Two up front is not an option

the wes

PHIL SCOLARI has told Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba to forget about playing together — unless he signs a left winger. Chelsea boss Scolari insists he cannot pair the strikers in the same team as a lack of left-footed players means he is unable to switch to 4-4-2.

But the Brazilian's claim is unlikely to cut much ice with either Anelka or Drogba — especially considering the recent departure of Wayne Bridge.

Bridge's move to Manchester City leaves Scolari with just Ashley Cole and Florent Malouda as natural left-sided players.

And the under-pressure coach is quick to point out that Malouda's absence through injury leaves him with little choice but to persist with 4-3-3.

He said: "I will play 4-4-2 when I have a winger who can play on the left and with his left foot.

"When you don't have players with these characteristics it is difficult to adapt one player to play in 4-4-2.

"Malouda is the only player who can play with his left foot and he is injured.

"Everyone else is right footed."

Edited by the wes

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Philipp Lahm is the best left-back in the world. I also believe he is right footed. Just because Joe Cole is not left footed does not mean he is not effective on the left. Damien Duff played as a right winger for us, despite being left footed.

Yes you can play Joe Cole on the left, but then who do you play on the right? Kalou i don't think would be ideal as a wide player in a 4-4-2 which i assume is why Scolari is bemoaning having Malouda out! But if Scolari sees Malouda as the solution then we are in deep trouble!!!!!

As I said in another thread. give Joe Cole a free role and he can switch from left to right when either of the FB's go forward.

But if our fullbacks are stopped from going forward then we have no width! But i do think we should be playing 2 up front no matter what the formation is behind just to have that extra cutting edge infront of goal where we are lacking at the moment.

But if our fullbacks are stopped from going forward then we have no width! But i do think we should be playing 2 up front no matter what the formation is behind just to have that extra cutting edge infront of goal where we are lacking at the moment.

We need to start taking risks. Imo Scolari playing it too safe as we dont have the players to properly play the system he favours.

I dont think he has any intention of playing 4-4-2 atm. With Brazil he played 3-5-2 and with Portugal he played 4-3-3, both times he had an abundance of width to call upon. We dont have that luxury atm. So he'll continue to play the system we're playing until we get funds to change things around.