Tanguy Ndombele

BlueLyon

Wouldnt say hes unproven. He showed in Ligue 1 the last 2 seasons he is one of the best midfield players in France and one of the best young midfielders in Europe. As well as having been playing for France, which when you look at their midfield options is no mean feat. Honestly surprised Real, Juventus or City didnt go for him but Juve got Rabiot on a free and City have signed Rodri who is maybe better suited for them. Real maybe prioritising Pogba but Ndombele would of been an excellent signing for any team. Very capable already and will grow into a top top player. Only 22 years old with 150 games under his belt. 55m upfront with 10m in add ons in todays market for someone who over the next 10 years will be an excellent player is hardly a huge risk at all. Aouar will be the next big talent to move from Lyon. Should keep an eye on him. Be surprised ir City dont go for him to replace David Silva next summer despite having Bernardo Silva and Foden. Pep is a huge fan. We need to be in amongst the race for his signature come then.
I've already made my stance known on a host of players failing to adapt having moved from Ligue 1.

He ain't the sure thing you're making him out to be.

Just now, LAM09 said:

I've already made my stance known on a host of players failing to adapt having moved from Ligue 1.

He ain't the sure thing you're making him out to be.

Ive watched him and Lyon (really impressive young side) maybe 10 or 15 times the last 2 seasons.

For me, he is definitely not going to be a dud. Also seen him play in the flesh in February v PSG with a few mates of mines at the Groupana Stadium (if anyone gets the chance, go to a game there, was great) and cant stress enough that he will fit in over here in England and especially at Spurs with how Poch has them playing (along with Lo Celso from Betis if they sign him).

Physically he is strong, covers a lot of ground, can offer in both the offensive and defensive phase of the game. Technically he is good too. Fair enough hes not going to maybe be at his best years yet but over the next 3, 4 or 5 years he will be a brilliant player and huge fixture in the French NT if not before then. 

Hes not going to be a Veretout, Thauvin, Bakayoko, Nampalys Mendy, Benjamin Mendy (only categorised in this as of injury) or whoever. He will do very well in the PL. As will Houssem Aorar and perhaps Moussa Dembele if they ever make moves here.

If Bakayoko had confidence, he would of been a success not only in the Premier League, but for us. Make no mistake, at Monaco, Bakayoko was a dynamic and powerful midfielder. 

It's the same thing for Ndombele. Will he amount to the intensity the PL has to offer, or will he be in self doubt and follow the same path as Bakayoko. You cannot say one will make it in comparison to Bakayoko when for Bakayoko it was very much a mental thing vs his actual ability. 

• 2 weeks later...

Its 50:50. Spurs have such a bad record of integrating big money signings in their team he could be a massive flop. Despite all of their almost successes, they still have this small club mentality which might play a part in making promising players regress after signing for them. Look at Lamela, Soldado, Janssen, Sissoko etc. They all could be described as technically proficient, promising, but still never really arrived. Spurs like to sign flavor of the month cos they can not afford or attract top quality. I don't know if this guy here is the real deal chances are spurs will ruin him anyway.

Maybe it's just me but I will never fear Spurs, even if they sign Mbappe

On 7/4/2019 at 2:44 AM, BlueLyon said:

Some players do. Kante for example.

Ndombele has all the tools to quickly adopt to EPL. He is quite unique. Technique of Kovacic but way way better athlete. 

Im surprised Psg or Real didnt snatch him up. 

How is he defensively? I only watch his YouTube highlight he does carry the ball forward well. 

I am actually more surprised that United did not sign him,because I heard they are looking for a midfielder. 

Pogba - N'Dombele

Matic

Pogba can just stay up high and let ndombele carry the ball forward. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Just got bullied by McTominay

As a Scot, I have no idea what to make of McTominay, I seen some of their game today and he looked good. Same with the game against Barcelona in the CL he looked good but then there is time I've seen him and hes looked shite, for instance I seen his Scotland debut a few years ago live at Hampden and he was fucking horrific.

As for Ndombele I think that, unfortunately for us, he will be fine at Spurs and in the PL. As I've said before I think he has everything to be a huge player in the PL in his position. Pre-season is pre-season too and in terms of performances to a degree its hardly something to fully judge someone on as it is more focused on building fitness as an individual and as a collective unit. I do hope he doesn't do well at Spurs but the times I've seen him, I honestly can't see him flopping. 

