Hillsborough - A Chelsea viewpoint

I don't know how many people here will have any memories of Hillsborough disaster but I want to put a personal viewpoint onto the day from a Chelsea point of view. A few people here may remember that day vividly, FB, etc, but for the rest who care to be interested, here's a Chelsea angle:

I was up at Leicester that day, Chelsea had been unbeaten for something like 27 games in the old second division, And Leicester were down as a team that could cause us problems. On the day we lost our record, Gary McAllister inspired Leicester deserved to beat us, No question. The game was at the old Filbert Street and it kicked off big time after the game.

Coming back to London on the bus, word started to filter through on the old hand held transister radio's, more and more shocking with each passing update.

Our next game was against Leeds at the Bridge, at a game that would win us the league. A minutes silence to be upheld and against the hated Leeds. Sadly it never stood a chance and there was more than a few cat calls during the silence.

Two years before, If I remember right, we played the Yids at three point lane and lost 0-1 due to Clausen scoring near the end, the Park Lane end was heaving, and we had to fight old Bill to get the Segregation pen opened to accomodate the Chelsea support. Very dodge indeed.

Fast forward to Athens two years ago, and what do we have?, Scousers steaming over fellow scousers in a frantic attempt to get in to the ground. Pathetic, Utterly Pathetic.

Edited by changingman2000

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember watching it on TV -people just thought it was kicking off, the commentator, and the Forest fans were still singing abuse as they carried out people.

It was a tragedy, but the important thing is that -No one has ever been held to account for this. Lord Justice Taylor, blamed poor policing and inadequate facilities. But no-one has ever been successfully prosecuted for the tragedy. The police have escaped prosecution because legally 3.15pm is effectively the time of all 96 deaths. This excuses any question of ongoing negligence.

The police just let too many people in, there was a myth that a gate was knocked down and then this story was repeated by all the media.

People were generally treated like cattle and and kept in cages back then, and although Liverpool fans are far from angels, the police officers should have been prosecuted instead of the nice early retirement packages.

You make me sick.

Liverpool fans in Athens were a disgrace. OK the Greek organisation was shambolic, but it was the same old story. Loads without tickets pissed up - What other fans steal tickets from fellow fans or from the hands of children?

At the Bridge they used forged tickets, stormed the shed gate, they just live up to their stereotype everytime, do themselves no favours...

Liverpool fans in Athens were a disgrace. OK the Greek organisation was shambolic, but it was the same old story. Loads without tickets pissed up - What other fans steal tickets from fellow fans or from the hands of children?

At the Bridge they used forged tickets, stormed the shed gate, they just live up to their stereotype everytime, do themselves no favours...

Fucks sake 96 people lost their lives in a horrible disaster. Today is more about the people who lost their lives at the front of that pen. They were just their to watch the match and they were killed. What happened in athens was terrible i admit but dont use that to downgrade hillsborough.

Fucks sake 96 people lost their lives in a horrible disaster. Today is more about the people who lost their lives at the front of that pen. They were just their to watch the match and they were killed. What happened in athens was terrible i admit but dont use that to downgrade hillsborough.

No ones down grading Hillsboro -but when they have all these anniversaries and silences, the scallies should fucking remember Hillsboro before they go mental at away games.

Apart from the 96 many more were starved of oxygen, suffered brain damage, and had crushing injuries. There were several near misses before that -some in the Shed, it was an event waiting to happen. Sadly this kind of event still goes on, with the Ivory Coast fans trying to see Drogba last week...

You make me sick.

I see you aint changed much eh? Just what did I say that "made you sick"?

Was it a fact that Liverpool fans were clambering over their fellow fans in an effort to get into the Final in Athens? Yes/No?

Did Liverpool fans attempt to storm the gates at the Shed End to try and force entry? Yes/No?

Lets not act all politically correct about it all, just straight answers please.

They, above all, should be more respectful towards their own fans, But sadly not.

I see you aint changed much eh? Just what did I say that "made you sick"?

Was it a fact that Liverpool fans were clambering over their fellow fans in an effort to get into the Final in Athens? Yes/No?

Did Liverpool fans attempt to storm the gates at the Shed End to try and force entry? Yes/No?

Lets not act all politically correct about it all, just straight answers please.

They, above all, should be more respectful towards their own fans, But sadly not.

You made a thread about HILLSBOROUGH. What the hell the finals in athens has to do with 96 people dead in hillsborough has gone over my head. What happened in athens happened, no one lost their lives. Today aint about scouser's learning a lesson, (thats what your horrible twisted mind is trying to put it as) its about the 96 fans who passed away.

