New Cech Injury

Not wanting to take any chances, he could be out for a while now Skyspurts

Chelsea are sweating over the fitness of Petr Cech ahead of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg clash with Fenerbahce.

Cech has just recovered from an ankle injury and was expected to return to The Blues' starting line-up on Tuesday.

However, he is reported to have suffered a fresh injury after taking a knock to the head during training on Sunday.

Due to Cech's previous head injury, which saw him suffer a fractured skull at Reading last season, Chelsea will not want to take any chances with the Czech No.1.

Cech, who still ears a rugby-style skull cap for protection during games, suffered a cut which needed medical attention.

Although not through to be serious, sources have told the Czech media that he is a fresh doubt for the Fenerbahce game.

Italian Carlo Cudicini has been standing in for Cech, but the West London giants are desperate to get their No.1 back into the starting line-up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

emm....alumnia?

valencia second choice hiderbrand?

thats all....Chelsea have the best 2nd choice haha

Aluminium is awful and Hildebrand is now first choice at Valencia as Santi Canizares has been suspended by the club for the rest of the season and possible permanently.

Ok, myabe I'm being a little over zealous being a keeper myself, but Carlo is very reliable and has made a few good stops in the last few games. I'd take him over any other EPL goalkeeper other than Van der Sar, Friedel, James and Cech.

Daily Mail reporting that Petr could be out for as long as SIX MONTHS with this injury.

Awful news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1779&ct=5

Cech was taken to the Saint John-Saint Elizabeth Hospital in London for surgery on a laceration that a Chelsea source disclosed yesterday 'went right to the jaw bone'.

The Chelsea keeper had 30 stitches sewn in the deepest area of the wound that stretches from his bottom lip to his chin, a further 20 on the outside of his face and also required plastic surgery 'for aesthetic reasons'.

Although Chelsea coach Avram Grant claimed that he expected Cech to return to first-team action within two weeks, it is feared that he may even miss Euro 2008 with the Czech Republic.

Sportsmail understands that English is taking advice from boxing experts on the recovery time and the worst-case scenario for an injury this serious is six months on the treatment table.

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech is understood to have required an astonishing 50 stitches in the facial injury that has wrecked his comeback bid.

Cech was on the brink of a return for tomorrow night's Champions League quarter-final second leg against Fenerbahce but the training-ground accident required immediate facial surgery yesterday and has now put him out of action for a further two weeks at least.

Cech, who had only just recovered from an ankle injury, is believed to have been hurt in an accidental collision with Israeli defender Tal Ben-Haim.

The Czech Republic international had a lengthy lay-off with a fractured skull last season and still wears a protective helmet.

Manager Avram Grant had earlier confirmed the facial injury, which has rocked his preparations for the return clash with the Turks, although he stopped short of naming the other player involved.

Grant confirmed: 'I don't feel so good about it. But any player who is injured does not make me happy.

'He has been a little bit unlucky this year. He was great in training and felt very good. He got injured in training and will be out for two weeks or something like that.

'It was a tackle between two players, it does not matter who the other player was. What matters is that he is injured. This year has not been a good year for him, it is his third injury.'

soccernet.com----

I think the Daily Mail must have been exagerating a bit, two weeks ain't that bad.

Edited by SuperSheva7

Sounds like he's taken studs to the face, with some force. :huh:

EDIT

Just watching SSN, they say it was Ben-Haim that did it :rolleyes: .

They read out tomorrows newspapers and one says it was as though part of his face was hanging off. :mouthclosed:

Must have been serious. Get well soon.

Edited by Hazboom

50 Stiches...hmmm.....Pretty sure his cheek tore off.

I think it is high time something has to be done to protect the Goalkeepers. Steps should have been taken right after the life threatening challenge by Hunt on Cech.

They are the most vulnerable people on ground. No wonder they say Goalkeepers have to be very brave on the field.

There was an incident in my school tournament, where the opposition goalkeeper jumped to collect the ball from a corner kick and in the process got the tooth of my team player stuck in his head as they both went for the ball. The Goalkeeper went into Coma and the Midfielder lost his front tooth...That was horrific.