• 10 months later...

Mourinho doesn’t understand Ndombele. Ndombele doesn’t understand Mourinho.

https://theathletic.com/1891033/2020/06/25/tanguy-ndombele-jose-mourinho-tottenham-spurs-psg-barcelona/

Tanguy-Ndombele-Tottenham-Mourinho-1-scaled-e1593027854714-1024x682.jpg

From public criticism to a lockdown-busting training session in the park, the seemingly tempestuous relationship between Jose Mourinho and Tanguy Ndombele has surely been one of the most fascinating sub-plots of this elongated Premier League season.

The demanding manager and the seemingly laid-back creative genius always felt like being an uneasy marriage, and so it has proved. The latest instalment in their ongoing saga saw reports circulating on Tuesday night of a training ground bust-up the previous day. Mourinho dismissed the claims in his press conference following the 2-0 win over West Ham while elsewhere, reports have varied. Some who are close to the situation say there was a conversation in which Ndombele made clear that he felt fit to play but not the heated argument that has been described in some quarters.

Either way, what was undeniable was that for the second game running, Tottenham’s ludicrously talented and record £55 million signing watched on from the bench, despite Mourinho having five substitutions available.

Ndombele has completed 90 minutes just once for Mourinho and in his last appearance against Burnley on March 7, was hauled off at half-time and told publicly that “he has to give us more than he is giving us”. Prior to that, Mourinho twice questioned Ndombele’s fitness in public, describing him in January as “always injured”.

Since then, the Premier League was halted, the pair broke lockdown rules to train together on Hadley Common and prior to the restart, Mourinho said he was pleased with how Ndombele was training. And yet, he still hasn’t played a minute since that Burnley game.

So, what’s going on? The reality is that the relationship between the two is strained — as one well-placed observer put it: the coach doesn’t understand the player and the player doesn’t understand the coach. Mourinho’s aim has always been to try and help Ndombele but as yet, the kind of reaction he was after has not been forthcoming.

Some dressing-room sources, including a few who were previously sympathetic to Ndombele, believe this is down to a distinct lack of effort on the Frenchman’s part in training. Others at the club felt that Mourinho’s public criticism of the midfielder earlier in the season were unfair. He remains a divisive issue.

Ndombele himself is not understood to have protested about those injury criticisms or his lack of playing time. A naturally quiet character, he has been disappointed not to be playing but it is not in his nature to seek confrontation.

Thankfully, he at least finally feels free of the niggles that afflicted him earlier on in the season but, having not played any football for almost four months, is not thought to be ready to play a full 90 minutes. As it stands, Giovani Lo Celso, Moussa Sissoko and Harry Winks are all ahead of him in the pecking order to play central midfield, while Dele Alli’s return from suspension blocks off his route to starting further forward.

Clearly, it’s a situation that cannot go on for too much longer — the record signing warming the bench. Should Ndombele continue not to play, then he will look to leave at the end of the season.

Spurs’ current position is that they do not want to sell the player but in the current climate, it’s impossible to imagine them paying wages of £200,000 a week for a player who is not getting minutes. As for a possible destinations, Paris Saint-Germain have made enquiries about the player, while Barcelona are understood to have contacted Spurs about a possible move. Barca’s financial troubles mean they couldn’t afford anything like the fee Spurs paid last summer but a loan with a fee and an option or obligation to buy has been mooted — if they can shift other central midfielders in their squad.

For the moment, though, despite a growing feeling that Ndombele will leave in the summer, any move remains hypothetical. His focus remains on forcing his way into the Spurs team, rather than out of the club. He’s very unlikely to start next week against Sheffield United but the following week, Spurs play three games in seven days and he will surely get his chance in one of them. Then, it’ll be up to Ndombele to show Mourinho that he is capable of the kind of application the head coach demands, and should Ndombele start getting minutes, then the situation could quickly change. Whether Ndombele’s more instinctive, mercurial style will ever be exactly what Mourinho wants from a central midfielder is open to question.

As for Ndombele himself, he is understood to feel settled in London and is enjoying living in the city, and so has no immediate desire to leave. He also loves the stadium and is said to admire the club’s owner Daniel Levy. He is not yet fluent in English but gets on well with his team-mates and is especially close with Dele Alli and Moussa Sissoko, who has taken him under his wing.

