Chelsea 1-0 Zenit

ZAPHOD2319

Zenit came to defend and they did that quite well for almost the entire match. Us struggling against sides who park the bus is nothing new, but thankfully Rom rose up to the occasion and bailed us out. Performance was meh, but the three points were achieved so moving on.

43 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Another less than inspiring performance, but we got over the line. It's a joy having a CF that takes his chance/s.

You cannot expect a sparkling performance against a packed defense.
You can expect siege warfare.
It could have taken 29 minutes of that, it took 69.
You may complain that we did n't get a second in the remaining 21 minutes.

48 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

You cannot expect a sparkling performance against a packed defense.
You can expect siege warfare.
It could have taken 29 minutes of that, it took 69.
You may complain that we did n't get a second in the remaining 21 minutes.

I stated "another" for a reason. I understand it's hard facing a team that is set on defending, but that wasn't the case on Saturday (putting the score aside).

Tottenham, City & Juve to come, so we'll see how things are looking.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

I stated "another" for a reason. I understand it's hard facing a team that is set on defending, but that wasn't the case on Saturday (putting the score aside).

Tottenham, City & Juve to come, so we'll see how things are looking.

We shall see. Our opponents are City-Paris-Bayern and Real.
From the rest we can lose only by chance -like WBA- or if the team becomes tired.

5 hours ago, Patrick Bamford said:

Everytime Lukaku scored for us, I love to read this thread from ManUtd forum 

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/romelu-lukaku-Chelsea.464616/page-45

They trying so hard to make him the next Morata and still act like he's the same ManUtd-Lukaku. 

4 goals in 4 games baby!!!

And already scored with left, right and head. 

One from real close, one after run and dribble, one from the box line and one header. He is dangerous everywhere:

6 hours ago, different level said:

Zenit came to defend and they did that quite well for almost the entire match. Us struggling against sides who park the bus is nothing new, but thankfully Rom rose up to the occasion and bailed us out. Performance was meh, but the three points were achieved so moving on.

4 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Another less than inspiring performance, but we got over the line. It's a joy having a CF that takes his chance/s.

Generally I agree though it was better than I feared it might be.

I had the feeling it would be a one - nil night but I expected one of those really clunky performances. I don't think we quite got that although there are still too many times when we did Zenit's work for them. The percentage of movements which ended due to poor execution or bad choices was too high once again.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

11 hours ago, Pizy said:

Very disappointing that we still haven’t seen the Lukaku & Werner partnership form the start yet. I thought for sure TT would want to try to establish an understanding between the two ASAP so we can use them together often.

Even more disappointing that Chilly is still out of the team. One of the best LB’s around and can’t get a kick… 😑

Point 1: yeah I agree why oh why aint he playing Timo instead of Ziyech who I don't rate one bit.

Point 2: Chillwell like you say is a LB and as we know TT likes WB's so that's why he gate the nod.

1 hour ago, bigbluewillie said:

Can someone tell me why is Barclay and RLC on the bench? Barclay has been on the bench for the last 2 games

Because there's a place on the bench. 

But yes I am surprised also with that RLC substitution. Didn't expect him to see the pitch till January move. 

8 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Point 1: yeah I agree why oh why aint he playing Timo instead of Ziyech who I don't rate one bit.

Point 2: Chillwell like you say is a LB and as we know TT likes WB's so that's why he gate the nod.

1. Werner is genuinely useless against low blocks. 

2. Chilwell is undoubtedly Tuchel's #1 if we look at last season. You can tell when Chilwell played last night he still isn't match sharp. 

4 hours ago, Mana said:

I wonder if Barkley is in future TT plans. Maybe for the League Cup competition.

He is here because they could not find another team to pay his wages for a loan. It was reported during the transfer window that Ross and Danny were given the option to void their Chelsea contract so they could sign with another team as a free transfer. You never know if those reports are true.

7 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

He is here because they could not find another team to pay his wages for a loan. It was reported during the transfer window that Ross and Danny were given the option to void their Chelsea contract so they could sign with another team as a free transfer. You never know if those reports are true.

The case of Barkley is just infuriating, such a talent.

Drinkwater on the other hand.. yeah..

On 15/09/2021 at 14:04, DH1988 said:

I would say it's equally infuriating. Drinkwater was a good footballer when he wasn't a liability off the pitch. 

On 15/09/2021 at 20:04, DH1988 said:

It's a trend with English footballers, unfortunately. Some bounce back whilst others throw away their careers.