Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

The Business Model Needs To Change


Recommended Posts

I'm going to put this here because for me it's something that needs talking about and what needs to change in this club. I said weeks ago our outlook and model should represent that of something similar to Dortmund. Now this just didn't come to light the other night after they took apart that horrible lot from near the Seven Sisters station but something that has been a while now. I watch heaps and heaps of football, from SerieA to Ligue1 to Turkish to Austrian football and what's apparent and why I use the Dortmund model is because of their rise and fall and rise again.

Last Thursday against Spurs they didn't just win, they took them apart from front to back. Alright, I know the next Mourinho in Potch rested players because he thinks they can win the league but let's stop that there shall we. They dismantled their team by playing purely dynamic and energetic football all over and for a full 90minutes with what you could call 'Kids' too. Now amongst some of the younger lads there they was very mature and switched on lads such as Hummels, Piszczeck and Mhktiryan and including Weidenfeller. 

Now this leads me to the next point. If you watched the game you would of seen the older players guiding and controlling but the what was one of the most stand out things for me was the young lads and how they were both technically gifted but also assured in their surroundings on that stage. Weigl was tremendous, the lads 20, he looked like a 27 year old who's been playing at that level for 15 years. His distribution was quality and his stature was the most impressive thing, he was like a lord in midfield and he was loving it.

These are just a few examples not just of players but composure, and the most important thing is trust, trust in the young kids either purchased or brought through to fucking play them. One of the reasons we are we are right now is because we have been found out, why? Because the players we have, have been about for far too long and teams have not just sussed us out but our outlook has become predictable and easy to read. now, with nothing left to play for apart from pride and dignity we need to start this policy of introducing and applying right now the kids/youth. Excuses are now over, excuses are put in the skip, it's time now that come the end of the season we don't just purchase experienced players in the right age bracket we purchase and introduce. 

You can all debate who comes, goes, and who should be hung from the gallows but this is me making my point and I think personally it's the way forward for this football club. No more stupid fucking loans, no more idiotic panic purchases, and with this get fucking football people in behind the scenes to actually steer this ship correctly. Nobody can tell me that any one of our kids could of been worse than Oscar or Mikel or Cahill and Pedro....It's time to start trusting young lads, allowing them to flourish and most of all changing the business of this club because quite frankly it's predictable, boring and lifeless.

Sort it now please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cruyff:"Talent should run the business." This is how most of the successful European teams are managed. English clubs on the other hand bring in world class managers and then they make them work with some accountants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dortmund shows that we can recover from this season, they were bottom of the table in February last season now look at them, youcan say what you like about our cock up off a season but we were never in that much peril.

The basis in our squad is here, we have a world class keeper, Willian, Pedro and Hazard are a good AM trio and tbh Oscar may be a let down in terms of the potential he had but their are worse squad player's, we have a world class striker and a very promising emerging one and fullback I don't even think is too bad, which brings me into the two positions that do need surgery......

Centre back and centre midfield, Zouma could take a while to fully recover from his ACL, Terry could be gone and Cahill is a squad player no more, quite frankly we probably need two quality signings in this area, oh how I wish we snapped Alderwierld up.

Centre midfield, Matic looks like he's burnt out and Mikel (like Cahill)is a squad player at best, for me we should be signing two new dynamic midfielder and playing in a 4-3-3 with Cesc, my ideals would be Naingolan and Pogba, but if they are unrealistic then the scouts/management are paid to think outside the box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just think about the signings we've made in the last year. You literally couldn't make up a more hilariously atrocious set of transfers. It's honestly as if someone drew random names out of a hat. Someone got fucking paid to sign these players. My word.

We signed a striker in Falcao on loan who came off of an embarrassing season and has been broken beyond repair for ages now. We signed a defender from a shit Ligue 1 side that the manager at the time had never heard of or seen play and loaned him out without ever playing a single minute in our team. We signed a 20 year old kid from NY Redbulls that no one had ever heard of who will likely never play a minute in our first team. If all that wasn't enough, we sign a player in January who's literally not even close to match fit and still hasn't made even a sub appearance appearence and we're approaching the end of March.

