Arjen Robben

diskoviolente

Considering that Robben is already 29 and the club is looking to bring in younger players, the chances of this transfer happening is very low. It obviously goes against the policy and while Robben has proved himself to be useful still, I don't think it's a good thing even if we want to take him in. He will command high wages(as if we don't have enough of those already!), still a bit injury prone as well as a suspect to blowing hot and cold on the pitch. That might have not been the case this season but certainly the past seasons have showed that. It's a risk trying to get him really.

Considering that Robben is already 29 and the club is looking to bring in younger players, the chances of this transfer happening is very low. It obviously goes against the policy and while Robben has proved himself to be useful still, I don't think it's a good thing even if we want to take him in. He will command high wages(as if we don't have enough of those already!), still a bit injury prone as well as a suspect to blowing hot and cold on the pitch. That might have not been the case this season but certainly the past seasons have showed that. It's a risk trying to get him really.

fair points but i will say that we lack that bit of cutting edge up front and Arjen Robben has a good goalscoring record and he's the kind of player who gets on the end of things.

imo, we lack any sort of dynamism up-front. As soon as our players take the ball into the final third, there's no real penetration aside from side-ways passing

anyway, just putting Robben as an option out there. I will take other Right Wingers over him but if Pep transfer-lists him, then he could be a bargain addition

fair points but i will say that we lack that bit of cutting edge up front and Arjen Robben has a good goalscoring record and he's the kind of player who gets on the end of things.

imo, we lack any sort of dynamism up-front. As soon as our players take the ball into the final third, there's no real penetration aside from side-ways passing

anyway, just putting Robben as an option out there. I will take other Right Wingers over him but if Pep transfer-lists him, then he could be a bargain addition

Think that is down more to application on the pitch. The players we have now are capable of playing the short passing game and also going beyond defenders and providing that penetrative runs as well as passes. That was evident earlier this season under RDM when we used to have players getting in behind oppositions' defence.

Mr Robben has never been the type to play well in big games. WC 2010, CL2010, CL2012 are all games that he has been in several scoring chances only to screw up majorly.

Yeah, I really hate him for that. Back home we call him the big game choker. I still wouldn't say no to him though, especially if Schurrle somehow doesn't get signed.

I'd love to see something like Moses - Hazard - Robben if we needed to pose a direct threat to a team.

Yeah, I really hate him for that. Back home we call him the big game choker. I still wouldn't say no to him though, especially if Schurrle somehow doesn't get signed.

I'd love to see something like Moses - Hazard - Robben if we needed to pose a direct threat to a team.

You mean this? When he lost you the World Cup? The thing you've been in the final for three times without winning? You mean this incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk8JNcsCUng

LOL this still hurts man :(.

Me telling you that you played much better helps?

To stay on topic, Robben is one of the biggest chokers of football history, he simply doesnt show in big games!

He's not a choker, the last thing Robben is, is afraid or nervous, because like I said he's an ego. He's a player who constantly takes shots all game without giving a fuck. Things just haven't worked out for him in the past two finals he has been in, and unfortunately for him those last two finals where the World Cup and the Champions League.

By the way I remember watching that World Cup final, and if I remember correctly wasn't Robben one on one both times? If not I'm sure he got another chance to score or something.

He's not a choker, the last thing Robben is, is afraid or nervous, because like I said he's an ego. He's a player who constantly takes shots all game without giving a fuck. Things just haven't worked out for him in the past two finals he has been in, and unfortunately for him those last two finals where the World Cup and the Champions League.

By the way I remember watching that World Cup final, and if I remember correctly wasn't Robben one on one both times? If not I'm sure he got another chance to score or something.

Choker doesn't mean afraid or nervous. It means not being able to perform as expected in high stakes and important moments. You could argue that it's caused by nerves and whatnot but that is just semantics.

Choker doesn't mean afraid or nervous. It means not being able to perform as expected in high stakes and important moments. You could argue that it's caused by nerves and whatnot but that is just semantics.

Mario Gomez doesn't do well in big games because he goes out there with a different head and mentallity, and that mentallity he simply can't play with because the expectations are bigger.

Arjen Robben is similar to Balotelli, they are ego maniacs, they will just want to score more and probably go for the glory. Could be a reason why it's never worked for Robben, Balotelli on the other hand seems like a big game player too me.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this, as I don't know the players in person obviously, but that's just what it seems to me.

