Essien out for 'several months'

riks12

The good news amongst all the doom and gloom is the reporting (Mail/Express) that Mikel will be back against Man City and Drogba is set to return........

Having Mikel back is a massive boost......

Not sure what the injury situation is like with Ballack but having Mikel back is excellant news. We have quite a few games comming up now for the rest of September and we need as many fit players as possible to get through them all without any serious problems...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Essien suffered a knee injury playing for Ghana on Friday. He has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and will undergo an operation as soon as the majority of the swelling has subsided. We expect this to happen in a week's time.

In the meantime Michael has started rehab in the aqua therapy centre at Cobham which will improve the condition of the knee prior to surgery. A return to full fitness is not expected for several months

Source: Chelsea FC

No-one couldve predicted this but am I only one to be totally pissed off about Scolari's apparent lack of interest in the size of our squad over the summer? He was so busy patting himself on the back for only spending £8million on Deco - leaving Gollum to concentrate all his efforts on one deal which ultimately proved fruitless - I'm really starting to think people were right about the difficulties he'd have adapting to the Premier League after so long in the international game.

Because even with the season only just starting, to me, it looks like he hasnt made a proper assessment of exactly what he needed to compete. We let Maka go and now that Essien's out long term we'll struggle. Not only that, but he knew from the start that Drogba was out and yet he appeared to take very little interest in whether Kenyon got Robinho or not - as we all know, that didnt happen either and there was no plan B, so we're left with Anelka who we all know isnt good enough.

And what's worse - its too bloody late to do anything about it now.

No-one couldve predicted this but am I only one to be totally pissed off about Scolari's apparent lack of interest in the size of our squad over the summer? He was so busy patting himself on the back for only spending £8million on Deco - leaving Gollum to concentrate all his efforts on one deal which ultimately proved fruitless - I'm really starting to think people were right about the difficulties he'd have adapting to the Premier League after so long in the international game.

Because even with the season only just starting, to me, it looks like he hasnt made a proper assessment of exactly what he needed to compete. We let Maka go and now that Essien's out long term we'll struggle. Not only that, but he knew from the start that Drogba was out and yet he appeared to take very little interest in whether Kenyon got Robinho or not - as we all know, that didnt happen either and there was no plan B, so we're left with Anelka who we all know isnt good enough.

And what's worse - its too bloody late to do anything about it now.

Missing one player long term isn't going to kill us.

It was said all along and it was the right thing to do to trim the squad right down. Scolari wanted Deco and Robinho - he got Deco missed out on Robinho but was clearly happy to carry on without him if it didn't happen.

One of the reasons for the smaller squad is so that Scolari can have space to bring through some young players, he is a man who has done this in the past and looks set to do it again which is one of the clubs long term policies.

If problems become so desperate then the young players are going to have to step which is what we want to see. I don't see a major problem just because Essien is out for a long time. We can cope, it will become difficult if more injuries get picked up but how can you ever predict that.

Massive blow to the club, but if Mikel can stay healthy I think we will be OK. Getting Drogs back finally will be a big boost as well.

Scolari could have done a better job in the window, but what's done is done. We will be OK....

Missing one player long term isn't going to kill us.

It was said all along and it was the right thing to do to trim the squad right down. Scolari wanted Deco and Robinho - he got Deco missed out on Robinho but was clearly happy to carry on without him if it didn't happen.

One of the reasons for the smaller squad is so that Scolari can have space to bring through some young players, he is a man who has done this in the past and looks set to do it again which is one of the clubs long term policies.

If problems become so desperate then the young players are going to have to step which is what we want to see. I don't see a major problem just because Essien is out for a long time. We can cope, it will become difficult if more injuries get picked up but how can you ever predict that.

You cant predict but you surely have to assume your first choice eleven will suffer injuries from time to time - isnt that what manager's should do before a transfer window closes - look at what theyve got and what they need?

Scolari knew Drogba wouldnt be starting the season but mustve thought Anelka was good enough to cope - he was wrong. He also knew we'd let our most influential midfielder from the most successful period in our history go and obviously felt that was ok as well - wrong again. He knew he wanted Robinho but apparently felt if it didnt happen it wouldnt be a big deal - chances are this another under-sight on his part.

Dont get me wrong, Deco looks like a good signing but he's no miracle man!

You cant predict but you surely have to assume your first choice eleven will suffer injuries from time to time - isnt that what manager's should do before a transfer window closes - look at what theyve got and what they need?

Scolari knew Drogba wouldnt be starting the season but mustve thought Anelka was good enough to cope - he was wrong. He also knew we'd let our most influential midfielder from the most successful period in our history go and obviously felt that was ok as well - wrong again. He knew he wanted Robinho but apparently felt if it didnt happen it wouldnt be a big deal - chances are this another under-sight on his part.

Dont get me wrong, Deco looks like a good signing but he's no miracle man!

We have still got 2 players for every position, which leaves us cover all over the park - and quality cover too. Has Anelka had a poor start to the season? I certainly wouldn't say so, he has missed some chances to score, OK but i think he has still done well so far. Also we have Di Santo for striker cover. It was certainly time for Maka to move on, i don't think there was any doubt of that, and we have enough midfielders to cover.

We are sitting top of the league at the moment, and we have lost 1 player to a long term injury. I don't think it is time to start worrying yet. Our squad is top class, it is certainly smaller than last season thats for sure but if you ask me thats a good thing.

We have still got 2 players for every position, which leaves us cover all over the park - and quality cover too. Has Anelka had a poor start to the season? I certainly wouldn't say so, he has missed some chances to score, OK but i think he has still done well so far. Also we have Di Santo for striker cover. It was certainly time for Maka to move on, i don't think there was any doubt of that, and we have enough midfielders to cover.

We are sitting top of the league at the moment, and we have lost 1 player to a long term injury. I don't think it is time to start worrying yet. Our squad is top class, it is certainly smaller than last season thats for sure but if you ask me thats a good thing.

Of course we've got plenty of midfielders but do any of them do as good a job in that position? I really think Mikel can but if anything happens to him now, we'll be a lot weaker in that area imo. And Im sorry, but weighing up the opposition, Anelka is just not good enough. United have players like Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov (all fit) - can you really compare Anelka to any of them? I dont think you can realistically. To me, Anelka doesnt have the quality to cover for a player like Drogba. And losing Essien long term isnt the same as losing other players for the same length of time. He plays a large proportion of our games, he's a massive influence and there's no way we wont miss his presence.

Being top of the table right now means absolutely nothing - Arsenal spent half last season there didnt they? lol.

I think after Terry, Essien is our main man and, as a result of this injury, its going to be a struggle to compete on all fronts this season. All it needs is an injury to either Ballack or Lampard and we are pretty much fucked.

I have a couple of Man Ure fans at my work an they keep banging on that the player they fear and respect more at Chels is Essien....and they aint wrong.

I'm really starting to think people were right about the difficulties he'd have adapting to the Premier League after so long in the international game.

I made this point when Chelsea failed to land Robinho and eded up with no one as a back up. But Elliot wanned me to give the man a break. So I have.

Managing a team for a week is different and managing a team over a period of year is different. He has been caught off guard here and all of a sudden we are looking for players to fill in.