It's like someone flicked a switch in the brains of our board members. All the work we al praised them for in the past few seasons was just flushed down the toilet. Even the deals we all thought were fantastic look shit now. We thought we were pulling one over on Everton by selling them Lukaku. He's becoming a beast now. We thought the money we got for De Bruyne was great and that Oscar was better so we wouldn't miss him. We sold the "clown" David Luiz to PSG and are now desperate for a CB that is proactive, comfortable on the ball, and mobile.

Depressing as fuck. Now we have to blow the thing up and start all over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

Just think about the signings we've made in the last year. You literally couldn't make up a more hilariously atrocious set of transfers. It's honestly as if someone drew random names out of a hat. Someone got fucking paid to sign these players. My word.

We signed a striker in Falcao on loan who came off of an embarrassing season and has been broken beyond repair for ages now. We signed a defender from a shit Ligue 1 side that the manager at the time had never heard of or seen play and loaned him out without ever playing a single minute in our team. We signed a 20 year old kid from NY Redbulls that no one had ever heard of who will likely never play a minute in our first team. If all that wasn't enough, we sign a player in January who's literally not even close to match fit and still hasn't made even a sub appearance appearence and we're approaching the end of March.

It's like someone flicked a switch in the brains of our board members. All the work we al praised them for in the past few seasons was just flushed down the toilet. Even the deals we all thought were fantastic look shit now. We thought we were pulling one over on Everton by selling them Lukaku. He's becoming a beast now. We thought the money we got for De Bruyne was great and that Oscar was better so we wouldn't miss him. We sold the "clown" David Luiz to PSG and are now desperate for a CB that is proactive, comfortable on the ball, and mobile.

Depressing as fuck. Now we have to blow the thing up and start all over.

The fucked-up transfers of the past two windows are driven by one thing - the income statement of the club and consequently the dividends that the shareholders can get.

Nothing else matters to them.  

Oh and the Board still demands for first place and trophies while insisting on spending money which is on par with what Burnley and Derby pay for transfers.  

Wants to be ambitious yet the spending is on par with what Championship clubs do. 

Conte should spit on the contract that he is given and walk away with a middle finger directed at Roman and the Board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, bellion said:

The fucked-up transfers of the past two windows are driven by one thing - the income statement of the club and consequently the dividends that the shareholders can get.

Nothing else matters to them.

We have only one shareholder and we don't pay dividends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worth noting that Castro gave up Champions League football at Leverkusen to join Dortmund last summer, also there's the Di Maria to United example.

If we make a habit of missing out on top 4 attracting players will be a problem but this summer I think we will be ok.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Worth noting that Castro gave up Champions League football at Leverkusen to join Dortmund last summer, also there's the Di Maria to United example.

If we make a habit of missing out on top 4 attracting players will be a problem but this summer I think we will be ok.

It's not about attracting top players.  It's about the willingness to pay top dollar for them instead of spunking on cheap rubbish such as Papy and miazga.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bellion said:

It's not about attracting top players.  It's about the willingness to pay top dollar for them instead of spunking on cheap rubbish such as Papy and miazga.

 

6 minutes ago, bellion said:

It's not about attracting top players.  It's about the willingness to pay top dollar for them instead of spunking on cheap rubbish such as Papy and miazga.

Miazga has got potential, Papy I'll give was pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Neither of us has the first clue about the remuneration packages of board members. I don't know whether or not they are paid bonuses and, if so, what triggers those payments. You don't either.

If it's run like a typical corporation, the more profits the company makes, the higher the compensation.  No need to be anal about defending the board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bellion said:

If it's run like a typical corporation, the more profits the company makes, the higher the compensation.  No need to be anal about defending the board.

