Atmosphere at Home Games

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West Brom? If anything it will be worse. He's criticized the fans before and it made no difference. Personally, even if he is trying to deflect attention away from a piss poor performance he should shut his gob about the fans. Maybe if he was on the wage most regular fans are who pay £55 to watch Mo Salah miscontrol a 10 yard pass he can genuinely claim to have this connection with the fans but while he is on a few million a year not knowing how difficult it is to afford to go he can shut up.

tumblr_m0qr5sbi0t1qgcra2o1_500.gif

Fan reaches out to JT re Joses comments

joecfcdavies

Hi JT, I thought I would write to you because I feel you're someone in the club who would understand, because you're a fan like us and many of us believe something needs to be done. As much as we all love Jose, his comments yesterday was not called for and was completely bang out of order for people who pay ridiculous prices each week to watch Chelsea. Here lies the first issue, pricing. It has become so expensive following football now that many proper fans are being priced out of going to Stamford bridge and being replaced by tourists who of course won't be singing or making noise. Another one problem is the stewarding, the problem is as soon as people try to stand up and make an atmosphere (you're obviously not gonna have atmosphere sitting down) we get threatened with ejection if we don't sit down so no one wants to make an atmosphere now in fear of getting chucked out. Another problem is the away fans in the famous shed end. If the away fans were in the west upper or East upper then they wouldn't be heard as much as we have a bigger platform to make noise. There are many solutions to the atmosphere problem like singing sections, safe standing, cheaper tickets but the club has done nothing. As you know John our away support is brilliant, because we are standing all game, not being threatened to be kicked out and tickets are generally cheaper. The whole point i am trying to get across is ths all well and good Jose slagging off our support but will he actually do anything about it?
because
down thing needs to be done rather than just slagging off people who pay loads of money to be told to sit down or face ejection from the stadium. Sorry to bother you JT but as our greatest ever player and a fan yourself, I feel you have influence and understand what we are feeling.

Regards, Joe.

johnterry.26

Joe

I'm just about to go and train but will contact you after training today.

Please send your number. JT.

Mr. Davies' points are well made. Chelsea's home support is widely considered poor, but the away fans are magnificent, and the problem, therefore, cannot be solely, or even mostly, down to the fans themselves. Blues fans have long complained about the stewarding at home, and as Mr. Davies says, being threatened with ejection for standing up and making noise is a good way to ensure that there is no noise.

The real story here, of course, is that the captain is willing to get involved. John Terry has won three Premier Leagues and the European Cup, but is still responsive enough to fans to get involved in this sort of issue. It's fantastic that Terry's still close enough to the community to recognise that this is an issue to be taken seriously and talked about. I'm sure Mr. Davies isn't the only fan who's reached out to Chelsea, but good work in talking to the captain. He's just the kind of ally supporters need here.

I have no idea what happens next, but I imagine that both captain and manager will be all aboard the 'increased support' train, and I hope that some of Chelsea's policies are re-evaluated. If Jose's words spark real change, then I think we can all agree that they're for the best, regardless of the slightly tone-deaf way in which they were delivered.

As I said in his thread, I don't think JT has enough influence at the club anymore to change anything.

Although, change in this matter is now probably much possible with Gourlay gone.

Why do you think that?

Football changes. Atmosphere changes.

A combination of:

- less working class attendees at games

- increase in women attending games

- full seater stadiums

- more 'tourists'

- stricter drinking regimes

- a lowering in drinking pre-match

- ticket pricing

- lifestyle changes (people don't spend their whole Saturday revolving around football)

The atmosphere at away matches is much better as (in general) more committed fans attend, there is a higher concentration of men, the crowd stands for 90 mins, people drink more before the match and there are no 'tourists'.

We can't expect to sell the Premier League to 'the world', attempt to attract money through sponsorship , attempt to attract younger and female fans to the ground and still keep the 'atmosphere'. It's unfortunate but football crowds have evolved.

:clap:

Tim Rolls also did a big piece about ticket prices a while ago if anybody is interested in reading it - http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/9/19/6412279/chelsea-fc-the-changing-cost-of-football-at

Well the reason why away support is much better it's because the price are cheaper right?

So if that's the true then that's your answer.

But then again that might be the same issue for a lot of top clubs.

Would add...

No pyro...

No standing...

Have to book your tickets a month in advance and sit miles away from your mates...

Not allowed to swear...

Not allowed to drink in the stand...

The exact opposite of every stadium in world football where the atmosphere is quality...

On the positive, the very fact that the club has to look at this now because the one man who can make people take notice, Jose, has raised it.

Im 77 I can't shout as loud or sing as long or stand as long as I could 40 years ago .

Our fans are older than they were 30 years ago ,,, Why ,, TICKET prices .

I wont criticise " Tourists" .. I have been a "Tourist " wherever I have lived or visited .

Some members here may visit the Bridge only once in their lifetime .. NEVER insult them .

The NUMBER one tourist visited Chelsea about 3 years ago ,, Name Steve ... read his account of his visit .

Fulham will JT be posting his response?

Also all agreed with. Standing probably the biggest problem.

Will post his reply if/when he comes back.

One way to alleviate the problem would be to put the away fans back in the east lower, fuck it, east upper.

Why do you think that?

If anyone does, JT does.

It's no secret that the club has been trying (and has succeeded) in eliminating any player power within the team since even before the AVB fiasco but especially after. You can clearly see the influence of players, specifically older players, on the whole club decisions and direction have gone down massively since Scholari's for example. (Ashley Cole brought a rifle to training, ffs!) And no one was more powerful than JT himself. If you believe some reports, he would borrow Roman's yacht whenever he wants and bring his family and friends to use the facilities at Cobham regularly...etc. All gone. Biggest evidence maybe was that there was a genuine possibility of him even not being offered a contract.I reckon he probably regained some of it with Jose's return but I highly doubt he still have power to influence executive decisions by the club like the ones being discussed here.