• Bakayoko (sub)
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Moses (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)
    • Christensen (sub)
    • Rudiger (sub)
    • Piazon (sub)

Just now, Mana said:

Well, duh. We don't have a striker. No surprise. It's alarming, but we kinda knew that already.

It's not only the striker. We just don't have enough goalscorers in the team. We used to have at least 3-4 players scoring at least 10-15 per season. Now, we'll be lucky to even see 2 get past that mark!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of positives through 2 matches but also several concerns. Biggest of which is the LB position. Neither Alonso nor Emerson have looked even a little bit good. Teams exploited our wide areas last season but now with us pressing much higher we're even more vulnerable. I trust Azpi on one side, but the left side could be a serious problem.

44 minutes ago, DDA said:

The team isn't defending as a unit. Alonso is slow as fuck. Ampadu is still learning the role and Luiz has been out for a long time. I wouldn't read too much into it. Emerson along with Rudiger/Christnesen and a defensive understanding from the team as a whole will improve all concerned.

43 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Agree but we have been without kante and arguably a whole 1st choice defence and keeper. Lots of improvement needed in this department but we at least have big changes in personnel to help with this.

I don't disagree but we're gonna be relying on some of these lots that played today and it's a concern that they can't even do the simple things properly!

33 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

This is first "real" preaseason game under Sarri and people already complain. 

:lol:

What did you expect, Sarriball to just happen instantly? 

We will watch this shit for next two seasons probably and get embarassed against many quality sides before we actualy get hold of attacking football. 

Thats the price of going into attacking style after decade of park the bus football.

Now get your shit together and support the team. You wanted Sarri and fancy football, no?

I just hope the club sticks to this philosophy for once and wont sack Sarri in two months. Because its clear as day our team will need long time to adopt ti pressing and high line defending. Expect shit defending for a while. 

But support the team regardless.

This post should be a made to read by all.

Bakayoko is bad.. how can a pro player misplace basic passes?...we should sell him and cut our losses... keeping him in the squad is a serious mistake..

Long diagonal passes will easily bypass our press especially if the press is not co- ordinated.... more opposition teams will use this tactic...we should be prepared for that...I didn't like the idea of our wingers dropping back to defend their full back... Hazard will not like doing that .

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not only the striker. We just don't have enough goalscorers in the team. We used to have at least 3-4 players scoring at least 10-15 per season. Now, we'll be lucky to even see 2 get past that mark!

I think Morata, Pedro, Hazard and Barkley can hit those numbers. Add Martial to the squad and we're set

35 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

Who needs martial. Lets give this kid minutes.

we need Martial as a number 9, not a winger

I am absolutely convinced he would be a monster as a striker in Sarriball

He played striker for Monaco all the time

He was my fathers favourite player there (my father spends a lot of time in Monaco for years), and said he was making a huge mistake going to Manc U back several years ago, as they played such negative football (lol, the same could have been said of us at thew time, ffs)

14 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

Add Martial to the squad and we're set

Ermmm, GK? We are so fucked there ATM. Also RW (unless Willian is staying, and even then I think we are lacking, but oh well) and deffo another AMF (no way Barkley can play every minute every game) unless RLC can truly adapt there, and sell the deadwood

Also LB is shaping up to be Emerson or nothing, Alonso looks for shit in a back 4

35 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Ermmm, GK? We are so fucked there ATM. Also RW (unless Willian is staying, and even then I think we are lacking, but oh well) and deffo another AMF (no way Barkley can play every minute every game) unless RLC can truly adapt there, and sell the deadwood

Also LB is shaping up to be Emerson or nothing, Alonso looks for shit in a back 4

I meant that with Martial we would be set in attack. Morata/Batshuayi, Giroud, Hazard, Martial, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi, Moses is good enough for me for next season. 

And yeah you're obviously right, a new GK has to be bought. There are some decent options available like Schmeichel and Cillessen, not world beaters but good enough for the job. Why the board hasn't been able to sign one of these guys already is beyond me. 

