I feel this question has to be raised

After our triumphant victory over Liverpool, a serious question has to be asked.

Grant has done what Mourinho just could not - beat Liverpool in the Champions League. Is it luck? Is it tactical nous? Or is it a one off? Or was Benitez just José's bogey team?

We had plenty of luck in the first leg with Riise's own goal, but in the second - we got no luck, good nor bad. We won on pure merit, all the refereeing decisions were correct (yes, including Essien's goal that was disallowed).

For me, the reason we won tonight, was because we attacked Liverpool. We created chances and we scored goals, something Mourinho didn't seem too keen to do. It worked against most teams, but against Liverpool, it played into their hands. This was Grant's decision, Grant's move, well we can assume so. So well done Grant! Never thought I'd be saying that after the Carling Cup Final but he seems to have learned some lessons.

He'll never be Jose, but tonight, he has proved himself better in one area - vs Benitez.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lampard hugged Grant, so it seems there is a bond. And imho Chelsea's tactics were about perfect, but I don't think it was only Grant's favour. I will give him his credit, he showed some passion (wow) but I have to question his decision to field Shevchenko (striker) for Lampard (midfielder) after we had to protect our lead. Well done, we didn't concede, but was this the right move ?

Anyways, I won't judge his decision, because you don't judge over winners.

Players gave absolutely everything, Rafa put Drogba on fire, Rafa's tactics weren't the worst but our players were just better and outmanouvered them. Teamspirit, skills, fitness, backroom staff and the manager got us through tonight.

Well done to all Chelsea team !

After our triumphant victory over Liverpool, a serious question has to be asked.

Grant has done what Mourinho just could not - beat Liverpool in the Champions League. Is it luck? Is it tactical nous? Or is it a one off? Or was Benitez just José's bogey team?

We had plenty of luck in the first leg with Riise's own goal, but in the second - we got no luck, good nor bad. We won on pure merit, all the refereeing decisions were correct (yes, including Essien's goal that was disallowed).

For me, the reason we won tonight, was because we attacked Liverpool. We created chances and we scored goals, something Mourinho didn't seem too keen to do. It worked against most teams, but against Liverpool, it played into their hands. This was Grant's decision, Grant's move, well we can assume so. So well done Grant! Never thought I'd be saying that after the Carling Cup Final but he seems to have learned some lessons.

He'll never be Jose, but tonight, he has proved himself better in one area - vs Benitez.

Sorry elliott, but i think mourinho would of won tonight as well.

Lampard gave a tight hug to Grant. I think all seems well there.

That Fat Guy deserves some credit. We often criticised his subs when we lost, but his subs against Liverpool in both the legs, and against Man you, and not to Forget Arsenal were spot on. They produced results. We dont know if Jose would have produced this result or not. 4 semi final's against Rafa(2 FA CUp 2 UCL) Jose couldnt beat Rafa, Grant Does it. So lets stick to the present and give the Team, the manager, the backroom staff, Credit for making history.

I got to be honest about the fact that I was very sure that Chelsea would make it to the Final's right from the beginning. Because eveything was in favour of Chelsea. Final's at Moscow(Roman's Home), relativelyeasy fixtures, second leg at home. It cant get easier than this. Something tells me we are destined to beat Manchester United.

all the refereeing decisions were correct (yes, including Essien's goal that was disallowed).

Care to explain? Essien hits the shot right in the goal., it wasnt as if he passed it to our players in the offside position. Also, it dint rebound off the Goalie on to our striker. Had the score remained on 2-2, we would have been cribbing about that decision, just like we did about that invisible goal.

When Essien scored I assume it was because Reinas view was obscured by players in an offside position

Well it could be down to the team. I would say motivating factors of Lampards mothers death, and Benitez dig at Drogba were ten times more influential than Grant could ever wish to be.

Grant is a parasitical irrelevance. Could have been you sat there on the bench Elliott.

Ranieri on the radio this morning, (not a bad bone in his body, and never one to slag anyone off) was asked if it was Grant or the team that got us through. he said , diplomatically, it was the team, Ten Cates, Clarke, the club spirit ... and Grant

Sorry elliott, but i think mourinho would of won tonight as well.

You 'thinking' Jose would have won tonight means nothing, he's had his chances in the past and never gotten past Liverpool in the CL, Grant has done it on his first go, we did it convincingly and we played very well, especially in extra time due to Avram's changes.

