Jase

MOTM  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your MOTM?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing performance - the opponent's quality doesn't matter when you decide to play like that from start to finish. We never sat on our lead. We looked for the goal the whole match. That's an attitude from a winning team.

Can't really agree with that. So if we lose to Bayern or Real people will conclude it's lack of attitude, not the opponent's quality.

Jose himself employs completely different strategies depending on the opponent's quality (and other factors).

Let me put it this way: perhaps we looked for the goal the whole match because we knew the opponent had no quality to hurt us. Likewise, we did not look (at all) for the goal when playing City away from home.

Someone, not me certainly, might suggest Jose erred in starting Remy and too strong a team to play a very weak opponent. Is goal average that important later on? Just wondering.

Can't really agree with that. So if we lose to Bayern or Real people will conclude it's lack of attitude, not the opponent's quality.

Jose himself employs completely different strategies depending on the opponent's quality (and other factors).

Let me put it this way: perhaps we looked for the goal the whole match because we knew the opponent had no quality to hurt us. Likewise, we did not look (at all) for the goal when playing City away from home.

Someone, not me certainly, might suggest Jose erred in starting Remy and too strong a team to play a very weak opponent. Is goal average that important later on? Just wondering.

We did look for the goal, got it and nearly got a second.

Yes we were defensive in that game but being defensive doesn't mean not looking for a goal, even in The Nou Camp second half in 2012 we were looking for a goal.

Mou plays the big away games spot on in my opinion, try to win but also be mindful that a draw away to a competitive rival isn't the end of the world. Fergie was the same, and it's why they win titles for fun and the purists who think the team should play "there way" regardless of oppo win fuck all.

Even though it was only Maribor, we played well. We were vibrant and looked threatening throughout. It has been a while since we last put an opponent to the sword.

Another win on Matchday 4 should see us qualify already. Shame that Sporting cracked up against Schalke! :doh::rant:

I honestly tried to understand your point, but I failed. It makes no sense to me.

We looked for the goal all matches we played this season - except the first half against City. So I really don't get your point. We played Arsenal, Everton, (plus Swansea and Villa during their best moments in the league) and they certainly could have hurt us. Some of them even did, but we drew more blood.

We played much weaker sides at Bolton, Sporting, Palace, Burnley and Leicester.

What could possibly be your point? It doesn't make sense when we look back because despite how we approached each game we played this season we've been a very positive team, looking for the goal except for 45 minutes of football in our biggest title rival's turf. Whether it was very weak teams or decent sides, we aimed to dominate those matches and we did. There isn't one match a part from City this season that we haven't dominated - even the draw against Schalke.

And if we come to lose to RM or Bayern this season, it could be for about a million reasons. Nobody is going to make an automatic assumption just because we showed determination to keep scoring against a weaker side. I really don't get your view on this.

We did look for the goal, got it and nearly got a second.

Yes we were defensive in that game but being defensive doesn't mean not looking for a goal, even in The Nou Camp second half in 2012 we were looking for a goal.

Mou plays the big away games spot on in my opinion, try to win but also be mindful that a draw away to a competitive rival isn't the end of the world. Fergie was the same, and it's why they win titles for fun and the purists who think the team should play "there way" regardless of oppo win fuck all.

Agreed.

Also, against weaker sides, he will let our very slow CBs move up a bit. Against guys who can punish us, he will keep our defense line very deep. That changes everything attacking wise.

I honestly tried to understand your point, but I failed. It makes no sense to me.

We looked for the goal all matches we played this season - except the first half against City. So I really don't get your point. We played Arsenal, Everton, (plus Swansea and Villa during their best moments in the league) and they certainly could have hurt us. Some of them even did, but we drew more blood.

We played much weaker sides at Bolton, Sporting, Palace, Burnley and Leicester.

What could possibly be your point? It doesn't make sense when we look back because despite how we approached each game we played this season we've been a very positive team, looking for the goal except for 45 minutes of football in our biggest title rival's turf. Whether it was very weak teams or decent sides, we aimed to dominate those matches and we did. There isn't one match a part from City this season that we haven't dominated - even the draw against Schalke.

And if we come to lose to RM or Bayern this season, it could be for about a million reasons. Nobody is going to make an automatic assumption just because we showed determination to keep scoring against a weaker side. I really don't get your view on this.

I quoted a very specific statement from your post and that's the one I disagree with.

I got from your post, at least that specific sentence, that you think all it takes for us to win is will. So I ask you now, do you believe that our team is so superior to others that having the will essentially guarantees the win? Because I thought we were lucky against City - an opponent with just as much quality as we have (hence the low block as mentioned above). We have a couple of deficiencies that could be exploited by the opponent.

We played against an extremely weak side today. Reckon Hazard wages would come close to covering their entire starting XI.

I personally don't care for these type of games. Gotta win them and if by scoring a bunch of goals, good, but nothing more than your obligation considering the difference between the squads. Make no mistake we've got a VERY expensive squad!

There is only one reason that may lead Real and Bayern to beat us and that is quality; quality our adversary today does not come close to having. English outfits would be far more physical and defend better, and deeper. Then we go into characteristics too.

Speaking of determination and will, that's part of the package when Jose signs players. He always values the determination and work rate aspects of the game and demands that from his players. That's why Mata went and Oscar stayed. Jose is right and our squad will ALWAYS show determination which is part of overall quality. However, like you said, for a million reasons, things may not work out. Perhaps the opponent can stop Hazard like City did. Or they will keep the football for most of the game like Barca, PSG, and Bayern do (or try).

It will take more than the opponent today for us to find out how good we really are. It will take time and to come out of this very weak CL group we got - not complaining btw just stating facts and option.

We won 6-0 but still.... unbelievable some people in here

OK let's just play Championship teams then! Great idea right!? We are going to win many times by 4-6 goals... Again, because we have excellent and very expensive players...

However, for us to win the CL we actually have to beat the likes of Bayern, etc. If beating these nobodies by 6 is enough for you, then great. It is certainly not that important to me. Grinding a result next Sunday is - a match that will be just a bit more difficult than today's.

cech was the GK and deserves all the credit when a goal is not scored from a pen.

also, messi and schweini hit the bar and the post. so cech does not deserve any credit for those too?

Not really no.

Although he DID actually save the schweini one so he deserves great credit for that.

Fair enough if you want to give him 'credit' when someone hits the post. But you can't say he 'saved' it.

Not really no.

Although he DID actually save the schweini one so he deserves great credit for that.

Fair enough if you want to give him 'credit' when someone hits the post. But you can't say he 'saved' it.

why not?

watch the "chelsea : KINGS of Europe" video and how cech describes the messi penalty. not moving, not giving away which way he is going to dive and forcing the striker to choose the more difficult option of smashing it in the far corner rather than just passing it the other way, the GK deserves the credit for that.