Generally, though, he is not someone who enjoys long conversations and has never been someone to especially relish talking to the media. This reticence, compared with Mourinho’s comfort in the spotlight, may also explain why the dynamic has appeared as though the manager has been swinging punches, with Ndombele sitting back and taking the punishment.

It’s worth remembering though that Mauricio Pochettino could be similarly forthright about Ndombele while he was still in charge earlier on in the season. Ahead of the campaign starting, Pochettino said his new signing was not yet ready for the Premier League, before saying in October that Ndombele could take two years to get used to his methods.

And eight months on, here we are — with a new manager but Ndombele seemingly no closer to finding his feet at Spurs. The club are desperate for the move to be a success to justify its vast expense but at the moment, there is no place for him in the team.

Given Lo Celso’s increasingly impressive form and the Frenchman’s own inconsistency, it makes sense that Ndombele is not playing. But then you think about the shimmies, the feints, the last-minute rabona crosses and long to see him on the pitch.

It’s a frustration shared by almost everyone associated with the club — including Pascal Chimbonda, a former Tottenham and France player, who was also accused of being lazy. “When you see him play, you see he has quality,” Chimbonda tells The Athletic. “But in your head, you think he doesn’t do enough on the pitch — that’s why people think he’s lazy.

“People don’t like guys who are too laid-back and when you play for Mourinho, if you don’t give everything, he will take you out of the team. He needs to step up and prove everyone wrong, and that he’s worth the money.

“If I spoke to him, I would tell him, ‘It’s time to step up. Prove you’re the player we signed — the same as when you were at Lyon, and do the same thing’ because we don’t yet see where all his talent is. Where is it hiding? Prove that we were right to sign you and then people will shut their mouth.”

https://theathletic.com/podcast/148-the-view-from-the-lane/?episode=36

On 6/25/2020 at 10:56 PM, Vesper said:

Mourinho doesn’t understand Ndombele. Ndombele doesn’t understand Mourinho.

https://theathletic.com/1891033/2020/06/25/tanguy-ndombele-jose-mourinho-tottenham-spurs-psg-barcelona/

Tanguy-Ndombele-Tottenham-Mourinho-1-scaled-e1593027854714-1024x682.jpg

From public criticism to a lockdown-busting training session in the park, the seemingly tempestuous relationship between Jose Mourinho and Tanguy Ndombele has surely been one of the most fascinating sub-plots of this elongated Premier League season.

The demanding manager and the seemingly laid-back creative genius always felt like being an uneasy marriage, and so it has proved. The latest instalment in their ongoing saga saw reports circulating on Tuesday night of a training ground bust-up the previous day. Mourinho dismissed the claims in his press conference following the 2-0 win over West Ham while elsewhere, reports have varied. Some who are close to the situation say there was a conversation in which Ndombele made clear that he felt fit to play but not the heated argument that has been described in some quarters.

Either way, what was undeniable was that for the second game running, Tottenham’s ludicrously talented and record £55 million signing watched on from the bench, despite Mourinho having five substitutions available.

Ndombele has completed 90 minutes just once for Mourinho and in his last appearance against Burnley on March 7, was hauled off at half-time and told publicly that “he has to give us more than he is giving us”. Prior to that, Mourinho twice questioned Ndombele’s fitness in public, describing him in January as “always injured”.

Since then, the Premier League was halted, the pair broke lockdown rules to train together on Hadley Common and prior to the restart, Mourinho said he was pleased with how Ndombele was training. And yet, he still hasn’t played a minute since that Burnley game.

So, what’s going on? The reality is that the relationship between the two is strained — as one well-placed observer put it: the coach doesn’t understand the player and the player doesn’t understand the coach. Mourinho’s aim has always been to try and help Ndombele but as yet, the kind of reaction he was after has not been forthcoming.

Some dressing-room sources, including a few who were previously sympathetic to Ndombele, believe this is down to a distinct lack of effort on the Frenchman’s part in training. Others at the club felt that Mourinho’s public criticism of the midfielder earlier in the season were unfair. He remains a divisive issue.

Ndombele himself is not understood to have protested about those injury criticisms or his lack of playing time. A naturally quiet character, he has been disappointed not to be playing but it is not in his nature to seek confrontation.

