself as a footballer since the drugs scandal, he's been pretty sensational for Fiorentina, and its sad to see him retire IMO.

I know he did a stupid thing, but he's human and we all make mistakes. I think its pretty disgusting that he's been forced to retire from football, in all honesty. Like I say, I don't condone what he did, but its impossible not to feel sorry for him. It does serve him right, however, but since re-establishing himself as a footballer since the drugs scandal, he's been pretty sensational for Fiorentina, and its sad to see him retire IMO.

I actually agree with you 100%, im sad to see him retire because he is such a good talent. He did make a huge mistake but im sure he wishes he could take it back everyday and not be in the situation he is in now.

This is incredibly sad from the club, we are so wealthy and we are targeting one player...who obviously cannot afford what we are demanding (and unrightfully so). As BL said above, he made a mistake years ago, seems to be back on the right track now. So indirectly forcing him into retirement is just pushing it.

The club have done whats right for them. We spent out a lot of money to sign him and he screwed us over, he destroyed himself and the money we paid for him. We had every right to get that money back from him, it is not for us to feel sympathy for him because he can't afford to pay for it.

The club have done whats right for them. We spent out a lot of money to sign him and he screwed us over, he destroyed himself and the money we paid for him. We had every right to get that money back from him, it is not for us to feel sympathy for him because he can't afford to pay for it.

Nuff said. In 100% agreement with that.

He was a scapegoat. With half of young society snorting the old marching powder every weekend, guaranteed loads of players were at it, and still are when they can get away with it.

His harsh punishment has acted as a deterrent.

This is incredibly sad from the club, we are so wealthy and we are targeting one player...who obviously cannot afford what we are demanding (and unrightfully so). As BL said above, he made a mistake years ago, seems to be back on the right track now. So indirectly forcing him into retirement is just pushing it.

I have to disagree. We did the right thing by coming down hard on him and use him as an example. What's going to stop other players from following his footsteps, knowing they'd get away with it if found guilty of screwing us?

Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu has been ordered to pay €17 million in compensation to Premier League giants Chelsea,and FIFA could bring his career to an abrupt end if he doesn’t pay thefull sum, but the Romanian has now received some more welcome backing.

The 30-year-old was sacked by the London club after failing a drugs test in 2004 and went on to sign for Turin club Juventusas a free agent, and the Italian Players’ Association (AIC) vicepresident, Leonardo Grosso, believes the Bianconeri could get suckedinto the case.

“We will fight for Mutu because we feel it isunjust that a player has to pay such an abnormal sum,” he explained inan interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“And alsobecause we are perplexed that Juve were not involved: an article of theFIFA rules contemplates joint and several liability, that is theliability of the club for which the player was registered afterChelsea.”

Fiorentina and the Italian Football Federation, alongwith the AIC, have all pledged to stand by Mutu, who is consideringtaking the matter to the Swiss Federal Tribunal, which could reversethe sentence on procedural grounds. The deadline to lodge an appeal isset for September 15.

Goal.com

I really feel sorry for him i liked him so much as a player and we should of kept him. He was fantastic when he first came second half of the season his goals dried up. He had talent as a second forward very skillful player, we should of kept him and helped him to overcome what he was doing.