Essien out for 'several months'

riks12

The international round of fixtures began with both injury and defeat for Michael Essien.

The Chelsea midfielder was taken from the field with a knee injury midway through the first-half of Friday's World Cup qualifier in Libya after what is being reported as a cynical foul.

The remaining Ghana players went down to a single goal four minutes from time.

Second-place Ghana must now defeat Lesotho at home in their final match in October to have a chance of advancing to the second phase of the qualifiers for African nations.

Essien's injury will be assessed by Chelsea's medical team on his return to Cobham.

Source: Chelsea Official Site

In another forum someone said, he is out for about month, but I hope and think it's bollox. Let's wait for official information about that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our lack of numbers in the squad may prove difficult for us this season. We are going to need some younger players to step up this season, and we need Scolari to put some faith into them. We can't be playing people out of position all the time. Hopefully Mikel will be back for City otherwise we only have Lampard and Deco for midfield, Joe could drop in there but i think it would mean either Belletti taking up the holding role again or playing 4-4-2

MICHAEL ESSIEN could be ruled out for SIX MONTHS with a cruciate ligament injury.

SunSport has learnt the Chelsea midfielder, who was injured playing for Ghana against Libya on Friday, may have to go under the knife.

A Blues insider revealed: "After undergoing an examination, Michael's injury seems to be a lot worse than previously thought. He may have to have an operation."

The player's agent Fabien Piveteau said: "Unfortunately it's not good news.

"I am afraid it's a big problem. A big problem.

"He's taken a bad blow to the knee. I don't know exact details but I think it's not good.

"I don't know what will happen. It's now two or three times that he has taken blows to his knee."

Essien, 25, missed Chelsea's opener against Portsmouth due to injury but came back to face Wigan and Spurs.

A couple of days ago he appeared upbeat about his current problem, saying he would be out for a few weeks.

Now it seems the damage is far more serious — and that is a massive blow for Blues boss Big Phil Scolari.TheSun

Edited by the wes

MICHAEL ESSIEN could be ruled out for SIX MONTHS with a cruciate ligament injury.

SunSport has learnt the Chelsea midfielder, who was injured playing for Ghana against Libya on Friday, may have to go under the knife.

A Blues insider revealed: "After undergoing an examination, Michael's injury seems to be a lot worse than previously thought. He may have to have an operation."

The player's agent Fabien Piveteau said: "Unfortunately it's not good news.

"I am afraid it's a big problem. A big problem.

"He's taken a bad blow to the knee. I don't know exact details but I think it's not good.

"I don't know what will happen. It's now two or three times that he has taken blows to his knee."

Essien, 25, missed Chelsea's opener against Portsmouth due to injury but came back to face Wigan and Spurs.

A couple of days ago he appeared upbeat about his current problem, saying he would be out for a few weeks.

Now it seems the damage is far more serious — and that is a massive blow for Blues boss Big Phil Scolari.TheSun

I hope it's not that serious :( :(

With Ballack and Mikel also injury concerns it does also leave us very thin, lets just hope that Frank and Deco stay fit!!!

The good news amongst all the doom and gloom is the reporting (Mail/Express) that Mikel will be back against Man City and Drogba is set to return........