Benzema joins Real

BlueLion.

Seems a great player. I've got some mates in France who are very excited over him, and keep saying how well he is doing and improving.

I think he averages a goal a game so far this season, and has practically everything a striker needs, and hes only 19?

Blue Lion watches him a fair bit too as a 'OL fan', and obviously thinks highly of him.

Aye, I watch Lyon as much as possible these days. He shone against Saint Etienne in the local derby a week ago which was a 1-1 draw, he scored in the dying seconds for OL. He has proved he can cut it in the Champions League as well, and as a striker I believe he has everything. He is not the tallest but is very strong on the ball. He has pace to burn and excellent ball skills. But as David says, the player is only 20 years old and at that young age, he will cost us a lot of money. However the Big Boss has shown money is no object. Hopefully Malouda, Makelele and Anelka can give him glowing reviews of the club. And yes, he does have a great record this season - he is Ligue Un's top scorer with 15 goals in 23 fixtures, of which none were penalty kicks. He also has five assists in Ligue Un, second only to Jerome Rothen of Paris SG. Like I say he will set us back a lot of money but he also can play central midfield and also as a winger.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, I watch Lyon as much as possible these days. He shone against Saint Etienne in the local derby a week ago which was a 1-1 draw, he scored in the dying seconds for OL. He has proved he can cut it in the Champions League as well, and as a striker I believe he has everything. He is not the tallest but is very strong on the ball. He has pace to burn and excellent ball skills. But as David says, the player is only 20 years old and at that young age, he will cost us a lot of money. However the Big Boss has shown money is no object. Hopefully Malouda, Makelele and Anelka can give him glowing reviews of the club. And yes, he does have a great record this season - he is Ligue Un's top scorer with 15 goals in 23 fixtures, of which none were penalty kicks. He also has five assists in Ligue Un, second only to Jerome Rothen of Paris SG. Like I say he will set us back a lot of money but he also can play central midfield and also as a winger.

He's certainly a promising possibility. Might get some coercion from Anelka being a young Muslim as well. He's certainly benefitted from playing around the likes of Wiltord, Govou, Juninho etc. and you can guarantee his price will more than likely go through the roof after Euro 2008 -though as you say money should be no object with our finances.

It's looks like he is going to be the big transfer story in the summer! All the major clubs are going to want to sign him. He will cost a fortune because a bidding war will start and also we all know what Lyon are like when negotiating transfers!!!

It's looks like he is going to be the big transfer story in the summer! All the major clubs are going to want to sign him. He will cost a fortune because a bidding war will start and also we all know what Lyon are like when negotiating transfers!!!

You are quite right. The Big Boss has had no problems dishing out £100 million for Carvalho, Shevchenko, Drogba and Essien, so this shouldn't be a problem :lol:

You are quite right. The Big Boss has had no problems dishing out £100 million for Carvalho, Shevchenko, Drogba and Essien, so this shouldn't be a problem :lol:

Well if we want him THAT much then we will more than likely pay for him. He is certainly the sort of player i would like to see us sign.

• 1 month later...
Drogba, Sheva Out, Benzema In?

British tabloid The Mirror claims that both Didier Drogba and Andrei Shevchenko are to leave Chelsea in the summer, with Lyon youngster Karim Benzema apparently being groomed as a replacement...

The Mirror recounted the long-standing story that Didier Drogba is reaching the end of his tether at the Bridge, with the Ivorian allegedly keen to follow Jose Mourinho in departing the London club.

AC Milan are said to be leading the race for the 29-year-old's signature, although the big two in Spain are also said to be interested: as such, there should be little problem in selling Drogba on in summer, should he in fact be eager to leave.

Andriy Shevchenko, meanwhile, has by and large been a disappointment since signing on from AC Milan in 2006 for a mammoth fee in the region of €40m, and could yet be sold back to his old club at a knock-down price.

Such moves would leave a vacancy in attack, with Benzema said to be the leading target among the Chelsea hierarchy to fill it.

The 20-year-old is already an established goalscorer and a French international, with Europe's top clubs all having apparently scouted him on at least one occasion.

Chelsea will no doubt have the financial clout to land him, but there are two major obstacles standing in their way.

The first is that Benzema has stated on more than one occasion that he's looking to complete another season at the Stade Gerland before moving on to pastures new, meaning that he'd be unavailable until July 2009.

The second is that, even if he is ready to move earlier than that, he has also declared that he'd be more amenable to a switch to Italy or Spain than England, due to the Premier League not really suiting his style of play.

Source: Goal

My worry is we'll struggle to sign the players we really want because of the mess we're in. Given a choice between the other big clubs in Europe and a laughing stock, which one would an ambitious player choose?

Depends who is in charge in the summer really doesn't it!

• 1 month later...