Again, how do you know in what manner Chelsea is run? You are making an accusation against the board and imputing their motives without any knowledge of the situation. There are many things about which the board might face criticism, we don't need to make any up. In any case we've made two profits in the last goodness knows how many years stretching back to pre-Roman days. If there is a bonus structure for the board, and if it is based on profits, then they ain't doing so well out of it.

In any case there is little logic in the accusation. Look at the amount of money Roman has pumped into the club. If it was profits he was after he'd have done better to just put the money in the bank, even in an ordinary account attracting a tiny interest rate. Roman is patently not in it for the money. That being so, why would he incentivise the board to chase profits when doing so could very well be to the detriment of the success he craves? Makes little sense. Is it not more likely that if there is a bonus structure it would better reflect his goals for the club? A guess of my own about what one of these might look like:

A board member is likely to have been deputed to pilot the construction of the new stadium from gaining planning permission through to completion. That person may well earn a bonus if the stadium is allowed, and then built on time and within budget. As I say that's just a guess but it seems likely to be far closer to the sort of thing Roman would pay bonuses for. Other guess are available of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next season we need to get rid of the bad eggs in the team. I felt that way when we sacked Jose (which we will come to regret) and we should have started in January. I don't want to play Barcelona tiki taka football; I want fast counter attacks as we play now.

We must start blooding our youth, and stop binning our legends because John Terry is not expendable - Zouma plays better next to him, as does Cahill, and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that Christensen would too. I have no doubt in my mind that we would have gone through at PSG's expense had he played, it is a rare sight to see a John Terry marshalled defence concede soft goals like that.

While Mikel is a good player, he needs somebody more mobile next to him - Fabregas works to a point, but the Matic-Mikel midfield is like watching two old men on crutches outrun each other to the same ball. I don't know whether that person could be a loanee (Pasalic perhaps), Ruben Loftus Cheek (I worry for him), or somebody we need to buy but that is very important to move this team forwards as both Mikel and Fabregas need a box to box midifielder with them.

Eden Hazard must go. Sorry, his attitude has been unacceptable, he's been very poor all season long, and quite frankly I'd like to see Musonda given the opportunity - a 19 year old ripping up trees in La Liga, and as our Belgian compatriots have said, he has even more potential than Hazard did.

I remain to be persuaded on whether Kenedy can be a left back permanently but the early signs are good. In my opinion Baba is just not good enough to play permanently; his space would probably be better used by one Jay Dasilva.

Traore looks promising. Costa will stay, I love the fire he brings, the passion, and quite frankly I couldn't give less of a toss what anybody else thinks about him. Fans love him, and he is classic Chelsea, like it or not.

I have to say that Courtois has not impressed me this season, but we would be idiotic to get rid of him.

Fabregas would be my vice captain.

Therefore:

                            Courtois (Begovic)

Azpi    Zouma (Cahill)     Terry (Christensen)   Kenedy  (Dasilva)

                    Mikel (Pasalic)        B2B (RLC?)

                                        Cescy (Musonda)

   Musonda (Traore)                                            Willian (???)

                                   Costa (Traore)

 

 

 

It'll be worth keeping that many defenders around because Zouma may well never be the same again. This will be attractive to the board because it would cost very little to carry this out.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Again, how do you know in what manner Chelsea is run? You are making an accusation against the board and imputing their motives without any knowledge of the situation. There are many things about which the board might face criticism, we don't need to make any up. In any case we've made two profits in the last goodness knows how many years stretching back to pre-Roman days. If there is a bonus structure for the board, and if it is based on profits, then they ain't doing so well out of it.

What do you think they are keeping those profits for?  It's for themselves if nothing else.  If they weren't profitable in the past, that has nothing to do with them wanting to be profitable now and in the future and the best way to do that is to have a puny transfer budget or best one which is fully funded from player sales.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bellion said:

What do you think they are keeping those profits for?  It's for themselves if nothing else.  If they weren't profitable in the past, that has nothing to do with them wanting to be profitable now and in the future and the best way to do that is to have a puny transfer budget or best one which is fully funded from player sales.

