Chelsea vs Barcelona

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Referee

Tom Henning Øvrebø (born 26 June 1966 in Oslo, Norway) is a Norwegian football referee. He works as a psychologist outside of football.[1]

Øvrebø has refereed 205 matches in the Norwegian Premier League since his debut on September 20, 1992. In 1994 he became an authorised FIFA referee, and has refereed many matches in the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League. He won the Kniksen award as referee of the year in the Norwegian Premier League for 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2006. He refereed the cup finals in Norway in 1999 (Rosenborg - Brann) and 2006 (Fredrikstad - Sandefjord).

He was chosen to referee at Euro 2008 - his first major tournament and the first time he was chosen over fellow countryman and colleague Terje Hauge. He refereed the Germany - Poland match on the opening day of Group B. He refereed the Italy - Romania match which resulted in a 1-1 draw. The Italian Football Federation later demanded an apology from UEFA after Luca Toni’s goal was incorrectly ruled out for offside in the Italy - Romania match that Øvrebø refereed.[2] There was also criticism of the official for a penalty shot given to Romania and a yellow card to Daniele De Rossi at the ending moments of the game. Afterwards, Øvrebø admitted he had made a mistake during the game.[3] Øvrebø was not assigned any more matches to referee at Euro 2008.[4]

He was preselected as a referee for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.[5]

Referee Stats for 2008-09

The refs from scandinavia are very good, they dont blow for stupid little pointless things. Maybe that will be to our advantage. The ref for Man Utd vs Arse was Danish i think and he was excellent. Best ref display ive seen all season.

Thierry Henry has been included in Barcelona's squad to travel to Chelsea for the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final.

The French forward was the subject of conflicting reports regarding his fitness after suffering a knock to the knee in Saturday's 6-2 win at Real Madrid.

Reports had claimed that Henry would be sidelined for a fortnight, only for Barca to quickly declare that the player would be fit for Wednesday's game.

Though he sat out training on Monday, the former Arsenal captain has been included in the travelling party for the clash at Stamford Bridge.

His presence will be a major boost to Barca coach Pep Guardiola, who has a defensive conundrum to consider for the tie, which is delicately poised at 0-0.

Rafael Marquez suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first leg, while Carles Puyol is ruled out through suspension after being booked at Camp Nou.

Gabriel Milito is also sidelined, so the likes of Martin Caceres, Victor Sanchez and Eric Abidal are vying to partner Gerard Pique in central defence.

Puyol is joining the squad in West London and Guardiola has also found a place for young defender Alberto Botia.

Skysports

I hate the media.

Most of them are calling Chelsea favourites to go through and are talking how Barca are overrated and how they wont beat a well organized physical side like Chelsea. Only one week back, they were expecting Barca to steam roll us. I see this as a jinx. Whoever the media considers as favourites and goes gaga over them, they just happen to jinx them. :rolleyes:

Expect Mikel and Essien to stick to xavi and Iniesta. Ballack wont play as Iniesta and xavi would out run him. Mikel will be deployed to man mark them along with Essien to Stem the passes to the front three.

Anelka on the right wing and Ashely and Boss in their respective postions. Hate to keep Ivanovic out, but Boswinga has speed to cath up with Henry on the flank.

Most of them are calling Chelsea favourites to go through and are talking how Barca are overrated and how they wont beat a well organized physical side like Chelsea.

You and me must read different things because everything I have read that isn't written by a Chelsea fan/site has Barc beating us and it possibly getting ugly as they get revenge

Barca do seem to be giving it the large one. OK so they beat Madrid by the same margin as Liverpool -who we beat.

As long as Drogba stays on form - saturday two assists and a goal we can be confident against their two replacement centre backs ... - although I think Hiddink was taking a risk Saturday that players werent injured, playing all those first teamers...

Madrids defending at the weekend was woeful! They played such a high line and allowed Barca behind them far too easily. We will not do that, but we will hold strong at the back and attack them to exploit their weakness. We most certainly can win this game and i would love to see us stick a few past them and shut them up good and proper.

I agree he took a risk Sat but it showed we're still dodgy at the back and also that Analka and Drogba together the way to go so hopfully paid off

Yeh we have been pretty quiet.Under dogs :D and like Frank said lets prove wrong about us being desinted not to win it...

Just need bloody focus!And not do an Arsenal...

Come on Chels!!!!!

Had a blody dream we were 3-0 down then got 2 back and then woke up cofnused lol then it was ahhh we havent played yet!!

Just bloody stay focused!If we go 2-0 up dont piss about

Lol -it wont be easy , think they will try to kill it early on as ManUtd did last night -but even if they score Chels have a lot more character to come back than the Arse had last night