Bosingwa - First Impression

Having seen very little of Bosingwa prior to Euro 2008, I was somewhat skeptical about the amount of money forked out for him. But since watching him for Portugal in their warm up matches and now the tournament proper, I've been very, very impressed. He is a very disciplined defender, who has plenty of speed and a good reading of the game. Going forward he is also very sensible, dropping back to provide defensive cover but he is also very clever on the overlap. I know this is too little to judge him by, but if he continues in this vein, I feel we have signed a very good defender and possibly solved our right back problem.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: You're right there I guess. We'll have to wait until this time next season before we can properly see how much of an impact he will have made, but he seems to enjoy playing under Scolari and its clear Big Phil likes him because Bosingwa is keeping a very good full back in Miguel out of the team.

He looks good to me.

But Ferreira was good when he first joined it's just kind of fizzled out now.

Fair point. No doubt it will take him for him to adapt to the football, the culture and the like, but I'm certain the amount spent on him will be proven to be worth it.

I must say i have been very impressed so far! He reminds me a lot of the way Ahsley Cole plays. Hopefully he can transfer this form to Chelsea once the season starts. Working under Scolari will certainly help. Time will tell as always but we do seem to have signed a very good right back.

Yes, he is very tenacious, much like Cole. If he is as good as Ashley Cole is for us, then we've definitely landed a top player.

It is hard to judge from a players performances at a tournament like this, but when watching him his style definately reminded me of Cole, which is a very very good thing. Our defence with a top class right back will be as strong as possible, which if we are hoping to play more attacking football it will need to be.

Pacy, obviously loves getting forward -and as someone said theres a comparison with Cole. Only criticsm would be he was caught out not tracking back a couple of times, and was rescued but I'm sure Big Phil has threatened him now....

Pacy, obviously loves getting forward -and as someone said theres a comparison with Cole. Only criticsm would be he was caught out not tracking back a couple of times, and was rescued but I'm sure Big Phil has threatened him now....

Full backs who push forward tend to get "caught out" every now and then. I don't think this is a flaw of his. The only question we should ask is how he will adapt to a different type of football. Thankfully he knows how to work under Scolari, so training-wise there should be no suprises for him.