27 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

I meant that with Martial we would be set in attack. Morata/Batshuayi, Giroud, Hazard, Martial, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi, Moses is good enough for me for next season. 

And yeah you're obviously right, a new GK has to be bought. There are some decent options available like Schmeichel and Cillessen, not world beaters but good enough for the job. Why the board hasn't been able to sign one of these guys already is beyond me. 

Moses shouldn’t be in contention for this upcoming season. People talk about selling Willian and Cesc as if they are deadwood but Moses is genuinely deadwood and has to go. Hudson-Odoi will be a feature in the squad this season I’d imagine so I’d rather he got Moses spot in the squad because at 17 he already offers more than Moses does in an attacking sense.

Schmeichel is no use for a Sarri team either I don’t think. Good keeper but his distribution is a issue. Cillessen fits the bill but not sure his shot stopping is actually that good.

9 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

I apparently am the lone voice out there who wants Thomas Strakosha from Lazio, who I really rate highly. Donnarumma is not going to happen I think. Alphonse Areola from PSG is another option. Schmeichel isn't good enough with the ball IMHO. He plays way too many hit 'n hope long balls. I could live with Cillesson. We could have had Alban Lafont for an insanely low price (Fiorentina somehow signed him for only 8.5m euros). Only 19, already has 3 full Serie A seasons under belt, and I think has a good shot at being France's national keeper in the 2022 WC. 1.93m, incredibly quick, great with the ball too.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

I apparently am the lone voice out there who wants Thomas Strakosha from Lazio, who I really rate highly. Donnarumma is not going to happen I think. Alphonse Areola from PSG is another option. Schmeichel isn't good enough with the ball IMHO. He plays way too many hit 'n hope long balls. I could live with Cillesson. We could have had Alban Lafont for an insanely low price (Fiorentina somehow signed him for only 8.5m euros). Only 19, already has 3 full Serie A seasons under belt, and I think has a good shot at being France's national keeper in the 2022 WC. 1.93m, incredibly quick, great with the ball too.

You may well be the only one that's seen him play, to be honest.

1 minute ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

You may well be the only one that's seen him play, to be honest.

I watch a lot of Serie A footie, so you may be right. I watch very little La Liga, unless its one of the big 3 or its a La Liga team in Europe. I watch a little Bundesliga too, if I am looking at particular players or managers. I REALLY rate Julian Nagelsmann, from Hoffenheim. Was hoping we might get him if Sarri deal collapsed. He is only 31 (turned 31 five days ago) and actually turned down Real Madrid, lol. I cannot blame him there, as that is a HOT SEAT position. He then signed a pre-contract to go to RB Leipzig next summer.

I have posted videos of Strakohsa before.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

IF we don't buy any more players, and IF they do not make the first team squad, we are in deep shit, IMHO.

Of this I am most adamant on and sure of.

The squad is poor in multiple positions already GK (which is a true nightmare if Courtois leaves), LB, potentially AMF, both wings except for Hazard (especially if Willian is sold) and of course striker too.

Take those two out and it's looking even worse. Panic level worse. (as that means no LW backup at all, as Pedro is starting RW, No RW backup either (if Willian is sold). No quality CB backup unless you move Azpi over (Cahill is shit, and I don't rate Luiz as top quality) and that means Zappacosta is our RB:(

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Agree but we have been without kante and arguably a whole 1st choice defence and keeper. Lots of improvement needed in this department but we at least have big changes in personnel to help with this.

People are reading into friendlies too much again..Calling out performances of individual players/CB's and what not.

TBH, I've been surprised with how quickly our team is adapting to not just the new tactics, but just reverting back to a back 4 again.

A lot of our defenders particularly the wing-backs have the 5-at-the-back mentality drilled into them over the past couple of seasons.

I'm just hoping for our regular first-teamers to slot in comfortably as well, considering the little time left for the start of the season.