Mario Gomez doesn't do well in big games because he goes out there with a different head and mentallity, and that mentallity he simply can't play with because the expectations are bigger.

Arjen Robben is similar to Balotelli, they are ego maniacs, they will just want to score more and probably go for the glory. Could be a reason why it's never worked for Robben, Balotelli on the other hand seems like a big game player too me.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this, as I don't know the players in person obviously, but that's just what it seems to me.

I understand what you are saying and I agree to a degree but his ego shouldn't stop him from converting one-on-ones and penalties like he didn't do in the WC10, CL10, and CL12.

I understand what you are saying and I agree to a degree but his ego shouldn't stop him from converting one-on-ones and penalties like he didn't do in the WC10, CL10, and CL12.

I didn't watch CL 10 did he choke in that match too?

I really like Robben, he has so much talent, he's just a technically great player. But it's his mentallty what lets him down, he can make a great first touch take on some players but when it comes down to it he can be frustrating as he's let the team down by not passing and that seems to of effected his last 2 or perhaps 3 moments in the finals.

But maybe if he didn't have that confidence he wouldn't be the player he is in the first place. You know they say a League 2 player can do just about as much in terms of technical abillity as a Premier League player, but it all comes down to mentallity, but of course that's what football is. We can learn how to kick a ball can't we, and once that's out the way we have to think about it next time to improve our game.

#SIDETRACKED sort of, It's an interesting theory though don't you think? At least worth discussing, Robben is a strange one, I mean I believe Robben can do just as much as Ronaldo in terms of abillity, but when it comes down to it Ronaldo does so much more. Maybe it's the mentallity or is Robben actually a long way off Ronaldo?

I didn't watch CL 10 did he choke in that match too?

I really like Robben, he has so much talent, he's just a technically great player. But it's his mentallty what lets him down, he can make a great first touch take on some players but when it comes down to it he can be frustrating as he's let the team down by not passing and that seems to of effected his last 2 or perhaps 3 moments in the finals.

But maybe if he didn't have that confidence he wouldn't be the player he is in the first place. You know they say a League 2 player can do just about as much in terms of technical abillity as a Premier League player, but it all comes down to mentallity, but of course that's what football is. We can learn how to kick a ball can't we, and once that's out the way we have to think about it next time to improve our game.

#SIDETRACKED sort of, It's an interesting theory though don't you think? At least worth discussing, Robben is a strange one, I mean I believe Robben can do just as much as Ronaldo in terms of abillity, but when it comes down to it Ronaldo does so much more. Maybe it's the mentallity or is Robben actually a long way off Ronaldo?

As you said, he takes a lot of shots and if one of them went in, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. It is a strange one because he seems up for the big games i.e he doesn't go anonymous. He did run clear of the defence for the one-on-one's. It's in the final third where he's had a problem.

Against Inter, Robben had a good game. He was consistently beating Chivu on the rigth wing but he failed to deliver in the final third. He had few chances as well. Not as clear cut as WC final but chances nonetheless and he failed to convert. Against Chelsea, with the defence so deep, it was worth it to take a punt from outside the box if there's no passing option. Robben did that 2-3 times but failed.

i don't think he's a choker in terms of game-performance but he is a choker with his finishing.

i don't think he's a choker in terms of game-performance but he is a choker with his finishing.

Which means his teams don't win the game, which means nobody will remember the first two thirds, which means people will remember him as a choker!

I really wish he wasn't a failure in the big games because I actually really like him, but he is indeed a failure in the biggest 3 games of his career so far (and it isnt a small one, he is already 29). He has had good games, like you said, but hasnt delivered in the end, which is what ultimately matters.

I got impressed with him against Barcelona though, he was immense. If Bayern comes to win UCL with him being a big part of it, then you can say that at least in the club level, he has redeemed himself...

I don't think he's a big game player if i'm honest. He bullies the small teams but in big games he get's outdone because he's a bit of a one trick pony. He did play well against Barca though i must admit but since the UCL final and then the Euro's, his self confidence seems to have taken a battering which can be understood of course but those few months certainly took a lot out of him. Hopefully that performance against Barcelona is the catalyst for him to return to top form. An in form Robben with Hazard and Mata behind Falcao = a word bigger than the dictionary has to offer.

Anyway i can't see it.

• 4 weeks later...