Thankfully, he at least finally feels free of the niggles that afflicted him earlier on in the season but, having not played any football for almost four months, is not thought to be ready to play a full 90 minutes. As it stands, Giovani Lo Celso, Moussa Sissoko and Harry Winks are all ahead of him in the pecking order to play central midfield, while Dele Alli’s return from suspension blocks off his route to starting further forward.

Clearly, it’s a situation that cannot go on for too much longer — the record signing warming the bench. Should Ndombele continue not to play, then he will look to leave at the end of the season.

Spurs’ current position is that they do not want to sell the player but in the current climate, it’s impossible to imagine them paying wages of £200,000 a week for a player who is not getting minutes. As for a possible destinations, Paris Saint-Germain have made enquiries about the player, while Barcelona are understood to have contacted Spurs about a possible move. Barca’s financial troubles mean they couldn’t afford anything like the fee Spurs paid last summer but a loan with a fee and an option or obligation to buy has been mooted — if they can shift other central midfielders in their squad.

For the moment, though, despite a growing feeling that Ndombele will leave in the summer, any move remains hypothetical. His focus remains on forcing his way into the Spurs team, rather than out of the club. He’s very unlikely to start next week against Sheffield United but the following week, Spurs play three games in seven days and he will surely get his chance in one of them. Then, it’ll be up to Ndombele to show Mourinho that he is capable of the kind of application the head coach demands, and should Ndombele start getting minutes, then the situation could quickly change. Whether Ndombele’s more instinctive, mercurial style will ever be exactly what Mourinho wants from a central midfielder is open to question.

As for Ndombele himself, he is understood to feel settled in London and is enjoying living in the city, and so has no immediate desire to leave. He also loves the stadium and is said to admire the club’s owner Daniel Levy. He is not yet fluent in English but gets on well with his team-mates and is especially close with Dele Alli and Moussa Sissoko, who has taken him under his wing.

Generally, though, he is not someone who enjoys long conversations and has never been someone to especially relish talking to the media. This reticence, compared with Mourinho’s comfort in the spotlight, may also explain why the dynamic has appeared as though the manager has been swinging punches, with Ndombele sitting back and taking the punishment.

It’s worth remembering though that Mauricio Pochettino could be similarly forthright about Ndombele while he was still in charge earlier on in the season. Ahead of the campaign starting, Pochettino said his new signing was not yet ready for the Premier League, before saying in October that Ndombele could take two years to get used to his methods.

And eight months on, here we are — with a new manager but Ndombele seemingly no closer to finding his feet at Spurs. The club are desperate for the move to be a success to justify its vast expense but at the moment, there is no place for him in the team.

Given Lo Celso’s increasingly impressive form and the Frenchman’s own inconsistency, it makes sense that Ndombele is not playing. But then you think about the shimmies, the feints, the last-minute rabona crosses and long to see him on the pitch.

It’s a frustration shared by almost everyone associated with the club — including Pascal Chimbonda, a former Tottenham and France player, who was also accused of being lazy. “When you see him play, you see he has quality,” Chimbonda tells The Athletic. “But in your head, you think he doesn’t do enough on the pitch — that’s why people think he’s lazy.

“People don’t like guys who are too laid-back and when you play for Mourinho, if you don’t give everything, he will take you out of the team. He needs to step up and prove everyone wrong, and that he’s worth the money.

“If I spoke to him, I would tell him, ‘It’s time to step up. Prove you’re the player we signed — the same as when you were at Lyon, and do the same thing’ because we don’t yet see where all his talent is. Where is it hiding? Prove that we were right to sign you and then people will shut their mouth.”

https://theathletic.com/podcast/148-the-view-from-the-lane/?episode=36

A bit like ruben, midfield that doesn't want to run cannot play for Mou

• 2 weeks later...

Really has been a strange one. Seen him play so many times in France and he was a really talented player who could have easily gone to a Madrid, Juventus or Barcelona imo, he had that skillset and physical attributes. His impact in England has been disappointing. Regardless of who he plays for, we all enjoy watching talented players play very well and he hasnt really got going. Would be surprised if Mourinho wants to keep him for next season too. Lo Celso on the other hand has been great, really coming into his own, not scored the same amount of goals but he is able to do everything, play through the lines from a deeper position, dribble players, get into the box, recover the ball etc. Gutted we never thought of signing him.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You