OFFICIAL: Florent Malouda Signs New Chelsea Contract

Chelsea midfielder Florent Malouda has signed a contract extension with the club.

The winger had two years remaining on his existing deal, which has now doubled in length.

The Blues have been linked with another left-sided player in Russian Yuri Zhirkov, whose arrival could have meant the end of Malouda's Chelsea career.

The Frenchman has since put an end to all speculation surrounding a possible exit from the club, however.

"I can reveal that I have signed a new two-year deal with Chelsea," Malouda told Tele Guyane.

"I am staying. From now on, I have four years left on my contract.

"I know that every time the transfer window opens there are a lot of rumours and I hope in this one people will know what has happened."

Malouda had failed to impress upon his arrival at Stamford Bridge from Lyon in 2007, but has since enjoyed an upturn in form under last season's caretaker manager Guus Hiddink.

Fuck Malouda were's joe cole contract extension :rant:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was suprised he is 29 but no matter.He deserved the contract during his change and improvement in the closing of the season.Scored some cruical goals and i just hope he starts the new season like he ended this one,if he starts it like he started the last we are fucked.

Deffiantly deserves the extension after his massive turn around but personally i think the club should of held off a little and waited for the start of next season and seen how he played.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been confirmed that a new three-year contract previously agreed with Florent Malouda has been signed.

The player who had one year left on his previous deal is now committed to Chelsea until 2012.

'We agreed during my holidays and I have signed now I've come back,' explained Malouda.

'I am really happy because it shows a mutual trust between the club and myself and for me it is just the beginning of the story.

'The last six months especially I was feeling great, plus we won a trophy that was really important to me. I feel really good and you can see it on the pitch and I hope we get more trophies.'

The France international sought no reassurances from Carlo Ancelotti before signing but is pleased that he will work under the new manager.

'I was really happy when I heard it was Carlo Ancelotti because I have a lot of respect for him and at my former club Lyon I played many times against Milan. For me it is a really good choice and I believe in him.'

Already Ancelotti asked Malouda to alter his game a little in the match in Seattle by playing him tucked inside on the left of midfield.

'This year he wants to try the new system with a diamond so I have to adapt myself and that is why we are training really hard to do what the manager wants. It is a different role for me but that is part of my game, I can play in many positions, and I have played it a few times in Lyon when there were injuries and in the France national team I have played many times this position.'

Source: Chelsea FC

I truly hope Malouda carries his form over to this season, because he is an important player for us if he can. Interesting about the diamond formation, i wonder how much it will get used this season?

More often then not according to my italian friend. His father owns the restaurant down the road from ours and he is a big milan fan. He says carlo likes 4 midfield players who play little triangles between them creating space for the 2 forwards.