I'm not defending Grant, I still want him out, but he deserves to stay. I won't forgive him for all of those early errors, however you must sympathize, he hadn't managed a big team ever, he was bound to make a few errors, he's been making up for it recently.

You 'thinking' Jose would have won tonight means nothing, he's had his chances in the past and never gotten past Liverpool in the CL, Grant has done it on his first go, we did it convincingly and we played very well, especially in extra time due to Avram's changes.

1. Mourinho had to play at anfield in the second leg twice.

2. Grant has a better options than what mourinho had i.e anelka.

3. Grant has the luck you really need in the champions league.

The one thing i have critisised Jose for is the way he has approached the Liverpool CL games, i always felt that he was too negative and played into the hands of the scousers!!! Last night we didn't, we had a real go at them! Even when we tried to protect the 1 - 0 lead and let it slip we came right back again and went at them again.

Earlier on in the season everyone stuck the boot in on Grant because he couldn't win the "big games" or against the "big teams". Now we have seen a team under his "management" beat Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool..... maybe he is growing into the role. Maybe it is because we have our squad fully fit again! Who knows....

I certainly don't think that he is good enough to manage us and i don't want him in charge next season. Although now i feel he will be..... like i have said unless it was always planned for him to leave at the end of the season. But now i just have the feeling he will be here next season................

all i would say is don't get caarried away, you either want him out or you don't..

if you say he was brilliant and jose had his chances etc etc.. and he deserves to stay, then just don't wish he was out mid-season next year...

you have to think if you were the manger would you have done any different substitutions? the team still plays like we did under mourinho.. the subs are the same, hell even the RB is the same..

That is another good question, would Jose won last night? Perhaps he would have, but I feel he would have been too negative. Maybe he would gotten our defence working better, which means it would have been okay, but honestly I feel there would be no difference to our defence with Jose in charge and maybe we'd have lost the game...

If we can win the Champions League without a good manager... well perhaps we are looking at a Benitez scenario!

grant deserves his credit and i think its time he got some, even though evertone has given him shit he has done the one thing jose could not and thats get us to a final and im over the moon with the result

i also read this

TERRY: AVRAM DOUBTS ARE `UNBELIEVABLE`

John Terry says it is "unbelievable" that anyone would still question Avram Grant after he led Chelsea to their first Champions League final.

The Israeli is still only getting the most begrudging of praise for his part in Chelsea's march to Moscow and for the fact that the Blues are taking the title race down to the final two games.

Chelsea captain Terry said after the win over Liverpool in the semi-final, when asked whether Grant had done enough to keep his job: "I would have thought so. It's for the club to make that decision, but things have been very good and results don't lie.

"To get to where we are and to still question the manager's the role at the club is unbelievable. You look at the League table since the manager has taken over and he's been very good. All we can do once we're out there and once the manager is in charge, is our best.

"That's what we've done to get to the Champions League Final. I think he deserves respect.

"The club has never got to a Champions League Final before."

But owner Roman Abramovich missed both games because of business commitments in Russia.

Source :http://www.football365.com

this liverpool team is the top scorer in the champions league....

players like fernando torres is much more dangerous than djibril cisse

give grant where credit is due....he did well

Unbelievable that all of a sudden some people want him to stay. We haven't won the CL nor the PL yet, so we can stay trophiless (which I highly doubt)... It's still a Jose's built team and he has an easier job because those players were already ready for the challenges. IF we face an exodus in summer, then we'll see how current Chelsea staff will resolve the situation. We still don't know what effect Grant can have on players when there is no strong basis before he gets them.

Had I got Clarke and Ten Cate working for me, even I would've been able to beat Liverpool :P

i didnt think i would say this but we really should look at grants record since taking over, its not half bad

we were 10 points behind the league leaders, and now were level, and he has got us to our very first champions league final, it was said last night on youre on sky sports that managers do all they can to prepare a team for a game then as soon as they go over that white line its down to them and i have to agree, grant has gone a good job, sometime is substitutions are a bit strange and sometime we feel that we should be up motivating the team from the touch line, but remember the gooners at home, his subs won us the game!

he deserves respect from his own fans i feel after last night!

the facts are simple, jose didnt get us to the champions league final but avram has....