You made a thread about HILLSBOROUGH. What the hell the finals in athens has to do with 96 people dead in hillsborough has gone over my head. What happened in athens happened, no one lost their lives. Today aint about scouser's learning a lesson, (thats what your horrible twisted mind is trying to put it as) its about the 96 fans who passed away.

so I have a "horrible and twisted mind"? Nice. Thats some assumption that, but no less than some of the crap that you've spouted before of course :rolleyes:

Watching some service on SSN, Well Setanta news coverage is better. I'll probably watch the thing about it later, well i'll set it to record. History Channel. I obviously was only 2 n half when it happened so it was before my time but it was a terrible thing and a disaster that will never be forgotten (even tho liverpool fans killing each other sounds quite appealing to me). RIP the 96 and their families.

Watched the service today, Really felt for Trevor Hicks but he conducted himself well and deserves great praise. I really didnt get the cat calls during Andy Burnham's speech. I mean, when the disaster happened it was the Tories in power, and would remain so for another 8 years, So why they gave this guy the bird is beyond me. I thought he came across as a decent bloke (strange for a politician I know).

Dalglish also done well, Must have been hard for him too. It was a sad day for football all round

RIP :(

But sad to see some fans have no learnt lessons

Dont see how after that at Arsenal a while back,fans were going in 2 at a time due to the turnstiles and a scum fan rung up and said it was Arsenals fault..just dont get that.Know it changing the subject but dont get it

RIP to the 96 people

that said - last nite was quite interesting seeing that all the Liverpool fans were standing for 90% of the game - that just reminds me of the last CL final that Liverpool were in when Parry said that Liverpool fans will get in by hook or by crook

i know that Chelsea fans get letters saying that they aren't allowed to - so what makes them think that they are special and can stand whereever they want to with no consequences

CM & FB - as ever I totally agree. In fact, when I've gone to great lengths to explain my complete and utter hatred for Liverpool to my sons in the past, Hillsborough has always been a part of that. I remember watching events unfold that day and it was sickening and whilst I have the utmost sympathy for anyone to lose family members in that way, I've often though its been 'glamourised' - although maybe thats not the right word. I just think its been used to detract from other incidents where blame has been a little clearer, i.e. Heysel. (although even that was Chelsea fans' fault according their chairman, right? lol)

FB's right, there's been no-one held to account. Of course, we all know the police let too many in - and that should never have happened - although how much pressure were they under from the pushing and shoving that was obviously going on?

What really sickens me about them though is things like Athens - because whilst they whinge and whine, demanding sympathy and respect for the 96, they dont bloody practice what they preach with their own behaviour.

And Badboy - calm down la, if you'd actually been around at the time and seen those images on a daily basis, on TV, in the press, rammed down your throat - and then years later, with the dippers still insisting they're victims and demanding national recognition and pity, only to behave the way they did in Athens, you might hold much stronger opinions than the ones fed to everyone by today's media.

CM & FB - as ever I totally agree. In fact, when I've gone to great lengths to explain my complete and utter hatred for Liverpool to my sons in the past, Hillsborough has always been a part of that. I remember watching events unfold that day and it was sickening and whilst I have the utmost sympathy for anyone to lose family members in that way, I've often though its been 'glamourised' - although maybe thats not the right word. I just think its been used to detract from other incidents where blame has been a little clearer, i.e. Heysel. (although even that was Chelsea fans' fault according their chairman, right? lol)

FB's right, there's been no-one held to account. Of course, we all know the police let too many in - and that should never have happened - although how much pressure were they under from the pushing and shoving that was obviously going on?

What really sickens me about them though is things like Athens - because whilst they whinge and whine, demanding sympathy and respect for the 96, they dont bloody practice what they preach with their own behaviour.

And Badboy - calm down la, if you'd actually been around at the time and seen those images on a daily basis, on TV, in the press, rammed down your throat - and then years later, with the dippers still insisting they're victims and demanding national recognition and pity, only to behave the way they did in Athens, you might hold much stronger opinions than the ones fed to everyone by today's media.

Now I utterly and completely second that emotion. Misschief sums it all up perfectly, Yet the media being all very PC nowadays, Are very reticent to cunt the Bin Dippers off. The simple facts are that the Dippers think they have an exclusive right on being "Passionate" about their team. They think its their god given right and that no one comes close to showing similar passion towards their own team. Its naive and brutally wrong.

Hillsborough was a terrible, terrible event. There is no getting away from that.......But how come there aint the same media frenzy when the anniversary of the Bradford fire disaster comes round, and also the Ibrox disaster.