Controversial football opinions

Victor Von Doom

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh the abstract principle of 'quality'

Those leagues are also a lot slower than the EPL - you get time on the ball - and there lies the problem with players in those leagues coming to the EPL, some make the transition, others don't do so well :)

I guess it's down to what you prefer to watch - I love the pace and aggression of the EPL - versus La Liga - Bundesliga sits between those two IMHO - but is 100% a one horse race with Bayern!

As for the EPL - not sure how many years you have been watching it? But don't let the table deceive you - we had a similar position a few years back and finished outside the Top4 - but as we won the CL still qualified.

Arsenal bottled a lead last year. The EPL is still unpredictable - it won't be plain sailing - anybody who believes that is on a hiding to nothing :)

The two leagues I listed are a lot slower, I agree with you. That's undeniable. But they're also a lot more technical rather than being all about pace and power. Think it's all just a personal thing, I'd rather see a team that's great with the ball rather than a team that wins games because of their physical traits. Also this year there's a slight chance Bayern won't win the title, which actually shows how strong they've been so far to be able to have teams like Schalke and Dortmund in their league but still manage to win it easily

Been watching it for a decade now, I know that the season has only just begun but I genuinely believe 1st spot is ours to lose already.

The Real Madrid 'Galacticos' of the early 2000s are the biggest underachievers in football history.

Look at the team they had- Figo, Zidane, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, Beckham, Raul, Casillas etc. it was by an absolute mile the best and most talented squad (not just the best XI) in the world between 2000 and 2007.

In those 7 years they won only 1 Champions League, 3 league titles, 2 Super Cups and a Club World Cup. If you think of the best players of the era 2000-2010 how many played for Real Madrid? The majority, particularly between 2000-04. There were other good teams in Europe like us and Barcelona, AC Milan around 2004-2007 but in terms of squad depth and quality only AC Milan came remotely close. Top teams like Bayern Munich, Man United and Juventus were all in a bit of a lull and not as strong as they are today yet Real Madrid only managed one European cup in that time.

In the league their challengers were Barcelona and for a period Valencia (Rafa Benitez's achievements with Valencia winning the league should be regarded as highly as, if not higher than Diego Simeone's title win last year). Barcelona had the best player in the world in Ronaldinho and Eto'o was then one of the best strikers in the world but Cocu, Saviola and Rivaldo were maybe a step below the Galacticos.

O yea, people forget the bs in the awards now...

Where everyone votes for them friends/buddies, so PRESTIGIOUS!

My name is vincent kompany and I voted for ribery, yaya and eden hazard.

My name is buffon and I chose pirlo

My name is RVP and I chose Robben...

My name is Cristiano and I give bruno alves the captaincy so he can vote for me......

My controversial opinions:

Stoke and Palace have the best fans in England if not the world.

I appreciate and respect the way Arsenal have run themselves as a club in the PL.

Busquets is the most over-rated player in world football atm.

Aguero is better than Suarez.

We should go back to the maximum 6 foreign players in 23 man squad limit in PL, limit of 3 in the Championship and limit of 1 below that.

The German national team that won the '14 world cup would have beaten the Spain national team that won the '08 euros, the '10 world cup and the '12 euros.

Drogba is less of a club legend than Lamps and JT, and his legend has been over-inflated because of the romance of scoring the winning CL penalty.

My controversial opinions:

Stoke and Palace have the best fans in England if not the world.

I appreciate and respect the way Arsenal have run themselves as a club in the PL.

Busquets is the most over-rated player in world football atm.

Aguero is better than Suarez.

We should go back to the maximum 6 foreign players in 23 man squad limit in PL, limit of 3 in the Championship and limit of 1 below that.

The German national team that won the '14 world cup would have beaten the Spain national team that won the '08 euros, the '10 world cup and the '12 euros.

Drogba is less of a club legend than Lamps and JT, and his legend has been over-inflated because of the romance of scoring the winning CL penalty.

Chelsea/any epl team without their foreign players would be shit....

I. I.. wa... waha... what :blink: Without trying to be disrespectful, I think you're trying to be controversial right now!

I think he's useless. I honestly didn't know it was a controversial opinion until I saw the love-in for him on this forum. So no, not trying to be controversial.

Chelsea/any epl team without their foreign players would be shit....

While you're probably right, Arsenal this season prove it could be possible. Their 6 foreign players could be: Ozil, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Debuchy, Ospina and Sanchez and 13 of their 17 British/HG/U21 players could be: Szczesny, Chambers, Gibbs, Wilshere, Zelalem, Ramsey, Ox, Gnabry, Miyachi, Walcott, Welbeck, Jenkinson, and Sanogo.

That would mean only 4 from the youth academy needed. And that's Arsenal's current team minus Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Cazorla, Diaby, Rosicky, Giroud, and Podolski. Hardly much weaker and the current Arsenal team is decent. It is do-able.

I think he's useless. I honestly didn't know it was a controversial opinion until I saw the love-in for him on this forum. So no, not trying to be controversial.

He's an automatic starter for one of the best teams in the world, he displaced Toure at the age of 22 (I think :lol:) He's amazing, he's one of those players that never get recognition until you lose him / he retires