Firstly apologies for having added extra content to my post after you quoted it. I was typing the addition as you were typing your reply.

This is perhaps progress though. You seem to have accepted that it hasn't happened in the past and are now aiming to criticise them for something you say they are doing currently and going forward. Let's see but what profits are you claiming they are keeping? Why would Roman let them keep his money when he'd rather it was spent on the team or at least on the stadium?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tomo said:

Dortmund shows that we can recover from this season, they were bottom of the table in February last season now look at them, youcan say what you like about our cock up off a season but we were never in that much peril.

The basis in our squad is here, we have a world class keeper, Willian, Pedro and Hazard are a good AM trio and tbh Oscar may be a let down in terms of the potential he had but their are worse squad player's, we have a world class striker and a very promising emerging one and fullback I don't even think is too bad, which brings me into the two positions that do need surgery......

Centre back and centre midfield, Zouma could take a while to fully recover from his ACL, Terry could be gone and Cahill is a squad player no more, quite frankly we probably need two quality signings in this area, oh how I wish we snapped Alderwierld up.

Centre midfield, Matic looks like he's burnt out and Mikel (like Cahill)is a squad player at best, for me we should be signing two new dynamic midfielder and playing in a 4-3-3 with Cesc, my ideals would be Naingolan and Pogba, but if they are unrealistic then the scouts/management are paid to think outside the box.

 

As for Dortmund, one thing that seperates them and Chelsea, is that they don't pressure on Champions League qualification so much. I was reading/listening what Watzke (Dortmund CEO) has to say on weekly basis when 3 Poles were playing there. They don't set their budget in the way that they have to qualify for the Champions League. It's a bonus money for them while for Chelsea it's neccesity and there is huge pressure to protect that Champions League status.

Chelsea have to think how to manage that situation with no Champions League in the future. They should include clauses in players contract. Of course not something drastic but 10%-15% cut on wages will soft the blow. Now Premier League TV deal is softening the blow greatly, ha, even gains outweight the losses as Chelsea never received as much money from the Champions League participation as they will receive that extra income from the Premier League. So now situation is not that bad money-wise.

I still don't think that Chelsea need drastic changes. I really think we're back at the square one. I look at the situation this time last year and Chelsea still need the same exact buys.

Not wholesale changes !

Dortmund didn't get radical. Remember when list in their squad went like this Weidenfeller - allow cheap goals, Piszczek - after injury he is finished, Hummels - mistake after mistake, Subotic - after injury he is finished, Schmelzer - after injury he is maybe not finished but very average, Gundogan - after injury he is finished, Reus - injuries on top of injuries, Mkhitaryan - guy couldn't score in brothel let alone on a football pitch, he can't acclimatize, Błaszczykowski - after injury he is finished, Ramos - he is useless, can't acclimatize, Immobile - very immobile indeed, useless, can't acclimatize

And all they added to the squad was one signinig, Castro, for 10m€ and 2 cheap signings in Weigl and Burki, their equivalent of Miazga and Pasalic, which here would be ridicouled. Oh, and they had a new coach !!!

So even though they were relegation-bound at the some point they didn't make drastic changes. All they needed was the right man. And sure they acquired one !

So as always, new CB, new CM, new AM and new striker. That's it. That list stands for 12 months. We need ball-playing centre back. Now seeing the emergence of Christensen I'd like that man to be some older and more expierienced player. Bonucci is a dream. We need fast, athetic but technical midfielder. Nainggolan, who else ? Attacking midfielder of talent level of Hazard. Someone who can create on regular basis. Isco is the man but surely could do worse than give Musonda a chance. And a striker. A areal competition to Diego Costa. Someone regular with good ball control, link up play and injury free.

However after emergence of Ramires departure and probable JT departure it makes that list 2 names longer as they need their replacement too.

Anyway if Conte want to dump the whole squad I hope he can do this and have power in his hands to do this but I doubt that is needed. The overdue transfers from last summer are needed and the rest are in his coaching, motivating and fitness preparing abilities.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...